Anne of Green Gables (Anne of Green Gables…

Anne of Green Gables (Anne of Green Gables Novels) (original 1908; edition 1984)

by L. M. Montgomery

13,212272166 ()1 / 722
Member:avanders
Title:Anne of Green Gables (Anne of Green Gables Novels)
Authors:L. M. Montgomery
Info:Tandem Library (1984), School & Library Binding, 310 pages
Collections:Your library, Book Group Books, Favorites
Rating:*****

Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery (1908)

The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett (Polenth, rosylibrarian)
    Little Women by Louisa May Alcott (VictoriaPL, kiwiflowa)
    Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder (Polenth)
    The Annotated Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery (FranklyMyDarling)
    FranklyMyDarling: Lots of fascinating notes, photographs and insight for the real Anne fan.
    Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm by Kate Douglas Wiggin (infiniteletters)
    A Girl of the Limberlost by Gene Stratton-Porter (carlym)
    The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain (Cecilturtle)
    Caddie Woodlawn by Carol Ryrie Brink (meggyweg)
    Emily of New Moon by L. M. Montgomery (Hollerama)
    Anne of Avonlea by L. M. Montgomery (lloannna)
    lloannna: There are sequels! Lots and LOTS of sequels. This is one of them.
    The Keeping Days by Norma Johnston (wisewoman)
    wisewoman: Similar setting and local color. Johnston is grittier than Montgomery, but their heroines have a lot of similarities.
    I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith (casvelyn)
    casvelyn: The protagonists have a similar voice and outlook on life.
    The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate by Jacqueline Kelly (julienne_preacher)
    Jane of Lantern Hill by L. M. Montgomery (Hollerama)
    The Country of the Pointed Firs and Other Stories by Sarah Orne Jewett (cransell)
    cransell: The Country of Pointed Firs really reminded me of Anne of Green Gables - although not at all focused of a child or growing up. But if you enjoy one, you'll likely enjoy the other.

English (266)  Finnish (2)  French (1)  All languages (269)
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Having grown up reading Little House on the Prairie instead, I was glad to read this Canadian classic after meaning to for so long! I can now understand its status as a well-loved story with a well-known character: the talkative, imaginative, and optimistic Anne Shirley. Especially due to the appearance of the volume, I didn’t feel like I was reading a children’s book. Like the island that serves as the book's setting, this volume is very attractive, with beautiful green and blue covers and spine. I also enjoyed the pleasant texture of the pages. The attached ribbon provided a convenient way to mark my page without risk of damaging the pages.

As this is the first of Lucy Maud Montgomery's books on Anne, I am curious what future volumes in this series will look like! ( )
  hhope | Feb 21, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I was happy to receive this book as part of the Early Reviewers program. This is a collector's edition published by Tundra Books. It is a lovely, plump hardcover with a green ribbon for a bookmark and an old-fashioned decorated cover.

I read the Anne of Green Gables series when I was young. Reading it again took me back to the beautiful descriptions of forests, streams, fields and orchards that I still love, and still find magical. Indeed, I see all of those things when I walk through such places now.

Montgomery described the personalities of her characters with entertaining brevity, and I wonder if I, as a child, understood the nuances as I do now. The story is of a staid, hard working, elderly brother and sister who asked an orphanage to send them a boy who could help on the farm. Instead of a boy, they were sent a skinny, red haired, young girl with an imagination bigger than the world, and a remarkable ability to get into trouble.

This new printing would be a terrific series for any L.M. Montgomery fan, young and old, to have on their bookshelves. ( )
  nhlsecord | Feb 14, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I had never read this Canadian classic story before. Early Reviewers gave me a chance to do so. I must admit that I loved the story and the amazing character of Anne. The author created a lovely very talkative young girl who loves her imagination, nature and every new experience. A modern jaded reader might not appreciated the wonder of seemingly everyday events like concerts and exhibitions. But the world of Anne Shirley- young orphan in pre-World War 1 Prince Edward Island - was very grim before she was taken in by Matthew and Marilla Cuthbert. The author traces Anne's growth from bold and talkative little girl to mature young lady who makes wise decisions. The story is dated but in a nice way. The world of this small rural town no longer exists but this novel is a remarkable tribute to the lives of those who lived in Canada at the beginning of the 20th century. ( )
1 vote torontoc | Feb 12, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
An absolutely gorgeous new edition of a much beloved classic! The book is a pleasure to hold in your hand, a veritable smorgaboard of tactile and visual sensations, with lovely covers, matching spine, endpapers, and the pages made with a texture that is pleasant to handle. This book is a new treasure for my bookshelf and I will be keeping an eye out for any new editions that Tundra brings out. ( )
  kpolhuis | Feb 1, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
If you've never read Anne of Green Gables, then get yourself a copy and dig in. Many a young girl grew up on these classics (Anne of Green Gables was the first of a series) and for good reason. Lucy Maude Montgomery (a writer whose own biography is well worth reading) crafted a story of an independent, strong-willed young girl whose story holds up over the decades. And boys and adults are losing out if they don't partake. Even Aretha Franklin has mused about wanting to visit Prince Edward Island where Anne grew up because she was so taken with Montgomery's heroine!

