Contact by Carl Sagan

Contact (original 1985; edition 1985)

by Carl Sagan

Member:aaronius
Title:Contact
Authors:Carl Sagan
Info:Pocket (1997), Edition: Reissue, Mass Market Paperback
Rating:*****
Tags:religion, math, aliens, faster than light

Contact by Carl Sagan (1985)

Recently added byccow, janda01, erslaymaker, FlorenceArt, alpenhaus, sandrikoti, rnbwpnt, Infonomist, private library
    Chindi by Jack McDevitt (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Strange messages from beyond our world lure humans to explore space in the hope of meeting other intelligent life forms.
    Rendezvous With Rama by Arthur C. Clarke (5hrdrive)
    5hrdrive: First contact
    2001: A Space Odyssey by Arthur C. Clarke (5hrdrive)
    5hrdrive: A better "first contact" story.
    Blindsight by Peter Watts (Konran)
    Konran: A first contact tale on the pessimistic end of the spectrum. Also, space vampires. Done well. And they're not the aliens.
    The Big Eye by Max Ehrlich (infiniteletters)

English (78)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  French (1)  All languages (82)
I was surprised by how much this book mentions God and religion. I can't say that there were actual aliens in this book. It is suggested but not definite. Interesting story of receiving a radio transmission from space and deciphering the code. I am glad I read the book but it wasn't quite what I was expecting. ( )
  crazy4reading | May 27, 2016 |
Fun excursion into first contact with an alien species. Sagan makes us think about many issues in this semi-prophetic rendering. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
Book club book. Book is better than the movie especially the ending info. ( )
  Greymowser | Jan 23, 2016 |
Much better than the movie. ( )
  nx74defiant | Jan 23, 2016 |
Dr. Ellie Arroway has been fascinated with the stars since she was a child. As a world-class radio astronomer, her pet project is the search for intelligent extraterrestrial life. When she discovers a message from a star 26,000 light years away, the ramifications of her work on everyone on Earth become more and more apparent. Governments interject politics into the project and are concerned with national security and defense. Religious organizations object to any research on the subject at all since it may compromise people's beliefs. When the message is decoded, it contains instructions on how to build a machine, but no one knows what the machine will do. Regardless of its actual physical function, the machine changes every person on the planet, especially Ellie and the others who worked closely on it.

I really enjoyed this book. I saw the movie several years ago, and don't really remember much about it, but nothing in the book seemed familiar from the movie. While parts of the book are a bit dated, for the most part, it holds up remarkably well over time. I really enjoyed the characters and how they developed over the course of the novel. There were times when I didn't want to put it down. The ending was also really well done.

The only reason I couldn't give this book five stars is because quite a few of the scientific passages went over my head. In his nonfiction books, Sagan usually does a really good job of explaining scientific concepts to people who don't know a lot about science. I don't think he did as good a job in this book as he usually does with that. ( )
  AmandaL. | Jan 16, 2016 |

Has the adaptation

For Alexandra,
who comes of age
with the Millennium.
May we leave your generation a world
better than the one we were given.
By human standards it could not possibly have been artificial: It was the size of a world.
For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.
The universe is a pretty big place. If it's just us, seems like an awful waste of space.
You're an interesting species. An interesting mix. You're capable of such beautiful dreams, and such horrible nightmares. You feel so lost, so cut off, so alone, only you're not. See, in all our searching, the only thing we've found that makes the emptiness bearable, is each other.
She had studied the universe all her life, but had overlooked its clearest message: For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.
Your religion assumes that people are children and need a boogeyman so they'll behave. You want people to believe in God so they'll obey the law. That's the only means that occurs to you: a strict secular police force, and the threat of punishment by an all-seeing God for whatever the police overlook. You sell human beings short.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671004107, Mass Market Paperback)

It is December 1999, the dawn of the millennium, and a team of international scientists is poised for the most fantastic adventure in human history. After years of scanning the galaxy for signs of somebody or something else, this team believes they've found a message from an intelligent source--and they travel deep into space to meet it. Pulitzer Prize winner Carl Sagan injects Contact, his prophetic adventure story, with scientific details that make it utterly believable. It is a Cold War era novel that parlays the nuclear paranoia of the time into exquisitely wrought tension among the various countries involved. Sagan meditates on science, religion, and government--the elements that define society--and looks to their impact on and role in the future. His ability to pack an exciting read with such rich content is an unusual talent that makes Contact a modern sci-fi classic.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:08 -0400)

In the year 1999 a multinational team of astronauts sets out to discover the secrets of the universe.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,904,548 books! | Top bar: Always visible