Der Soziopath von nebenan: Die Skrupellosen:…

Der Soziopath von nebenan: Die Skrupellosen: ihre Lügen, Taktiken und… (original 2005; edition 2006)

by Martha Stout, Karsten Petersen (Translator)

1,085517,675 ()54
Member:clawood
Title:Der Soziopath von nebenan: Die Skrupellosen: ihre Lügen, Taktiken und Tricks (German Edition)
Authors:Martha Stout
Other authors:Karsten Petersen (Translator)
Info:Springer (2006), Edition: 4th Printing., Hardcover, 306 pages

The Sociopath Next Door by Martha Stout (2005)

Recently added byrdyornot, AthinaM, nathanmfarrugia, hazysaffron, mslick, private library, kdutton, mahfaeraak
    Lunch with a Sociopath by Lucie Lilly Pawlak (lucie.lilly)
    American Wife by Curtis Sittenfeld (susanbooks)
    susanbooks: One of Stout's examples seems to be a not-so-thinly veiled George Bush. Interesting to read the nonfictional (but speculative) & fictional portrayals together.

English (50)  Swedish (1)  All languages (51)
I was hoping for more individual stories rather than just an expanded treatise on sociopaths. Still an interesting read though ( )
  hazysaffron | Feb 17, 2015 |
I recommend this to pretty much everyone. It's eye-opening and very useful, because chances are there is a sociopath in your life. Reading this will help you to recognize what you're dealing with and deal with it more effectively. It will help prevent you from being harmed by people who are unable to feel any emotional attachment to other people. The book also offers profound, inspiring thoughts about what conscience is, where it comes from, and how central it is to our humanity. ( )
  TrgLlyLibrarian | Feb 1, 2015 |
This book explains and defines sociopathy really well but also talks about how humans develop conscience, sociopathy and discusses the causes of both. ( )
  SebastianHagelstein | Jan 20, 2015 |
If you would like a good read to understand just what a sociopath is and how they think and operate, this would be a good read for you. It even offers suggestions for dealing with sociopaths in your own life. ( )
1 vote magnolia2 | May 6, 2014 |
After reading The Sociopath Next Door it just confirmed to me what I already knew about one of my brothers, that he is a sociopath without a conscience. From childhood he was a pathological liar, he lied for no reason whatsoever. He was always a crowd pleaser, people warmed to him and he is very manipulative.

He conned me $9000.00 in a business deal and calmly told me "Do what you have to do" when I threatened to sue him. The good thing is, most of the advice this book offered regarding how to deal with sociopaths I already apply to my brother. I make sure and have limited contact with him and keep him a safe distance away from my family and I.

This book also offered some helpful tips for identifying sociopaths which should come in handy because I do believe there are a few at the bank I am working at. ( )
2 vote Zack_Anthony | Mar 9, 2014 |
For Steve Stout, my brother and the person I think of first when I think of strength of character
Imagine--if you can--not having a conscience, none at all, no feelings of guilt or remorse no matter what you do, no limiting sense of concern for the well-being of strangers, friends or even family members.
The conscience of a people is their power. - John Dryden

Who is the devil you know?

Is it your lying, cheating ex-husband?
Your sadistic high school gym teacher?
Your boss who loves to humiliate people in meetings?
The colleague who stole your idea and passed it off as her own?

In the pages of The Sociopath Next Door, you will realize that your ex was not just misunderstood. He’s a sociopath. And your boss, teacher, and colleague? They may be sociopaths too.

We are accustomed to think of sociopaths as violent criminals, but in The Sociopath Next Door, Harvard psychologist Martha Stout reveals that a shocking 4 percent of ordinary people—one in twenty-five—has an often undetected mental disorder, the chief symptom of which is that that person possesses no conscience. He or she has no ability whatsoever to feel shame, guilt, or remorse. One in twenty-five everyday Americans, therefore, is secretly a sociopath. They could be your colleague, your neighbor, even family. And they can do literally anything at all and feel absolutely no guilt.

How do we recognize the remorseless? One of their chief characteristics is a kind of glow or charisma that makes sociopaths more charming or interesting than the other people around them. They’re more spontaneous, more intense, more complex, or even sexier than everyone else, making them tricky to identify and leaving us easily seduced. Fundamentally, sociopaths are different because they cannot love. Sociopaths learn early on to show sham emotion, but underneath they are indifferent to others’ suffering. They live to dominate and thrill to win.

The fact is, we all almost certainly know at least one or more sociopaths already. Part of the urgency in reading The Sociopath Next Door is the moment when we suddenly recognize that someone we know—someone we worked for, or were involved with, or voted for—is a sociopath. But what do we do with that knowledge? To arm us against the sociopath, Dr. Stout teaches us to question authority, suspect flattery, and beware the pity play. Above all, she writes, when a sociopath is beckoning, do not join the game.

It is the ruthless versus the rest of us, and The Sociopath Next Door will show you how to recognize and defeat the devil you know.

Who is the devil you know?

Is it your lying, cheating ex-husband?
Your sadistic high school gym teacher?
Your boss who loves to humiliate people in meetings?
The colleague who stole your idea and passed it off as her own?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:44 -0400)

[The author] reveals [in this book] that a shocking 4 percent of ordinary people--one in twenty-five--has an often undetected mental disorder, the chief symptom of which is that that person possesses no conscience. He or she has no ability whatsoever to feel shame, guilt, or remorse.... They can do literally anything at all and feel absolutely no guilt.... Fundamentally, sociopaths are different because they cannot love. Sociopaths learn early on to show sham emotion, but underneath they are indifferent to others' suffering. They live to dominate and thrill to win.... To arm us against the sociopath, [the author] teaches us to question authority, suspect flattery, and beware the pity play. Above all, she writes, when a sociopath is beckoning, do not join the game. -BooksInPrint.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,672,043 books! | Top bar: Always visible