Contact by Carl Sagan

Contact (original 1985; edition 1997)

by Carl Sagan

5,331None821 (3.97)123
Member:jagmuse
Title:Contact
Authors:Carl Sagan
Info:Pocket (1997), Mass Market Paperback, 448 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:fiction, own, tbr, science fiction, made into movie, american, 20th century, 1001

Contact by Carl Sagan (1985)

1001 (33) 1001 books (24) 20th century (27) aliens (88) American (27) astronomy (85) Carl Sagan (28) extraterrestrials (23) fiction (622) first contact (74) hardcover (25) literature (20) made into movie (33) movie (30) novel (75) own (36) paperback (29) philosophy (20) read (84) religion (44) Sagan (24) science (99) science fiction (1,179) SETI (49) sf (121) sff (46) space (50) space travel (40) to-read (68) unread (42)
    Chindi by Jack McDevitt (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Strange messages from beyond our world lure humans to explore space in the hope of meeting other intelligent life forms.
    Blindsight by Peter Watts (Konran)
    Konran: A first contact tale on the pessimistic end of the spectrum. Also, space vampires. Done well. And they're not the aliens.
    The Big Eye by Max Ehrlich (infiniteletters)

English (60)  German (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (63)
I didn't care for this much, but I read it over ten years ago. I should probably give it another go. ( )
  dysmonia | Apr 15, 2014 |
I really enjoyed this book.

It was first published in 1985 and set in 1999, so it's a little dated... I especially enjoyed in this future the Soviet Union never fell.

This book is rife with great atheist and feminist quotes. The main character is a strong, self-assured woman in a field dominated by men. She's a great character. This book is way deeper and way more interesting than the Jodi Foster movie.

I'd recommend it to anyone interested in spirituality and/or philosophy. ( )
1 vote steadfastreader | Mar 18, 2014 |
Ellie Arroway goes from smart, questioning girl to brilliant radio astronomer in charge of Project Argus, a large telescope array in New Mexico being used for SETI.

One night, something comes through the air which turns out to be a communication from space. This communication is quickly dubbed The Message and carries instructions on how to build a machine. No one knows what The Machine will do after it's built but all governments want in on the technology.

When The Machine is finally built and the five scientists, including Dr. Arroway, enter something odd happens. To The Five, it's mystical experience which lasts over a day. They encounter people important to them who have died. Among them, Ellie's dad Theo, who gives a rather complex explanation of what it all means and how they got there.

To the crew members waiting for their return, only 20 minutes has passed when The Five jubilantly come bounding out of The Machine and start to tell their story. Only thing is, of course, the data that had been recorded is gone so there's no proof of what really happened. Accusations fly, The Five are told never to speak of this again and basically, given any job they want so long as they keep their mouths shut.

Contact is technologically dated but kudos to Sagan for even trying to guess from 1988 what technology would look like in 1999/2000. He missed, by a lot, but he tried. There's also political and romantic intrigue, religious quackery, and useless subplots.

It's not hard for me to suspend my disbelief when I'm reading, but what happened after The Five returned was so full of shenanigans I kept thinking, "Just stop talking Sagan!"

The worst of it was a US Government official who had been opposed to the building of The Machine to begin with threatening The Five, while conjecturing the whole thing was a conspiracy to bilk governments out of billions of dollars, especially between the US and Russian scientists. Lots of people being mean for no reason other than they could, I guess.

And then there was the thing about Ellie's dad and stepfather not being who they appeared to be that made me wince.

No ... just, no. ( )

Has the adaptation

For Alexandra,
who comes of age
with the Millennium.
May we leave your generation a world
better than the one we were given.
By human standards it could not possibly have been artificial: It was the size of a world.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671004107, Mass Market Paperback)

It is December 1999, the dawn of the millennium, and a team of international scientists is poised for the most fantastic adventure in human history. After years of scanning the galaxy for signs of somebody or something else, this team believes they've found a message from an intelligent source--and they travel deep into space to meet it. Pulitzer Prize winner Carl Sagan injects Contact, his prophetic adventure story, with scientific details that make it utterly believable. It is a Cold War era novel that parlays the nuclear paranoia of the time into exquisitely wrought tension among the various countries involved. Sagan meditates on science, religion, and government--the elements that define society--and looks to their impact on and role in the future. His ability to pack an exciting read with such rich content is an unusual talent that makes Contact a modern sci-fi classic.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:47:33 -0400)

In the year 1999 a multinational team of astronauts sets out to discover the secrets of the universe.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,493,045 books! | Top bar: Always visible