Helter Skelter: The True Story of the Manson…

Helter Skelter: The True Story of the Manson Murders (original 1974; edition 2001)

by Vincent Bugliosi

2,610None2,282 (3.97)60
Member:peptastic
Title:Helter Skelter: The True Story of the Manson Murders
Authors:Vincent Bugliosi
Info:W. W. Norton & Company (2001), Edition: Older Edition, Paperback, 689 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned

Helter Skelter by Vincent Bugliosi (1974)

Recently added byRowanMayfair, private library, zzscady, S.D., otisscarbary, MiaCulpa, bke, toedebw, tamoui
1960s (35) 20th century (9) American (11) biography (27) California (42) Charles Manson (99) crime (168) cults (49) drugs (11) ebook (8) history (50) Hollywood (13) law (13) Los Angeles (22) manson (40) Manson Family (19) Manson murders (12) mass murder (13) murder (96) mystery (8) non-fiction (307) own (13) read (36) serial killer (47) Sharon Tate (20) to-read (36) trial (13) true crime (376) unread (11) Vincent Bugliosi (17)
    Columbine by Dave Cullen (kathleen.morrow)
    kathleen.morrow: Both are well-written, intriguing (and chilling) investigations of atrocious crimes. Also, both challenge common assumptions about the crimes they narrate.
    In Cold Blood by Truman Capote (artturnerjr)
    Serpentine by Thomas Thompson (Moomin_Mama)
    Moomin_Mama: Both books stay taut and focused despite the sheer amount of detail involved, and for that they make fascinating and very readable case studies.
    Black Mass: Whitey Bulger, the FBI, and a Devil's Deal by Dick Lehr (kathleen.morrow)

English (36)  German (1)  All languages (37)
The first part was interesting, and a little shocking to see just how incompetent the LA police were. However, I quickly lost interest ( )
  bke | Mar 30, 2014 |
Perhaps it's because this happened so long ago that I found this slow going. I really had to slog my way through. When I was finished, I didn't have any clearer idea of this crime than I did when I started this book. It seemed more like Bugliosi's pat on his own back rather than a good true crime story. ( )
  cmasson17 | Jan 21, 2014 |
I read this in the mid 70's. Scared the life out of me. I remember I lived alone in a two-story condo at the time. I often read in bed. Bugliosi mentions how they liked to break into people's homes, very quietly, while the owners were asleep upstairs, and move all around the house just for fun and to see it they could get away with it. I remember they had a name for these escapades, don't remember for sure, was it "Creepy-Crawly?"
So I'd be upstairs, alone, at night, reading "Helter Skelter," and I kept wondering if they were doing the "Creepy-Crawly" downstairs, and I just didn't know it because they were so quiet. Had some scary nights, but, of course, I didn't stop reading. Great book. ( )
  afinch11 | Aug 22, 2013 |
I come from a family of peace officers, so I am a true crime fan. This was the first true crime book I ever read and no book ever frightened me so badly. I remember it giving me nightmares. The Manson Family is my definition of evil and the best thing about this book is that they are all behind bars or dead today. ( )
  SheriffsGirlEllen | Jul 7, 2013 |
I am enthralled with true crime, trying to understand how people can do the things they do, how they are eventually caught, etc. This is the absolute best true crime book I have ever read. It made my skin crawl to read about the actions of the Manson Family and made my heart break for the victims. There are no words to describe just how psychotic "the family" was as is evident not only in their crimes but in their actions at trial. A definite must-read for any true crime fan, even if you think you know all there is to know about the Manson Family. ( )
  lesliewright34 | Jun 18, 2013 |

Vincent Bugliosiprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gentry, CurtAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
To Gail and Blanche
It was so quiet, one of the killers would later say, you could almost hear the sound of ice rattling in cocktail shakers in the homes way down the canyon.

A national bestseller—over 7 million copies sold. "[A] social document of rare importance."—The New Republic

Prosecuting attorney in the Manson trial, Vincent Bugliosi held a unique insider's position in one of the most baffling and horrifying cases of the twentieth century: the cold-blooded Tate-LaBianca murders carried out by Charles Manson and four of his followers. What motivated Manson in his seemingly mindless selection of victims, and what was his hold over the young women who obeyed his orders? Here is the gripping story of this famous and haunting crime.

Both Helter Skelter and Vincent Bugliosi's subsequent Till Death Us Do Part won Edgar Allan Poe Awards for best true-crime book of the year. 50 pages of black-and-white photographs

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:46:38 -0400)

Prosecuting Attorney in the Manson trial, Vincent Bugliosi held a unique insider's position in one of the most baffling and horrifying cases of the twentieth century: the cold-blooded Tate-LaBianca murders carried out by Charles Manson and four of his followers. What motivated Manson in his seemingly mindless selection of victims, and what was his hold over the young women who obeyed his orders? Here is the gripping story of this famous and haunting crime.… (more)

W.W. Norton

Two editions of this book were published by W.W. Norton.

Editions: 0393322238, 039308700X

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,507,073 books! | Top bar: Always visible