Long Way Down: An Epic Journey by Motorcycle…

Long Way Down: An Epic Journey by Motorcycle from Scotland to South Africa (2007)

by Ewan McGregor, Charley Boorman

English (9)  Norwegian (1)  Czech (1)  All (11)
Nice easy read about places most of which I've not been to. It makes me want to hop on a bike and go.... ( )
  untraveller | Mar 10, 2013 |
The book is comprised of alternating short sections of text from Ewan and Charley describing their journey from the north of Scotland to the south of Africa on motorcycles. I had seen Long Way Round on TV, but not read the book and I had seen perhaps one episode of Long Way Down on TV. I have to say it makes better TV than books. In part this is because of the visual aspect of travel in such interesting places, and I fear in part because the writing does not really draw you in in its short diary style structure. The story though is engaging and there are descriptions, albeit to me rather superficial descriptions, of many interesting places. The book too focuses a lot on the arguments and disunity between the team and even between the main protagonists. I would have much preferred it if this had been omitted for more details of the places, the bikes and the riding. It felt like they were trying to draw me in to some petty argument and make me take sides. When I envied what they were doing, I really did not want to know about their quarrels. ( )
  Pyobon | Aug 20, 2011 |
Inferior sequel lacking the warmth of the original. ( )
  Tselja | May 2, 2010 |
Really good read of a boy's own adventure of two bikers travelling from John O'Groats to Cape Town. As they travel you really sense how much they are affected by what they experience. ( )
  cbinstead | May 23, 2009 |
I loved it, I didn't see all the episodes on TV, but the book has easily compensated. Charles & Ewan may or may not have written the book, but either way they don't try to hide that there was a team supporting them. It's a great insight into the African way of life and a great travel story. ( )
  Dajedarh | Mar 29, 2009 |

McGregor, Ewanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Boorman, Charleymain authorall editionsconfirmed
For Olivia, Doone and Kinvara for being there for me. I love you always. Charley Boorman
For Sheila, who loved the tales of our first trip; for Lou, who I wish I could tell the stories of this one, and for Eve and the girls, who I rode every mile to get home to. Ewan McGregor
EWAN: I said goodbye to Charley and left the workshop around 4.30 p.m. (Prologue)
CHARLEY: I remember the moment it started. (Chapter 1)
This is the book, don't combine with the video of the television series.

Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman travel down through Africa in a gripping and wildly entertaining new biking adventure. Visiting UNICEF projects on the African continent along their way, they come face-to-face with spectacular but unforgiving terrain, with rich cultures.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,168,856 books! | Top bar: Always visible