Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery

Anne of Green Gables (edition 2012)

by Lucy Maud Montgomery

17,701396139 (4.32)1 / 940
Member:sarahbird
Title:Anne of Green Gables
Authors:Lucy Maud Montgomery
Info:Simon & Brown (2012), Paperback, 318 pages

Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery

The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett (Polenth, rosylibrarian)
    Little Women by Louisa May Alcott (VictoriaPL, kiwiflowa, Morteana)
    Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder (Polenth)
    The Annotated Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery (FranklyMyDarling)
    FranklyMyDarling: Lots of fascinating notes, photographs and insight for the real Anne fan.
    A Girl of the Limberlost by Gene Stratton-Porter (carlym)
    Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm by Kate Douglas Wiggin (infiniteletters)
    Emily of New Moon by L. M. Montgomery (HollyMS)
    Caddie Woodlawn by Carol Ryrie Brink (meggyweg)
    The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain (Cecilturtle)
    Anne of Avonlea by L. M. Montgomery (lloannna)
    lloannna: There are sequels! Lots and LOTS of sequels. This is one of them.
    The Keeping Days by Norma Johnston (atimco)
    atimco: Similar setting and local color. Johnston is grittier than Montgomery, but their heroines have a lot of similarities.
    The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate by Jacqueline Kelly (julienne_preacher)
    Jane of Lantern Hill by L. M. Montgomery (HollyMS)
    I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith (casvelyn)
    casvelyn: The protagonists have a similar voice and outlook on life.
    The Country of the Pointed Firs and Other Stories by Sarah Orne Jewett (cransell)
    cransell: The Country of Pointed Firs really reminded me of Anne of Green Gables - although not at all focused of a child or growing up. But if you enjoy one, you'll likely enjoy the other.
    A Faraway Island by Annika Thor (cbl_tn)
    cbl_tn: There are similarities between characters (young girl taken in by a stern older woman) and an island setting.
Canada (1)

English (395)  Finnish (2)  French (2)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (401)
After many years, I have decided to revisit this classic series. My mother first introduced me to the series when I was twelve-years-old and I have read it several times since. As a younger reader "Anne of Green Gables" was always my least favourite. Now, forty years later, I was thoroughly entertained by this book. I loved all the descriptions of Green Gables and Avonlea, and the innocence of a bygone era.

Matthew Cuthbert, Gilbert Blythe and Aunt Josephine were always my favourite characters, and they remained so. However, I was surprised by how much I liked Anne and Marilla. For some unknown reason, I have always remembered Marilla as a hard, unforgiving woman, but I discovered she really had a heart of gold and loved Anne as though she was her own daughter.

As for Anne herself, she used to annoy me with the antics and continual talking, but this time I admired her incorrigible spirit, her love of nature, her vivid imagination and her passion for stories. In fact I found myself close to tears at times when she talked about her past life.

Although written over a century ago, I found "Anne of Green Gables" a charming, delightful read which still has much appeal for today's modern readers. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Sep 16, 2018 |
It is nearly impossible for me to describe my absolute fondness for this book and the character of Anne, herself. She is perhaps the most relatable, lovable fictional character in my heart, and the background of Green Gables and Avonlea, charming beautiful places, so well described and romantic, I hardly need the words on the page to love it. I feel that Anne Shirley and I, are mist definitely kindred spirits. ( )
  marie2830 | Sep 2, 2018 |
I felt a little at a loss regarding Anne rural up bringing. I thought it was a bit too wholesome. I was raised in rural Nebraska. I did experience any of the wonderful things Anne did. The book was well written and very gentle compared to my books. ( )
  phillund | Aug 23, 2018 |
Anne Shirley is an 11 year old orphan that is adopted by Marilla and Matt Cuthbert (elderly brother and sister), and from the start there are mistakes and hi jinx. Marilla really has no idea what to do with a child, and shy Mathew just wants to spend time with the girl. Anne meets her bosom best friend, Diana, and her arch rival Gilbert. The book is set in the early 1900's on Prince Edward Island in Canada, in a small made up town of Avonlea. (Fun fact: the house Montgomery based Green Gables on was her neighbors, and it is located in Cavendish, Prince Edward Island) It was published in 1908, so I can only assume that the setting is about that time Being set in a simpler time, the story is simple at heart. A girl and how she grows into a woman and brings love and light to all of those around her. There is no technology, no cyber bullying, no television or radio even to be a distraction and a hindrance. Anne's entertainment is her books, and of course her imagination.
Anne is such a fun and great character, a true kindred spirit to myself. I have always felt a connection with her character, so full of imagination and hope and a general goodwill towards here fellow human beings. She really makes Green Gables a lively home, rather than a lovely house. In fact while reading this book, I realized that I had bought my own version of Green Gables, my new house is cream with green trim and cherry trees in the backyard. I'm afraid to go to much into the plot, because I will give away all the fun things that are to discover in this book. The way Montgomery writes is so straightforward and enthralling, that you can't help to love the characters, even the Pryes. All I can say, is read this book if you want to escape to a simpler world, where the golden rule still applied and honesty was the highest valued trait of them all.

