Lightning by Dean Koontz

Lightning (original 1988; edition 1989)

by Dean Koontz

2,697None2,188 (3.92)30
Member:Jenson_AKA_DL
Title:Lightning
Authors:Dean Koontz
Info:Berkley (1989), Paperback, 368 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:1010, supernatural, aliens, suspense, owned, tbr

Lightning by Dean Koontz (1988)

20th century (6) adult (5) adventure (7) audio (7) audiobook (5) dean koontz (69) ebook (18) fantasy (14) fiction (226) horror (195) horror fiction (6) Kindle (6) library (7) mystery (37) Nazis (8) novel (21) own (11) paperback (13) read (44) Roman (6) romance (8) science fiction (81) sf (8) supernatural (22) suspense (96) thriller (107) time travel (82) to-read (19) unread (7) WWII (9)

Oh, Dean. The premise of this story is actually really good. With realistic, dynamic, three-dimensional characters, it could have been a great story. Alas, Koontz doesn't write those kind of characters. It's still a decent story--some suspense, some action...and some completely ridiculous stuff that will leave you shaking your head. Yes, even in a time-travel story. It's a mixed bag.

On a personal note--this was the first "grown-up" novel I read as a kid. I was eleven. Needless to say, I loved it unequivocally back then. I will say, as a kid that age, the situations that Laura finds herself in as a child were pretty harrowing, and that added a level of feeling that I can't quite recover twenty-five years later. But I'll always have a soft spot for it this book, and for a lot of Koontz's work, for that reason.
  jonwwil | Mar 6, 2014 |
The biggest problem is that the story takes a long time to explain the plot. The interesting half is the first, as Laura is growing up. The other half which I selectively amnesiaed was Stefan setting up explosives in some building, and watching the "gate". But we don't know why, who he is, or what he wants, besides keeping Laura from dying. This building of tension would be fine, if we knew what the stakes were. Plus the explosives never result in any consequences to the plot. It falls flat because there's no investment (and because it doesn't work). If I was writing this, I wouldn't have included any of Stefan before the halfway point.

I had no idea who he was until he says what he is. I guess Koontz kept it ambiguous for the big reveal. I also didn't remember how annoying the comedienne best friend was or the main character conveniently knowing someone rich up the ass AND an underground gun dealer working out of Chuck E. Cheese who has access to biological weapons. What I'm trying to say is that the book is more flawed then I remember. ( )
  theWallflower | Jan 20, 2014 |
Lightning was my first Dean Koontz book ever. I loved every minute of it! I love the way Dean Koontz describes the characters in his stories and keeps his readers guessing. I never imagined the ending in Lightning. If you haven't read it, you should. It's a definite must. ( )
  karen.tjebben | Jan 8, 2014 |
I love this book and have re-read it a few times. The characters are likable (the ones that should be) and the story moves along quickly considering the time it covers. I consider this a suspense/thriller that offers excitement, intensity and an uplifting viewpoint. ( )
  NicoleSmith | Aug 14, 2013 |
Maybe I have very high expectation when I reading the reviews on this book in many website, I was a little disappointed.

The story is all about Laura Shane's Life, coming of age, time travel, Nazi

If someone ask me to recommended for time travel novel I think I don't recommend this, The End Of Eternity by Isaac Asimov is very very better than this. ( )
  leehua | Aug 11, 2013 |

Dean Koontzprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brautigam, DonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The wailing of a newborn infant is mingled with the dirge for the dead. --Lucretius
I'm not afraid to die.  I just don't want to be there when it happens.  --Woody Allen
Roller coast: 1) a small gravity railroad...with steep inclines that produce sudden, speedy plunges for thrill-seeking passengers. --The Random House Dictionary
To Greg and Joan Benford.  Sometimes I think that you're the most interesting people we know.  Then I alwas take two aspirin and lie down.  But the thought persists.

A storm struck on the night Laura Shane was born, and there was a strangeness about the weather that people would remember for years. But even more mysterious was the blond-haired stranger who appeared out of nowhere - the man who saved Laura from a fatal delivery.

Years later - after another bolt of lightning - the stranger returned, again to save Laura from tragedy. Was he the guardian angel he seemed? The devil in disguise? Or the master of a haunting destiny beyond time and space?

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425192032, Mass Market Paperback)

A bolt of lightning brings a blond-haired stranger into Laura Shane's life. But is he the guardian angel he seems? The devil in disguise? Or the master of a haunting destiny beyond time and space?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:56:01 -0400)

Laura Shane's guardian angel, a mysterious stranger whose presence is heralded by a flash of lightning, saves her from various calamities. When lightning strikes twice, terror starts. The third time is worse!

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,497,798 books! | Top bar: Always visible