While I Live (The Ellie Chronicles #1) by…

While I Live (The Ellie Chronicles #1) (original 2003; edition 2008)

by John Marsden (Author)

Member:alpacaherder
Title:While I Live (The Ellie Chronicles #1)
Authors:John Marsden (Author)
Info:Scholastic Inc. (2008), Edition: Reprint, 304 pages
Tags:Operational Project

While I Live by John Marsden (2003)

De oorlog is over. Ellen, Homer en Gavin zijn op een picknick tocht richting 'The Hell' wanneer ze geweerschoten horen. Ze komen uit de richting van de boerderij van Ellen's ouders. Eenmaal terug ontdekken zij dat haar ouders en mevrouw MacKenzie (een vriend van de familie) zijn vermoord, maar ook een aanvaller is dood. Het lijkt er op dat een groep bandieten van de andere kant van de grens hen heeft vermoord. Maar was het een uit de hand gelopen overval, of ....

Ellen ontdekt dat er een groep bestaat die zich 'Liberators' ('Bevrijders') noemt, die regelmatig acties onderneemt aan de andere kant van de grens om gevangen genomen mensen te bevrijden. Zij vermoedt dat Homer er meer van weet.

Ondertussen gaat het niet goed met de boerderij. De rechter wijst een voogd aan om Ellen te ondersteunen bij de diverse zaken op de boerderij, Maar deze voogd heeft andere ideeën. ( )
  EdwinKort | Mar 23, 2017 |
I adored the (prequel) Tomorrow series. It managed to convey an imaginary war situation, full of action, yet it was somehow incredibly down-to-earth. Ellie and her friends are flawed, they get scared sometimes, they alternate between being horrified, at the verge of mental breakdowns, and wanting to brag about their heroics with pride. The series felt engaging and realistic.

This book, which still has some action, focuses more on Ellie's domestic drama. It talks about her financial and legal troubles, looking after the farm. I should have been bored out of my mind. But I wasn't. Although it wasn't as good as its five-star prequel series, I still rate this book at four-stars. I was so emotionally invested in Ellie and her friends, that I was perfectly willing to listen to her experiences buying cows at an auction, her difficulties with school. Although I loved reading about Ellie and the gang's guerilla warfare experiences, ultimately it was Marsden's writing, and Ellie's down-to-earth perspective, that engaged me most.

If you were addicted to the action of the previous books, don't fret- there are still a few action sequences- things are tense between the old Wirrawee, and the invaders over the border. They just don't seem to be the focal points of the book like they were in the previous series.

And most of the gang feature in the book at some point- Gavin, Homer, Lee, Fi. I know one of my worries after the ending of the Tomorrow series was that Fi & Lee would be cut from the Ellie Chronicles.

While I Live is exactly the sequel I wanted, and I can't wait to read the next two books. :) ( )
  Sweet_Serenity | May 20, 2014 |
The series continues on from where the Tomorrow series by this author ends. If you have not read the Tomorrow series yet, you should read that before beginning this book.

****SPOILERS****
In the months since the war has ended, Ellie and her friends and family have returned home. Some have moved on to new lives, others are trying to pick up the pieces of their old lives. All are adjusting to the aftermath of the war. Just as Ellie's life is beginning to have a sense of normalcy again, her parents are murdered by enemy soldiers in a border raid. After all that Ellie has already been through in the war, I almost feel like this is just too much for her to have to bear and I almost feel like the author has become even more cruel than fate. In addition to that Ellie finds enemies closer to home in her new guardian, and gets caught up with the Liberation.

I can see where she would become a bit of a thrill junkie after all her war experiences, but at the same point in time I feel like this poor girl just can't go on much longer after all she's been through.

I ALMOST feel like John Marsden has jumped the shark with this one. ALMOST. But I still love Ellie and friends and I can't wait to read more. ( )
  ABShepherd | May 15, 2013 |
The Genre of this book is Mystery.Ellie's past of war is suppose to be behind her.She belonged in her families farm .Her family had alot of property,they gave some property to some family members who were mean but some were nice.I would recommand this book if you like mystery books.Chris Gonzalez ( )
  beckers | Nov 15, 2010 |
The Ellie Chronicles picks up where the Tomorrow series left off. When you've been to war, when you've fought, when you've killed, how do you return to normal life? How do you cope with school, farming and parenthood when you've grown used to just surviving? Especially when your land borders on a newly formed nation?

In this trilogy we see Ellie trying to cope with normal life as she faces challenges posed by her friends' decision to join a guerrilla organisation, a corrupt lawyer and the fact that the enemy hasn't forgotten about her...

The Ellie Chronicles are well worth reading. ( )
  seldombites | Sep 9, 2010 |
For Sam Harper,
just because...
We were halfway up the spur when we heard it.

Internationally bestselling author John Marsden takes us beyond The Tomorrow Series ... but the war isn't over.

For Ellie Linton, being back on the farm with her parents is what makes the terrible things that happened during the war -- the things she, Homer, Lee, Fi, and the others had to do -- all worthwhile. It's where she belongs.

But the war won't let her go. A devastating tragedy has shattered any hope she ever had to reclaim her life, or herself. It's a new kind of fight. And the enemy isn't always from the other side of the border.

Another spectacular novel of war and its consequences by bestselling author John Marsden.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:00 -0400)

Officially the war is over, but Ellie can't seem to escape it and resume a normal life.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,518,404 books! | Top bar: Always visible