Helter Skelter: The True Story of the Manson…

Helter Skelter: The True Story of the Manson Murders (original 1974; edition 2001)

by Vincent Bugliosi

Member:peptastic
Title:Helter Skelter: The True Story of the Manson Murders
Authors:Vincent Bugliosi
Info:W. W. Norton & Company (2001), Edition: Older Edition, Paperback, 689 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned

Helter Skelter by Vincent Bugliosi (1974)

Columbine by Dave Cullen (kathleen.morrow)
    kathleen.morrow: Both are well-written, intriguing (and chilling) investigations of atrocious crimes. Also, both challenge common assumptions about the crimes they narrate.
    Black Mass: The True Story of an Unholy Alliance between the FBI and the Irish Mob by Dick Lehr (kathleen.morrow)
    Serpentine by Thomas Thompson (Moomin_Mama)
    Moomin_Mama: Both books stay taut and focused despite the sheer amount of detail involved, and for that they make fascinating and very readable case studies.
    In Cold Blood by Truman Capote (artturnerjr)

English (55)  German (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (57)
Why I Read It:

After finishing Manson: The Life and Times of Charles Manson, I knew I had to read Helter Skelter. I wanted more detail on the Manson crimes and the trial itself.

Overarching Story: 5/5

Because it’s a true crime novel, it’s hard to judge the “story” aspect of Helter Skelter. The book opened with detailed descriptions of the Tate and LaBianca murders, and the rest of the book flowed naturally from there: the investigations, the interviews, the trial and sentencing. It was well written and “easy” to read—although it takes a strong stomach to read about such horrendous crimes.

Voice/Style: 4/5

Bugliosi is clearly highly educated, an excellent writer, and extremely knowledgeable about everything having to do with the Manson crimes and trial. (He was, after all, the prosecuting attorney.) I appreciated all the detail, although some people may find it tiresome and unnecessary after a certain point.

Additional elements: 4/5

Since I read the 25th anniversary edition, I enjoyed the updates that came in the afterword of the book—sort of a “where are they now,” although even the updates are already a bit dated.

Recommended for:

Fans of true crime, ’60s and ’70s American history ( )
  blackrabbit89 | May 6, 2016 |
For as much as I love reading about serial killers, I am always completely freaked out by the experience. Like [a: Mindy Kaling|194416|Mindy Kaling|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1440718587p2/194416.jpg] once said, “I am just a woman who is fascinated by them because I’m scared of them.” Yep, that sums it up perfectly. So I don’t read true crime books very often because the paranoia would drive me insane, but when I do, I devour them.

Full review: http://joielivre.blogspot.com/2015/11/review-helter-skelter-true-story-of.html
  joiedeslivres | Apr 12, 2016 |
I love the story and the movie, but I didn't like how it was read...could have been written in a more...story like way, I guess. ( )
  imagine15 | Mar 15, 2016 |
The book was well written but how can one say they liked a book about gratuitously killing innocent people. Manson and his pathetic group of followers are a waste of oxygen. ( )
  GeneHunter | Mar 13, 2016 |
Eye opener. All about control. ( )
  Greymowser | Jan 23, 2016 |

Vincent Bugliosiprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gentry, Curtsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
To Gail and Blanche
It was so quiet, one of the killers would later say, you could almost hear the sound of ice rattling in cocktail shakers in the homes way down the canyon.

A national bestseller—over 7 million copies sold. "[A] social document of rare importance."—The New Republic

Prosecuting attorney in the Manson trial, Vincent Bugliosi held a unique insider's position in one of the most baffling and horrifying cases of the twentieth century: the cold-blooded Tate-LaBianca murders carried out by Charles Manson and four of his followers. What motivated Manson in his seemingly mindless selection of victims, and what was his hold over the young women who obeyed his orders? Here is the gripping story of this famous and haunting crime.

Both Helter Skelter and Vincent Bugliosi's subsequent Till Death Us Do Part won Edgar Allan Poe Awards for best true-crime book of the year. 50 pages of black-and-white photographs

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:45 -0400)

Prosecuting Attorney in the Manson trial, Vincent Bugliosi held a unique insider's position in one of the most baffling and horrifying cases of the twentieth century: the cold-blooded Tate-LaBianca murders carried out by Charles Manson and four of his followers. What motivated Manson in his seemingly mindless selection of victims, and what was his hold over the young women who obeyed his orders? Here is the gripping story of this famous and haunting crime.… (more)

W.W. Norton

2 editions of this book were published by W.W. Norton.

Editions: 0393322238, 039308700X

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,478,865 books! | Top bar: Always visible