Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery

Anne of Green Gables

by L. M. Montgomery

Series: Anne of Green Gables (1)

17,381390100 (4.32)1 / 933
    The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett (Polenth, rosylibrarian)
    Little Women by Louisa May Alcott (VictoriaPL, kiwiflowa, Morteana)
    Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder (Polenth)
    The Annotated Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery (FranklyMyDarling)
    FranklyMyDarling: Lots of fascinating notes, photographs and insight for the real Anne fan.
    Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm by Kate Douglas Wiggin (infiniteletters)
    A Girl of the Limberlost by Gene Stratton-Porter (carlym)
    Emily of New Moon by L. M. Montgomery (HollyMS)
    The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain (Cecilturtle)
    Caddie Woodlawn by Carol Ryrie Brink (meggyweg)
    Anne of Avonlea by L. M. Montgomery (lloannna)
    lloannna: There are sequels! Lots and LOTS of sequels. This is one of them.
    The Keeping Days by Norma Johnston (atimco)
    atimco: Similar setting and local color. Johnston is grittier than Montgomery, but their heroines have a lot of similarities.
    The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate by Jacqueline Kelly (julienne_preacher)
    Jane of Lantern Hill by L. M. Montgomery (HollyMS)
    The Country of the Pointed Firs and Other Stories by Sarah Orne Jewett (cransell)
    cransell: The Country of Pointed Firs really reminded me of Anne of Green Gables - although not at all focused of a child or growing up. But if you enjoy one, you'll likely enjoy the other.
    I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith (casvelyn)
    casvelyn: The protagonists have a similar voice and outlook on life.
Canada (1)

English (388)  Finnish (2)  French (2)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  All (394)
I couldn't have hoped to be better delighted by Anne and her dramatic ways as well as how she seemed to get herself in so much. I didn't expect to laugh so much but I did. There wasn't as much glee as she grew up but then there is hope for a certain someone in the next book. I've got to take more chances on classics like this. ( )
  AdrianaGarcia | Jul 10, 2018 |
Anne of Green Gable by L. M. Montgomery is an historical fiction book about one of Canada's most famous fictional characters, Anne Shirley. She is adopted by an older woman and her brother who were in hopes of adopting a boy to help with their work on their farm. Instead Anne arrives and many humorous stories ensue about the trouble she gets into by speaking her mind. The story takes place at the beginning of the 1900's when children are supposed to be seen and not heard. This is a great book for children who want to know what life was like growing up on a farm in Canada and going to school in the early 1900's.
  JoanEChasse | Jul 10, 2018 |
I love, love, love this book. I still have my old dog-eared copy from middle school. Ann-with-an-e is hired by elderly brother and sister Marilla and Matthew Cuthbert. They wanted a boy to help out with their farm but got Anne instead in a mix-up. Marilla is slow to warm up to Anne, who can be overly dramatic at times, uses large words and has a tendency to name things around the farm (she named the Cuthbert's pond The Lake of Shining Waters). Anne is not a wholly sympathetic character, she can be vain and bossy and has a fiery temper that burns as bright as her hair. On her first day at school she breaks a slate over the head of a boy who teases her. But she is a compelling character, proving herself to be useful and dependable.

I cannot recommend this book enough, especially to young female readers. Despite her faults, Anne is a strong and smart girl with a powerful imagination. She is, in a sense, like any other girl and can still be relatable despite being written over 100 years ago. I would also recommend watching the 80s miniseries in conjunction with the book. I remember reading this book in school and also watching snippet of the miniseries. ( )
  melissa_tullo | Jul 9, 2018 |
It sometimes feels nice to revisit your childhood and remember when life seemed simpler and problems all solvable. That is what reading Anne again felt like for me. I know why I loved it as a girl, because while being very rooted in what it is to be a child, it never speaks down to you. Anne has a distinct, overly excitable, personality, and she gets into a lot of scrapes, but everything in her world comes right in the end.

Did anyone besides me have an obsession with orphans, or at least the motherless, when they were young? [b:Eight Cousins|14570|Eight Cousins (Eight Cousins, #1)|Louisa May Alcott|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1328864060s/14570.jpg|2905864] was a favorite book, Nancy Drew a favorite character, and I could watch Shirley Temple movies endlessly (and when did that little girl ever have a mother in a film?) It is no doubt one of the elements of this tale that attracted me, as well. The idea that you could be without any family and then find one full of love and acceptance...how comforting is that.