For more reviews see my blog: http://adventuresofabibliophile.blogspot.com ( )
  Serinde24 | Aug 17, 2018 |
Enjoyable read. A fun look at PEI. A timeless classic. ( )
  CeciliaRose | Aug 11, 2018 |

Has the (non-series) prequel

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is expanded in

The good stars met in your horoscope,
Made you of spirit and fire and dew.
- Browning
To the memory of my Father and Mother
Mrs. Rachel Lynde lived just where the Avonlea main road dipped down into a little hollow, fringed with alders and ladies' eardrops and traversed by a brook that had its source away back in the woods of the old Cuthbert place; it was reputed to be an intricate, headlong brook in its earlier course through those woods, with dark secrets of pool and cascade; but by the time it reached Lynde's Hollow it was a quiet well-conducted little stream, for not even a brook could run past Mrs. Rachel Lynde's door without due regard for decency and decorum; it probably was conscious that Mrs. Rachel was sitting at her window, keeping a sharp eye on everything that passed, from brooks and children up, and that if she noticed anything odd or out of place she would never rest until she had ferreted out the whys and wherefores thereof.
"Marilla, isn't it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet? … Oh, don't you see, Marilla? There must be a limit to the mistakes one person can make, and when I get to the end of them, then I'll be through with them. That's a very comforting thought."
"There's such a lot of different Annes in me. I sometimes think that is why I'm such a troublesome person. If I was just the one Anne it would be ever so much more comfortable, but then it wouldn't be half so interesting."
Marilla felt more embarrassed than ever. She had intended to teach Anne the childish classic, "Now I lay me down to sleep". But she had, as I have told you, the glimmerings of a sense of humor – which is simply another name for a sense of the fitness of things.
"Oh, but it's good to be alive and to be going home," breathed Anne.
But if the path set before her feet was to be narrow, she knew that flowers of quiet happiness would bloom along it.
The isbn 0553153277 is not associated with Penguin readers, but with the unabridged version of Anne of Green Gables.
The ISBN 0448060302 is the Illustrated Junior Library edition of Anne of Green Gables.

Inspiring, adventurous, and full of life, Anne (with an 'e') is adopted into the home of Matthew and Marilla Cuthbert. Although they had originally wanted a boy, they begin to fall in love with the red-headed spunky girl, despite her shenanigans. This is a story of the life of Anne Shirley; from experiencing life's highs when finding bosom friends, to being in the 'depths of despair' during its trials, Anne learns to love those around her while experiencing all life has to offer.

Available online at The Hathi Trust:

Also available at The Internet Archive:

Also available at Project Gutenberg:
We'll get an orphan,
He can help with the farm work.
Oh-oh -- she's a girl.
(SylviaC)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 055321313X, Mass Market Paperback)

When Marilla Cuthbert's brother, Matthew, returns home to Green Gables with a chatty redheaded orphan girl, Marilla exclaims, "But we asked for a boy. We have no use for a girl." It's not long, though, before the Cuthberts can't imagine how they could ever do without young Anne of Green Gables--but not for the original reasons they sought an orphan. Somewhere between the time Anne "confesses" to losing Marilla's amethyst pin (which she never took) in hopes of being allowed to go to a picnic, and when Anne accidentally dyes her hated carrot-red hair green, Marilla says to Matthew, "One thing's for certain, no house that Anne's in will ever be dull." And no book that she's in will be, either. This adapted version of the classic, Anne of Green Gables, introduces younger readers to the irrepressible heroine of L.M. Montgomery's many stories. Adapter M.C. Helldorfer includes only a few of Anne's mirthful and poignant adventures, yet manages to capture the freshness of one of children's literature's spunkiest, most beloved characters. There's just enough to make beginning readers want more--luckily, there's a lot more in the originals! Illustrator Ellen Beier creates vibrant pictures to portray the beauty of the land around Green Gables and the spirited nature of Anne herself. (Ages 5 to 8) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:50 -0400)

Anne, an eleven-year-old orphan, is sent by mistake to live with a lonely, middle-aged brother and sister on a Prince Edward Island farm and proceeds to make an indelible impression on everyone around her.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

L. M. Montgomery's book Anne of Green Gables was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

5 1944

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141321598, 0141323744, 0141334908

Tundra Books

An edition of this book was published by Tundra Books.

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400100712, 140010842X

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,010,634 books! | Top bar: Always visible