Contact by Carl Sagan

Contact (original 1985; edition 1985)

by Carl Sagan

Member:aaronius
Title:Contact
Authors:Carl Sagan
Info:Pocket (1997), Edition: Reissue, Mass Market Paperback
Rating:*****
Tags:religion, math, aliens, faster than light

Contact by Carl Sagan (1985)

Chindi by Jack McDevitt (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Strange messages from beyond our world lure humans to explore space in the hope of meeting other intelligent life forms.
    Blindsight by Peter Watts (Konran)
    Konran: A first contact tale on the pessimistic end of the spectrum. Also, space vampires. Done well. And they're not the aliens.
    The Big Eye by Max Ehrlich (infiniteletters)

English (65)  German (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (68)
When I saw the film I felt there was a lot left out. The film's narrative seemed disjointed and rushed. The book while it does fill in some of those glossed in details has its own pacing problems. After spending pages and pages explaining why something can't be done, this road block is suddenly gone. Then there's the ultimate "trip" to Vega is just as disappointing in the book (though certainly more coherent than the cinematic version). ( )
  pussreboots | Sep 20, 2014 |
"She had studied the universe all her life, but had overlooked its clearest message: For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." A great last sentence - the most compelling work of fiction I've read in a long time. ( )
  abbeyhar | Jul 23, 2014 |
  abbeyhar | Jul 23, 2014 |
Simply love this book.
  LustyRebel | May 30, 2014 |
This is probably one of my favorite books of all time. Which is kind of silly, as Sagan was crazy in the head.

Admittedly, I saw the movie version of this first before reading the book. I thought the movie was wonderful, so I wasn't surprised to find that the book was even moreso.

Eleanor Arroway is still my favorite heroine. I think her flaws are the flaws that a lot of driven people run into. ( )
  cendri | May 30, 2014 |

Has the adaptation

For Alexandra,
who comes of age
with the Millennium.
May we leave your generation a world
better than the one we were given.
By human standards it could not possibly have been artificial: It was the size of a world.
For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.
The universe is a pretty big place. If it's just us, seems like an awful waste of space.
You're an interesting species. An interesting mix. You're capable of such beautiful dreams, and such horrible nightmares. You feel so lost, so cut off, so alone, only you're not. See, in all our searching, the only thing we've found that makes the emptiness bearable, is each other.
Your religion assumes that people are children and need a boogeyman so they'll behave. You want people to believe in God so they'll obey the law. That's the only means that occurs to you: a strict secular police force, and the threat of punishment by an all-seeing God for whatever the police overlook. You sell human beings short.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671004107, Mass Market Paperback)

It is December 1999, the dawn of the millennium, and a team of international scientists is poised for the most fantastic adventure in human history. After years of scanning the galaxy for signs of somebody or something else, this team believes they've found a message from an intelligent source--and they travel deep into space to meet it. Pulitzer Prize winner Carl Sagan injects Contact, his prophetic adventure story, with scientific details that make it utterly believable. It is a Cold War era novel that parlays the nuclear paranoia of the time into exquisitely wrought tension among the various countries involved. Sagan meditates on science, religion, and government--the elements that define society--and looks to their impact on and role in the future. His ability to pack an exciting read with such rich content is an unusual talent that makes Contact a modern sci-fi classic.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:47:33 -0400)

In the year 1999 a multinational team of astronauts sets out to discover the secrets of the universe.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,959,379 books! | Top bar: Always visible