Anne of Green Gables (An Anne of Green…

Anne of Green Gables (An Anne of Green Gables Novel) (edition 2014)

by L. M. Montgomery (Author)

21,759462111 (4.32)1 / 1037
Anne, an eleven-year-old orphan, is sent by mistake to live with a lonely, middle-aged brother and sister on a Prince Edward Island farm and proceeds to make an indelible impression on everyone around her.
Member:shabay3
Title:Anne of Green Gables (An Anne of Green Gables Novel)
Authors:L. M. Montgomery (Author)
Info:Aladdin (2014), Edition: Reprint, 448 pages

Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery

The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett (Polenth, rosylibrarian)
    Little Women by Louisa May Alcott (VictoriaPL, kiwiflowa, Morteana)
    Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder (Polenth)
    The Annotated Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery (FranklyMyDarling)
    FranklyMyDarling: Lots of fascinating notes, photographs and insight for the real Anne fan.
    Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm by Kate Douglas Wiggin (infiniteletters)
    A Girl of the Limberlost by Gene Stratton-Porter (carlym)
    Emily of New Moon by L. M. Montgomery (HollyMS)
    Caddie Woodlawn by Carol Ryrie Brink (meggyweg)
    The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain (Cecilturtle)
    Anne of Avonlea by L. M. Montgomery (lloannna)
    lloannna: There are sequels! Lots and LOTS of sequels. This is one of them.
    The Keeping Days by Norma Johnston (atimco)
    atimco: Similar setting and local color. Johnston is grittier than Montgomery, but their heroines have a lot of similarities.
    Anne of Green Gables [1985 film] by Kevin Sullivan (TheLittlePhrase)
    Anne of Avonlea [1987 film] by Kevin Sullivan (TheLittlePhrase)
    Jane of Lantern Hill by L. M. Montgomery (HollyMS)
    The Country of the Pointed Firs and Other Stories by Sarah Orne Jewett (cransell)
    cransell: The Country of Pointed Firs really reminded me of Anne of Green Gables - although not at all focused of a child or growing up. But if you enjoy one, you'll likely enjoy the other.
    I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith (casvelyn)
    casvelyn: The protagonists have a similar voice and outlook on life.
    Marilla of Green Gables by Sarah McCoy (Cecrow)
    The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate by Jacqueline Kelly (julienne_preacher)
    A Faraway Island by Annika Thor (cbl_tn)
    cbl_tn: There are similarities between characters (young girl taken in by a stern older woman) and an island setting.
    Heidi [adapted - Great Illustrated Classics] by Johanna Spyri (zottel)
    zottel: Both books describe childhoods of orphan girls, one high up in the Alps, one in rural Canada. Many parallels.

Canada (1)

English (453)  French (2)  Spanish (2)  Finnish (1)  German (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (460)
Words cannot properly express my love for this book. ( )
  littlebookjockey | Sep 15, 2020 |
In my quest to find C more "books like the Little House books", this crossed our path. Several times. Somehow I had never read it...not sure how that happened. ;) It was lovely. I think my 15 year old self would have appreciated it more, but I can still appreciate quality when I find it.
  Nicolednk | Sep 10, 2020 |
this is a classic, and the tv show made it so much better. i fell in love with gilbert because he's just so perfect! the ending broke my heart, but you can see how much anne has changed to become an even better person. ( )
  kkgautamm | Aug 19, 2020 |
Maybe 4th time rereading this book. I love it to death. It's such an innocent story about an orphan finding home and friends. Also about Marilla and Matthew finding something that they never knew they needed. Read it for the first time when I was 12 and it's been dear to me ever since. Now 10 years later I love this story even more. Also for the very first time, I decided to finally watch the 1985 movie and it was amazing. ( )
  iKaroliina | Aug 15, 2020 |

Has the (non-series) prequel

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is expanded in

The good stars met in your horoscope,
Made you of spirit and fire and dew.
- Browning
To the memory of my Father and Mother
Mrs. Rachel Lynde lived just where the Avonlea main road dipped down into a little hollow, fringed with alders and ladies' eardrops and traversed by a brook that had its source away back in the woods of the old Cuthbert place; it was reputed to be an intricate, headlong brook in its earlier course through those woods, with dark secrets of pool and cascade; but by the time it reached Lynde's Hollow it was a quiet well-conducted little stream, for not even a brook could run past Mrs. Rachel Lynde's door without due regard for decency and decorum; it probably was conscious that Mrs. Rachel was sitting at her window, keeping a sharp eye on everything that passed, from brooks and children up, and that if she noticed anything odd or out of place she would never rest until she had ferreted out the whys and wherefores thereof.
"Marilla, isn't it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet? … Oh, don't you see, Marilla? There must be a limit to the mistakes one person can make, and when I get to the end of them, then I'll be through with them. That's a very comforting thought."
"There's such a lot of different Annes in me. I sometimes think that is why I'm such a troublesome person. If I was just the one Anne it would be ever so much more comfortable, but then it wouldn't be half so interesting."
Marilla felt more embarrassed than ever. She had intended to teach Anne the childish classic, "Now I lay me down to sleep". But she had, as I have told you, the glimmerings of a sense of humor – which is simply another name for a sense of the fitness of things.
"Oh, but it's good to be alive and to be going home," breathed Anne.
But if the path set before her feet was to be narrow, she knew that flowers of quiet happiness would bloom along it.
The isbn 0553153277 is not associated with Penguin readers, but with the unabridged version of Anne of Green Gables.
The ISBN 0448060302 is the Illustrated Junior Library edition of Anne of Green Gables.

Inspiring, adventurous, and full of life, Anne (with an 'e') is adopted into the home of Matthew and Marilla Cuthbert. Although they had originally wanted a boy, they begin to fall in love with the red-headed spunky girl, despite her shenanigans. This is a story of the life of Anne Shirley; from experiencing life's highs when finding bosom friends, to being in the 'depths of despair' during its trials, Anne learns to love those around her while experiencing all life has to offer.

Available online at The Hathi Trust:

Also available at The Internet Archive:

Also available at Project Gutenberg:
We'll get an orphan,
He can help with the farm work.
Oh-oh -- she's a girl.
(SylviaC)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

L. M. Montgomery's book Anne of Green Gables was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141321598, 0141323744, 0141334908

Tundra Books

An edition of this book was published by Tundra Books.

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400100712, 140010842X

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

BHC Press

An edition of this book was published by BHC Press.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,680,207 books! | Top bar: Always visible