Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

The Call of the Wild & White Fang (Vintage…

The Call of the Wild & White Fang (Vintage Classics) (edition 2011)

by Jack London

3,217302,536 (4)6
Member:DuneSherban
Title:The Call of the Wild & White Fang (Vintage Classics)
Authors:Jack London
Info:Random House UK (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 344 pages

The Call of the Wild / White Fang by Jack London

We listened to this on audio book and I didn't realize how brutal and sad this story was! Although I don't think I can listen/read it again, it was beautifully written. I really felt the pain and the sadness of Buck and could imagine the landscape of Canada/Alaska! ( )
  christianeyoungberg | Aug 30, 2018 |
A black beauty in dog form. 🐺
Buck is a dog that was sold from his serene California home to become a sled dog. After insurmountable odds and countless tragedies, Buck finally learns to become one with his wild side in Call of the Wild.
White Fang takes us on a journey with the half sled dog half wolf dog pup who shares the same name as the book. After being sold in order to save an Indian village he becomes a fighting dog who is later saved by a kindly Sheriff that teaches him to trust man again.
I think Jack London's books are popular as classics and have stood the test of time simply because of the tremendous roller coaster ride that each one takes you through. The books are skillfully written and easy to follow the heart-wrenching downfalls and short bursts of happiness as London takes you through his stories of the wild dog. London is also very skilled at making the human the villain and showing just how cruel we can be to our animal brethren.
I enjoyed these books but like I said it's a roller coaster ride. It's just tragedy after tragedy and doesn't seem to lift you up very high after the tragedies until the very end when the dogs are finally liberated. I would definitely recommend these books to anyone who likes animals or enjoys classics. ( )
  TheReadingMermaid | Jul 14, 2018 |
Brilliant. No wonder these are regarded as classics. As the synopsis suggests, reading the two novella together is a good idea. These reminded me of Black Beauty in style, yet London captures the harshness of the Northland and its people with the ever-present "Wild" that sets these two works apart. ( )
  madepercy | Nov 7, 2017 |
"Biblioteca Universal de Clásicos Juveniles"
  IICANA | Nov 4, 2017 |

Took forever for me to have time to finish all of this but we loved it. The descriptiveness and clarity used had an entrancing effect on me as stories of my childhood. I loved it. My daughter (10) also kept asking for more every night. ( )
  Sarahliz2182 | Jun 30, 2017 |

London, Jackprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bama, JamesCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gianquitto, TinaIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rothberg, AbrahamIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Old longings nomadic leap,
chafing at custom's chain;
Again from its brumal sleep
Wakens the ferine strain."
(Call of the wild)
Buck did not read newspapers, or he would have known that trouble was brewing.
(White Fang)
Dark spruce forest frowned on either side the frozen waterway.
Contains both (and only) Call of the wild and White fang.
The Wordsworth Classics edition (ISBN 1853260266) sometimes referred to as The Call of the Wild is actually an omnibus edition of both The Call of the Wild and White Fang, so it should not be combined with either individual work.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553212338, Mass Market Paperback)

The Call Of The Wild is the  story of Buck, a dog stolen from his home and thrust  into the merciless life of the Arctic north to  endure hardship, bitter cold, and the savage  lawlessness of man and beast. White Fang  is the adventure of an animal -- part dog, part  wolf --turned vicious by cruel abuse, then  transformed by the patience and affection of one man.

Jack London's superb ability as a storyteller and  his uncanny understanding of animal and human  natures give these tales a striking vitality and  power, and have earned him a reputation as a  distinguished American writer.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:04 -0400)

The call of the wild: The story of Buck, a dog stolen from his home and thrust into the merciless life of the Arctic north to endure hardship, bitter cold, and the savage lawlessness of man and beast.White Fang: The adventure of an animal--part dog, part wolf--turned vicious by cruel abuse, then transformed by the patience and affection of one man.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,418,160 books! | Top bar: Always visible