This edition of the classic includes a bonus short story called Charlotte's Ladies written by Montgomery in 1911. It's a quick read and engaged me just as thoroughly as Montgomery's more famous works. ( )
  jbealy | Jan 30, 2015 |

L. M. Montgomeryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Atwood, MargaretAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Burton, KateReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mills, Lauren A.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vesala, HiljaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The good stars met in your horoscope,
Made you of spirit and fire and dew.
- Browning
To the memory of my Father and Mother
Mrs. Rachel Lynde lived just where the Avonlea main road dipped down into a little hollow, fringed with alders and ladies' eardrops and traversed by a brook that had its source away back in the woods of the old Cuthbert place; it was reputed to be an intricate, headlong brook in its earlier course through those woods, with dark secrets of pool and cascade; but by the time it reached Lynde's Hollow it was a quiet well-conducted little stream, for not even a brook could run past Mrs. Rachel Lynde's door without due regard for decency and decorum; it probably was conscious that Mrs. Rachel was sitting at her window, keeping a sharp eye on everything that passed, from brooks and children up, and that if she noticed anything odd or out of place she would never rest until she had ferreted out the whys and wherefores thereof.
"Marilla, isn't it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet? … Oh, don't you see, Marilla? There must be a limit to the mistakes one person can make, and when I get to the end of them, then I'll be through with them. That's a very comforting thought."
"There's such a lot of different Annes in me. I sometimes think that is why I'm such a troublesome person. If I was just the one Anne it would be ever so much more comfortable, but then it wouldn't be half so interesting."
Marilla felt more embarrassed than ever. She had intended to teach Anne the childish classic, "Now I lay me down to sleep". But she had, as I have told you, the glimmerings of a sense of humor – which is simply another name for a sense of the fitness of things.
"Oh, but it's good to be alive and to be going home," breathed Anne.
But if the path set before her feet was to be narrow, she knew that flowers of quiet happiness would bloom along it.
The isbn 0553153277 is not associated with Penguin readers, but with the unabridged version of Anne of Green Gables.
Worked on by Christina Birgander and Birgitta Hvidberg
The ISBN 0448060302 is the Illustrated Junior Library edition of Anne of Green Gables.

Inspiring, adventurous, and full of life, Anne (with an 'e') is adopted into the home of Matthew and Marilla Cuthbert. Although they had originally wanted a boy, they begin to fall in love with the red-headed spunky girl, despite her shenanigans. This is a story of the life of Anne Shirley; from experiencing life's highs when finding bosom friends, to being in the 'depths of despair' during its trials, Anne learns to love those around her while experiencing all life has to offer. I absolutely love this book and how dramatic and descriptive Anne can be. It is at the top of the list because I have never really wanted to read a book more than once; and this is an exception. I also find Gilbert to be incredibly romantic as the story continues and I cannot help to fall in love with the characters that Montgomery portrays throughout this story.
We'll get an orphan,
He can help with the farm work.
Oh-oh -- she's a girl.
(SylviaC)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 055321313X, Mass Market Paperback)

When Marilla Cuthbert's brother, Matthew, returns home to Green Gables with a chatty redheaded orphan girl, Marilla exclaims, "But we asked for a boy. We have no use for a girl." It's not long, though, before the Cuthberts can't imagine how they could ever do without young Anne of Green Gables--but not for the original reasons they sought an orphan. Somewhere between the time Anne "confesses" to losing Marilla's amethyst pin (which she never took) in hopes of being allowed to go to a picnic, and when Anne accidentally dyes her hated carrot-red hair green, Marilla says to Matthew, "One thing's for certain, no house that Anne's in will ever be dull." And no book that she's in will be, either. This adapted version of the classic, Anne of Green Gables, introduces younger readers to the irrepressible heroine of L.M. Montgomery's many stories. Adapter M.C. Helldorfer includes only a few of Anne's mirthful and poignant adventures, yet manages to capture the freshness of one of children's literature's spunkiest, most beloved characters. There's just enough to make beginning readers want more--luckily, there's a lot more in the originals! Illustrator Ellen Beier creates vibrant pictures to portray the beauty of the land around Green Gables and the spirited nature of Anne herself. (Ages 5 to 8) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:28 -0400)

Anne, an eleven-year-old orphan, is sent by mistake to live with a lonely, middle-aged brother and sister on a Prince Edward Island farm and proceeds to make an indelible impression on everyone around her.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141321598, 0141323744, 0141334908

Tundra Books

An edition of this book was published by Tundra Books.

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909438960, 1909438979

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,699,704 books! | Top bar: Always visible