Helter Skelter: The True Story of the Manson…

Helter Skelter: The True Story of the Manson Murders (original 1974; edition 2001)

by Vincent Bugliosi

Member:peptastic
Title:Helter Skelter: The True Story of the Manson Murders
Authors:Vincent Bugliosi
Info:
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned

Helter Skelter by Vincent Bugliosi (1974)

Columbine by Dave Cullen (kathleen.morrow)
    kathleen.morrow: Both are well-written, intriguing (and chilling) investigations of atrocious crimes. Also, both challenge common assumptions about the crimes they narrate.
    Black Mass: Whitey Bulger, the FBI, and a Devil's Deal by Dick Lehr (kathleen.morrow)
    Serpentine by Thomas Thompson (Moomin_Mama)
    Moomin_Mama: Both books stay taut and focused despite the sheer amount of detail involved, and for that they make fascinating and very readable case studies.
    In Cold Blood by Truman Capote (artturnerjr)

English (37)  German (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (39)
This is not the first time I've read Helter Skelter, a timeless book that is as fascinating as it is frightening. This well written, detailed account of the Manson family, their beliefs and their actions is chilling. Mr. Bugliosi takes the reader through the rampage, the murders, the investigation, the trial and the aftermath, in an explicit account that will stay with the reader indefinitely. I first read this book shortly after its publication, and forty years later, I still find it to be an outstanding account of a terrifying cult leader and his followers. ( )
  KarensStories | Apr 22, 2014 |
The first part was interesting, and a little shocking to see just how incompetent the LA police were. However, I quickly lost interest ( )
  bke | Mar 30, 2014 |
This audiobook took me clearly, step by step, through the who, what, where of the Manson murders as well as the necesssity of a district attorney to be incredibly knowlegeable of the law and facilitate that knowledge quickly. This is history writing at it's best. If I hadn't been living in California when the tv news hit about the murders, I could have easily believed I was listening to a novel.
  33racoonie | Feb 17, 2014 |
Perhaps it's because this happened so long ago that I found this slow going. I really had to slog my way through. When I was finished, I didn't have any clearer idea of this crime than I did when I started this book. It seemed more like Bugliosi's pat on his own back rather than a good true crime story. ( )
  cmasson17 | Jan 21, 2014 |
I read this in the mid 70's. Scared the life out of me. I remember I lived alone in a two-story condo at the time. I often read in bed. Bugliosi mentions how they liked to break into people's homes, very quietly, while the owners were asleep upstairs, and move all around the house just for fun and to see it they could get away with it. I remember they had a name for these escapades, don't remember for sure, was it "Creepy-Crawly?"
So I'd be upstairs, alone, at night, reading "Helter Skelter," and I kept wondering if they were doing the "Creepy-Crawly" downstairs, and I just didn't know it because they were so quiet. Had some scary nights, but, of course, I didn't stop reading. Great book. ( )
  afinch11 | Aug 22, 2013 |

Vincent Bugliosiprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gentry, CurtAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
To Gail and Blanche
It was so quiet, one of the killers would later say, you could almost hear the sound of ice rattling in cocktail shakers in the homes way down the canyon.

A national bestseller—over 7 million copies sold. "[A] social document of rare importance."—The New Republic

Prosecuting attorney in the Manson trial, Vincent Bugliosi held a unique insider's position in one of the most baffling and horrifying cases of the twentieth century: the cold-blooded Tate-LaBianca murders carried out by Charles Manson and four of his followers. What motivated Manson in his seemingly mindless selection of victims, and what was his hold over the young women who obeyed his orders? Here is the gripping story of this famous and haunting crime.

Both Helter Skelter and Vincent Bugliosi's subsequent Till Death Us Do Part won Edgar Allan Poe Awards for best true-crime book of the year. 50 pages of black-and-white photographs

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:46:38 -0400)

Prosecuting Attorney in the Manson trial, Vincent Bugliosi held a unique insider's position in one of the most baffling and horrifying cases of the twentieth century: the cold-blooded Tate-LaBianca murders carried out by Charles Manson and four of his followers. What motivated Manson in his seemingly mindless selection of victims, and what was his hold over the young women who obeyed his orders? Here is the gripping story of this famous and haunting crime.… (more)

W.W. Norton

Two editions of this book were published by W.W. Norton.

Editions: 0393322238, 039308700X

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,364,976 books! | Top bar: Always visible