Contact by Carl Sagan

Contact (original 1985; edition 1997)

by Carl Sagan

Member:jagmuse
Title:Contact
Authors:Carl Sagan
Info:Pocket (1997), Mass Market Paperback, 448 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:fiction, own, tbr, science fiction, made into movie, american, 20th century, 1001

Contact by Carl Sagan (1985)

Recently added byamellus, WilfriedUrban, mattsg, anheru, private library, LADAveta, Noah.Moore, erherringbone, Staizitto
    Chindi by Jack McDevitt (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Strange messages from beyond our world lure humans to explore space in the hope of meeting other intelligent life forms.
    Rendezvous With Rama by Arthur C. Clarke (5hrdrive)
    5hrdrive: First contact
    2001: A Space Odyssey by Arthur C. Clarke (5hrdrive)
    5hrdrive: A better "first contact" story.
    Blindsight by Peter Watts (Konran)
    Konran: A first contact tale on the pessimistic end of the spectrum. Also, space vampires. Done well. And they're not the aliens.
    The Big Eye by Max Ehrlich (infiniteletters)

English (80)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  French (1)  All languages (84)
A radio-astronomer has her array set toward the heavens, when after many years, something that could be a bi-numeral code is detected. Code it is, and it also contains codes within codes. The receiving civilization must be advanced enough to detect, decipher, and eventually build a machine using technologies and materials not known to mankind but detailed in the received manual.

This is an interesting twist to the ‘aliens show up and humans react’ scenario. There are years, decades, in between receiving the message and deciding what to do. Not everyone reacts the same – some believe the machine should not be built because it will be a doomsday machine for earth or perhaps a portal for hostile aliens; others have religious reasons for denying the machine be built.

And when it's built, who can say what really did happen? And who should know?

Lots of really good scientific details in this one.

Now I need to re-watch the movie. ( )
  streamsong | Jul 9, 2016 |
Interesting premise but an ending that falls flat on its face. ( )
  ShelleyAlberta | Jun 4, 2016 |
I was surprised by how much this book mentions God and religion. I can't say that there were actual aliens in this book. It is suggested but not definite. Interesting story of receiving a radio transmission from space and deciphering the code. I am glad I read the book but it wasn't quite what I was expecting. ( )
  crazy4reading | May 27, 2016 |
Fun excursion into first contact with an alien species. Sagan makes us think about many issues in this semi-prophetic rendering. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
Book club book. Book is better than the movie especially the ending info. ( )
  Greymowser | Jan 23, 2016 |

Has the adaptation

For Alexandra,
who comes of age
with the Millennium.
May we leave your generation a world
better than the one we were given.
By human standards it could not possibly have been artificial: It was the size of a world.
For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.
The universe is a pretty big place. If it's just us, seems like an awful waste of space.
You're an interesting species. An interesting mix. You're capable of such beautiful dreams, and such horrible nightmares. You feel so lost, so cut off, so alone, only you're not. See, in all our searching, the only thing we've found that makes the emptiness bearable, is each other.
She had studied the universe all her life, but had overlooked its clearest message: For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.
Your religion assumes that people are children and need a boogeyman so they'll behave. You want people to believe in God so they'll obey the law. That's the only means that occurs to you: a strict secular police force, and the threat of punishment by an all-seeing God for whatever the police overlook. You sell human beings short.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671004107, Mass Market Paperback)

It is December 1999, the dawn of the millennium, and a team of international scientists is poised for the most fantastic adventure in human history. After years of scanning the galaxy for signs of somebody or something else, this team believes they've found a message from an intelligent source--and they travel deep into space to meet it. Pulitzer Prize winner Carl Sagan injects Contact, his prophetic adventure story, with scientific details that make it utterly believable. It is a Cold War era novel that parlays the nuclear paranoia of the time into exquisitely wrought tension among the various countries involved. Sagan meditates on science, religion, and government--the elements that define society--and looks to their impact on and role in the future. His ability to pack an exciting read with such rich content is an unusual talent that makes Contact a modern sci-fi classic.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:08 -0400)

In the year 1999 a multinational team of astronauts sets out to discover the secrets of the universe.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,557,436 books! | Top bar: Always visible