Lightning by Dean Koontz

Lightning (original 1988; edition 1989)

by Dean Koontz

Member:Jenson_AKA_DL
Title:Lightning
Authors:Dean Koontz
Info:Berkley (1989), Paperback, 368 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:1010, supernatural, aliens, suspense, owned, tbr

Lightning by Dean Koontz (1988)

I was not as happy with this book as I had been with some of his others. Was a struggle to get through for me. ( )
  gail616 | Jan 26, 2016 |
Too slow... put this down and did not pick it back up. Sorry. ( )
  Marion_B | Jan 19, 2016 |
This book tells the story of Laura Shane, born during a mysterious lightning storm, who is twice saved from being murdered during childhood by a mysterious stranger whose arrival is connected to the lightning. She grows up to become a famous writer, marries, has a child and attempts to live a normal life, but is again attacked by a killer and rescued by the stranger. She learns eventually that her rescuer is from another time, and that her survival is tied in to the fate of the world. Together with her rescuer, she fights for her life and that of her son against an enemy who can travel through time and find her no matter where she goes.

I felt that there was a good amount of mystery in Lightning. Most of the mystery was focused on why Stefan was interfering in Laura's life and how he was able to do it. He knew things that he shouldn't know. Stefan was a mystery for the first part of the book, popping up in Laura's life to try to protect her at certain times.

Lightning was a little different from some of Koontz' more horror-related plots but I enjoyed the science fiction elements in the book and I thought they worked very well. Lightning was first published in 1988 and, along with Watchers, remain a couple of my favorites. Lightning was a bit different, but it was a very entertaining book and I definitely enjoyed reading it again after so many years. ( )
  Olivermagnus | Jan 17, 2016 |
Fun story well told. Really, if you tell a story that involves time travel, Nazis as the bad guys, a bit of romance, and lots of shoot-em-up, it's a pretty good start. And as always, Koontz is a darned good storyteller. ( )
  bicyclewriter | Jan 8, 2016 |
OK for Kootz I liked the twist about the origin of the time travel near the middle, it was a fun surprise. ( )
  Ghostoverlord | Nov 28, 2015 |

Dean Koontzprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brautigam, DonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The wailing of a newborn infant is mingled with the dirge for the dead. --Lucretius
I'm not afraid to die.  I just don't want to be there when it happens.  --Woody Allen
Roller coast: 1) a small gravity railroad...with steep inclines that produce sudden, speedy plunges for thrill-seeking passengers. --The Random House Dictionary
To Greg and Joan Benford.  Sometimes I think that you're the most interesting people we know.  Then I alwas take two aspirin and lie down.  But the thought persists.

A storm struck on the night Laura Shane was born, and there was a strangeness about the weather that people would remember for years. But even more mysterious was the blond-haired stranger who appeared out of nowhere - the man who saved Laura from a fatal delivery.

Years later - after another bolt of lightning - the stranger returned, again to save Laura from tragedy. Was he the guardian angel he seemed? The devil in disguise? Or the master of a haunting destiny beyond time and space?

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425192032, Mass Market Paperback)

A bolt of lightning brings a blond-haired stranger into Laura Shane's life. But is he the guardian angel he seems? The devil in disguise? Or the master of a haunting destiny beyond time and space?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:31 -0400)

Laura Shane's guardian angel, a mysterious stranger whose presence is heralded by a flash of lightning, saves her from various calamities. When lightning strikes twice, terror starts. The third time is worse!

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,247,784 books! | Top bar: Always visible