Some Anne sayings that I love:
"isn't it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?"
"it's a serious thing to grow up, isn't it?...it's a great responsibility because I have only the one chance."
"What a splendid day!...I pity people who aren't born yet for missing it. They may have good days, of course, but they can never have this one."
"It gives you a lovely, comfortable feeling to apologize and be forgiven, doesn't it?"

She might be annoying at times, and often overly romantic, but there is a lot we could all learn from Anne Shirley. ( )
  phantomswife | Jul 6, 2018 |
I read this as a little girl... I really need to read it again! ( )
  jlydia | Jun 25, 2018 |

Has the (non-series) prequel

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is expanded in

The good stars met in your horoscope,
Made you of spirit and fire and dew.
- Browning
To the memory of my Father and Mother
Mrs. Rachel Lynde lived just where the Avonlea main road dipped down into a little hollow, fringed with alders and ladies' eardrops and traversed by a brook that had its source away back in the woods of the old Cuthbert place; it was reputed to be an intricate, headlong brook in its earlier course through those woods, with dark secrets of pool and cascade; but by the time it reached Lynde's Hollow it was a quiet well-conducted little stream, for not even a brook could run past Mrs. Rachel Lynde's door without due regard for decency and decorum; it probably was conscious that Mrs. Rachel was sitting at her window, keeping a sharp eye on everything that passed, from brooks and children up, and that if she noticed anything odd or out of place she would never rest until she had ferreted out the whys and wherefores thereof.
"Marilla, isn't it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet? … Oh, don't you see, Marilla? There must be a limit to the mistakes one person can make, and when I get to the end of them, then I'll be through with them. That's a very comforting thought."
"There's such a lot of different Annes in me. I sometimes think that is why I'm such a troublesome person. If I was just the one Anne it would be ever so much more comfortable, but then it wouldn't be half so interesting."
Marilla felt more embarrassed than ever. She had intended to teach Anne the childish classic, "Now I lay me down to sleep". But she had, as I have told you, the glimmerings of a sense of humor – which is simply another name for a sense of the fitness of things.
"Oh, but it's good to be alive and to be going home," breathed Anne.
But if the path set before her feet was to be narrow, she knew that flowers of quiet happiness would bloom along it.
The isbn 0553153277 is not associated with Penguin readers, but with the unabridged version of Anne of Green Gables.
The ISBN 0448060302 is the Illustrated Junior Library edition of Anne of Green Gables.

Inspiring, adventurous, and full of life, Anne (with an 'e') is adopted into the home of Matthew and Marilla Cuthbert. Although they had originally wanted a boy, they begin to fall in love with the red-headed spunky girl, despite her shenanigans. This is a story of the life of Anne Shirley; from experiencing life's highs when finding bosom friends, to being in the 'depths of despair' during its trials, Anne learns to love those around her while experiencing all life has to offer.

Available online at The Hathi Trust:

Also available at The Internet Archive:

Also available at Project Gutenberg:
We'll get an orphan,
He can help with the farm work.
Oh-oh -- she's a girl.
(SylviaC)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 055321313X, Mass Market Paperback)

When Marilla Cuthbert's brother, Matthew, returns home to Green Gables with a chatty redheaded orphan girl, Marilla exclaims, "But we asked for a boy. We have no use for a girl." It's not long, though, before the Cuthberts can't imagine how they could ever do without young Anne of Green Gables--but not for the original reasons they sought an orphan. Somewhere between the time Anne "confesses" to losing Marilla's amethyst pin (which she never took) in hopes of being allowed to go to a picnic, and when Anne accidentally dyes her hated carrot-red hair green, Marilla says to Matthew, "One thing's for certain, no house that Anne's in will ever be dull." And no book that she's in will be, either. This adapted version of the classic, Anne of Green Gables, introduces younger readers to the irrepressible heroine of L.M. Montgomery's many stories. Adapter M.C. Helldorfer includes only a few of Anne's mirthful and poignant adventures, yet manages to capture the freshness of one of children's literature's spunkiest, most beloved characters. There's just enough to make beginning readers want more--luckily, there's a lot more in the originals! Illustrator Ellen Beier creates vibrant pictures to portray the beauty of the land around Green Gables and the spirited nature of Anne herself. (Ages 5 to 8) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:50 -0400)

Anne, an eleven-year-old orphan, is sent by mistake to live with a lonely, middle-aged brother and sister on a Prince Edward Island farm and proceeds to make an indelible impression on everyone around her.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

L. M. Montgomery's book Anne of Green Gables was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

5 1926

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141321598, 0141323744, 0141334908

Tundra Books

An edition of this book was published by Tundra Books.

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400100712, 140010842X

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,233,601 books! | Top bar: Always visible