Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery

Anne of Green Gables

by L. M. Montgomery

Series: Anne of Green Gables (1)

18,327401128 (4.32)1 / 976
    The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett (Polenth, rosylibrarian)
    Little Women by Louisa May Alcott (VictoriaPL, kiwiflowa, Morteana)
    Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder (Polenth)
    The Annotated Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery (FranklyMyDarling)
    FranklyMyDarling: Lots of fascinating notes, photographs and insight for the real Anne fan.
    A Girl of the Limberlost by Gene Stratton-Porter (carlym)
    Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm by Kate Douglas Wiggin (infiniteletters)
    Emily of New Moon by L. M. Montgomery (HollyMS)
    Caddie Woodlawn by Carol Ryrie Brink (meggyweg)
    The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain (Cecilturtle)
    Anne of Avonlea by L. M. Montgomery (lloannna)
    lloannna: There are sequels! Lots and LOTS of sequels. This is one of them.
    The Keeping Days by Norma Johnston (atimco)
    atimco: Similar setting and local color. Johnston is grittier than Montgomery, but their heroines have a lot of similarities.
    The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate by Jacqueline Kelly (julienne_preacher)
    Jane of Lantern Hill by L. M. Montgomery (HollyMS)
    I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith (casvelyn)
    casvelyn: The protagonists have a similar voice and outlook on life.
    The Country of the Pointed Firs and Other Stories by Sarah Orne Jewett (cransell)
    cransell: The Country of Pointed Firs really reminded me of Anne of Green Gables - although not at all focused of a child or growing up. But if you enjoy one, you'll likely enjoy the other.
    Anne of Green Gables [1985 film] by Kevin Sullivan (TheLittlePhrase)
    Anne of Avonlea [1987 film] by Kevin Sullivan (TheLittlePhrase)
    A Faraway Island by Annika Thor (cbl_tn)
    cbl_tn: There are similarities between characters (young girl taken in by a stern older woman) and an island setting.
    Marilla of Green Gables: A Novel by Sarah McCoy (Cecrow)
Canada (1)

English (401)  Finnish (2)  French (2)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (407)
I had seen the movie several times and even saw the musical when I was in Charlottetown about 20 years ago (which was when I bought the books) but I never actually read the book. I loved it. Lucy Maud Montgomery wrote with such lovely language that you could picture everything that was happening. I even cried when Matthew died, although I knew it was coming. I am so glad that I finally read this book.

If you are not familiar with this series, Anne Shirley is an orphan who accidentally ends up in Avonlea to live with Marilla and Matthew Cuthbert (siblings) when they asked to adopt an orphan boy to help on the farm. Once she arrived, there was not turning back. She had an imagination that would not quit. She was such a loving and caring person that others flocked to her. She also set goals in her education that she worked hard on. She made many, many mistakes along the way, but learned from each one. There is humour, warmth, love and sadness in this story, but everyone will find something to like about it. ( )
  Carlathelibrarian | Feb 5, 2019 |
If you have children you must encourage them to read this book. If you do not have children, I encourage you to read this book. For those of you who do have children, you should read this book. This book is literature at its finest. ( )
  DonaldPowell | Feb 5, 2019 |
I have seen the movie several times and even saw the musical when I was in Charlottetown about 20 years ago (which was when I bought my original books) but I will never tire of Anne with an "e". Lucy Maud Montgomery wrote with such lovely language that you could picture everything that was happening. I even cried when Matthew died, although I knew it was coming. If you are not familiar with this series, Anne Shirley is an orphan who accidentally ends up in Avonlea to live with Marilla and Matthew Cuthbert (siblings) when they asked to adopt an orphan boy to help on the farm. Once she arrived, there was not turning back. She had an imagination that would not quit. She was such a loving and caring person that others flocked to her. She also set goals in her education that she worked hard on. She made many, many mistakes along the way, but learned from each one. There is humour, warmth, love and sadness in this story, but everyone will find something to like about it. This story is a classic that would be wonderful for middle grades (gr. 4 and up), especially girls. This edition has an updated cover that should appeal to that age group. If this updating brings the story to a new generation, then I say bravo. ( )
  Carlathelibrarian | Feb 5, 2019 |
This is one of my all time favorite books. This book will ALWAYS hold special memories of my mom and maternal grandmother. In fact my grandmother has actually been to Lucy Maud Montgomery's house on Prince Edward Island. I thought that was pretty awesome.
1 vote SWade0126 | Jan 11, 2019 |
Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery; (5*)

