Contact by Carl Sagan

Contact (original 1985; edition 1997)

by Carl Sagan

Authors:Carl Sagan
Info:Pocket (1997), Mass Market Paperback, 448 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:fiction, own, tbr, science fiction, made into movie, american, 20th century, 1001

Contact by Carl Sagan (1985)

Chindi by Jack McDevitt (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Strange messages from beyond our world lure humans to explore space in the hope of meeting other intelligent life forms.
    Rendezvous With Rama by Arthur C. Clarke (5hrdrive)
    5hrdrive: First contact
    The Big Eye by Max Ehrlich (infiniteletters)
    Blindsight by Peter Watts (Konran)
    Konran: A first contact tale on the pessimistic end of the spectrum. Also, space vampires. Done well. And they're not the aliens.

English (71)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  French (1)  All languages (75)
So very good. 4.5 stars rounded up. I think It could've used some heavier editing to tighten up the story a bit. ( )
  heradas | May 31, 2015 |
This is one of the cases where the movie is much better than the book. The movie is among the best SF movies of all time (so far), while the book is mediocre at best. Sagan was a great scientist, even visionary, but a great writer he was not. If you want to read Sagan, I'd recommend Pale Blue Dot. ( )
  kenzen | Feb 23, 2015 |
I like the movie Contact. True, it's simplistic, but it's a fun watch. I realized that we owned the book all this time, yet I had never read it. It's *amazing* how different, yet similar the book is to the movie. I sort of understand why changes were made, but I do believe the book gave us a more dynamic, yet less sympathetic Dr. Arroway.

One thing I liked was how we followed Ellie Arroway from childhood through the entire message part. Getting a lot more about Ellie's background made it easier to understand why she was so hollow. Another think I liked in the book was that the religious debates were toned down. To me, the movie kind of hit you over the head with trite arguments.

If you like the movie, I suggest you read the book. If you haven't watched the movie, I still suggest this book as a good read. ( )
  fabooj | Feb 3, 2015 |
Loved this book... except for the last 30 or so pages. I'm sorry, Carl, but you lost me there. ( )
  ladypembroke | Nov 22, 2014 |
The story asks the question what would happen if we were ever contacted by radio by an alien civilization. Sagan was assumed to be atheist/ agnositic. Yet the book treats religion in a fair manner. The story asks the compelling questions that folks outside of Christianity that think feel are fair. It looks at the question is personal experience without supporting real world evidence enough to cause someone to believe in something?

So what would a scientist say to astronaut who came back from a journey into space claiming he met aliens yet had no artifacts to support his claim? I think the same things that they say to Christians who claim God became a man and died for peoples wrong doings. These are the main questions that Sagan explores in this story,

I would recommend to this story to everyone who wants to explore the questions of faith and belief while reading a good science fiction novel. ( )
  Cataloger623 | Nov 8, 2014 |

Has the adaptation

For Alexandra,
who comes of age
with the Millennium.
May we leave your generation a world
better than the one we were given.
By human standards it could not possibly have been artificial: It was the size of a world.
For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.
The universe is a pretty big place. If it's just us, seems like an awful waste of space.
You're an interesting species. An interesting mix. You're capable of such beautiful dreams, and such horrible nightmares. You feel so lost, so cut off, so alone, only you're not. See, in all our searching, the only thing we've found that makes the emptiness bearable, is each other.
She had studied the universe all her life, but had overlooked its clearest message: For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.
Your religion assumes that people are children and need a boogeyman so they'll behave. You want people to believe in God so they'll obey the law. That's the only means that occurs to you: a strict secular police force, and the threat of punishment by an all-seeing God for whatever the police overlook. You sell human beings short.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671004107, Mass Market Paperback)

It is December 1999, the dawn of the millennium, and a team of international scientists is poised for the most fantastic adventure in human history. After years of scanning the galaxy for signs of somebody or something else, this team believes they've found a message from an intelligent source--and they travel deep into space to meet it. Pulitzer Prize winner Carl Sagan injects Contact, his prophetic adventure story, with scientific details that make it utterly believable. It is a Cold War era novel that parlays the nuclear paranoia of the time into exquisitely wrought tension among the various countries involved. Sagan meditates on science, religion, and government--the elements that define society--and looks to their impact on and role in the future. His ability to pack an exciting read with such rich content is an unusual talent that makes Contact a modern sci-fi classic.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:08 -0400)

In the year 1999 a multinational team of astronauts sets out to discover the secrets of the universe.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,774,239 books! | Top bar: Always visible