This isn't truly a review but just a bit of trivia about the author.
I think we all know the story of Anne of Green Gables and I love it and have loved it again and again. Anne Shirley is someone I would have loved to have had for a best friend growing up. Her escapades are hysterical and she is sooo dramatic.
I really liked that I was able to connect with all the characters in the book and that Montgomery has created such complete characters; so well rounded and fleshed out.
I took Anne of Green Gables to bed with me last evening and enjoyed her tremendously. I bought my copy of the book at my favorite used book store (sadly out of business now) and inside the book was a four page story on the life of Lucy Maud Montgomery. It was quite interesting. I, without really thinking about it, always just assumed anyone who wrote such happy books was quite a happy person. Apparently Mz. Montgomery had quite a bit of hardship in her life. Her mother died when she was two of T.B. and she was raised by her maternal grandparents. She became a school teacher until the death of her grandfather whereupon she returned to tend her grandmother and the farm where she was raised.
Her grandmother died in 1911 and she married a local minister who suffered profoundly of depression and melancholy. She, herself suffered "nervous spells" and severe headaches.
But she continued to write the Anne series and then the Emily series, which she said was much more autobiographical. In 1933 she became ill and her husband suffered influenza, and a complete nervous breakdown and was entered into a sanitarium. She said that was "the most terrible year I have ever lived." She, herself, had a minor breakdown in 1936. Her husband retired and she wrote her last book, Anne of Ingleside.
She died in 1942 and her husband survived her by only one year.
One just never knows. ( )
4 vote rainpebble | Jan 10, 2019 |

Has the (non-series) prequel

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is expanded in

The good stars met in your horoscope,
Made you of spirit and fire and dew.
- Browning
To the memory of my Father and Mother
Mrs. Rachel Lynde lived just where the Avonlea main road dipped down into a little hollow, fringed with alders and ladies' eardrops and traversed by a brook that had its source away back in the woods of the old Cuthbert place; it was reputed to be an intricate, headlong brook in its earlier course through those woods, with dark secrets of pool and cascade; but by the time it reached Lynde's Hollow it was a quiet well-conducted little stream, for not even a brook could run past Mrs. Rachel Lynde's door without due regard for decency and decorum; it probably was conscious that Mrs. Rachel was sitting at her window, keeping a sharp eye on everything that passed, from brooks and children up, and that if she noticed anything odd or out of place she would never rest until she had ferreted out the whys and wherefores thereof.
"Marilla, isn't it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet? … Oh, don't you see, Marilla? There must be a limit to the mistakes one person can make, and when I get to the end of them, then I'll be through with them. That's a very comforting thought."
"There's such a lot of different Annes in me. I sometimes think that is why I'm such a troublesome person. If I was just the one Anne it would be ever so much more comfortable, but then it wouldn't be half so interesting."
Marilla felt more embarrassed than ever. She had intended to teach Anne the childish classic, "Now I lay me down to sleep". But she had, as I have told you, the glimmerings of a sense of humor – which is simply another name for a sense of the fitness of things.
"Oh, but it's good to be alive and to be going home," breathed Anne.
But if the path set before her feet was to be narrow, she knew that flowers of quiet happiness would bloom along it.
The isbn 0553153277 is not associated with Penguin readers, but with the unabridged version of Anne of Green Gables.
The ISBN 0448060302 is the Illustrated Junior Library edition of Anne of Green Gables.

Inspiring, adventurous, and full of life, Anne (with an 'e') is adopted into the home of Matthew and Marilla Cuthbert. Although they had originally wanted a boy, they begin to fall in love with the red-headed spunky girl, despite her shenanigans. This is a story of the life of Anne Shirley; from experiencing life's highs when finding bosom friends, to being in the 'depths of despair' during its trials, Anne learns to love those around her while experiencing all life has to offer.

Available online at The Hathi Trust:

Also available at The Internet Archive:

Also available at Project Gutenberg:
We'll get an orphan,
He can help with the farm work.
Oh-oh -- she's a girl.
(SylviaC)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 055321313X, Mass Market Paperback)

When Marilla Cuthbert's brother, Matthew, returns home to Green Gables with a chatty redheaded orphan girl, Marilla exclaims, "But we asked for a boy. We have no use for a girl." It's not long, though, before the Cuthberts can't imagine how they could ever do without young Anne of Green Gables--but not for the original reasons they sought an orphan. Somewhere between the time Anne "confesses" to losing Marilla's amethyst pin (which she never took) in hopes of being allowed to go to a picnic, and when Anne accidentally dyes her hated carrot-red hair green, Marilla says to Matthew, "One thing's for certain, no house that Anne's in will ever be dull." And no book that she's in will be, either. This adapted version of the classic, Anne of Green Gables, introduces younger readers to the irrepressible heroine of L.M. Montgomery's many stories. Adapter M.C. Helldorfer includes only a few of Anne's mirthful and poignant adventures, yet manages to capture the freshness of one of children's literature's spunkiest, most beloved characters. There's just enough to make beginning readers want more--luckily, there's a lot more in the originals! Illustrator Ellen Beier creates vibrant pictures to portray the beauty of the land around Green Gables and the spirited nature of Anne herself. (Ages 5 to 8) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:50 -0400)

Anne, an eleven-year-old orphan, is sent by mistake to live with a lonely, middle-aged brother and sister on a Prince Edward Island farm and proceeds to make an indelible impression on everyone around her.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

L. M. Montgomery's book Anne of Green Gables was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

5 1986

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141321598, 0141323744, 0141334908

Tundra Books

An edition of this book was published by Tundra Books.

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400100712, 140010842X

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,469,434 books! | Top bar: Always visible