Anne Of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery

Anne Of Green Gables (edition 1983)

by L.M. Montgomery

15,027333128 (4.32)1 / 799
Title:Anne Of Green Gables
Authors:L.M. Montgomery
Info:Seal Books (1983), Edition: 1, Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages

Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery

The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett (Polenth, rosylibrarian)
    Little Women by Louisa May Alcott (VictoriaPL, kiwiflowa, Morteana)
    Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder (Polenth)
    The Annotated Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery (FranklyMyDarling)
    FranklyMyDarling: Lots of fascinating notes, photographs and insight for the real Anne fan.
    Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm by Kate Douglas Wiggin (infiniteletters)
    A Girl of the Limberlost by Gene Stratton-Porter (carlym)
    Emily of New Moon by L. M. Montgomery (Hollerama)
    The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain (Cecilturtle)
    Caddie Woodlawn by Carol Ryrie Brink (meggyweg)
    Anne of Avonlea by L. M. Montgomery (lloannna)
    lloannna: There are sequels! Lots and LOTS of sequels. This is one of them.
    I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith (casvelyn)
    casvelyn: The protagonists have a similar voice and outlook on life.
    The Keeping Days by Norma Johnston (wisewoman)
    wisewoman: Similar setting and local color. Johnston is grittier than Montgomery, but their heroines have a lot of similarities.
    The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate by Jacqueline Kelly (julienne_preacher)
    Jane of Lantern Hill by L. M. Montgomery (Hollerama)
    The Country of the Pointed Firs and Other Stories by Sarah Orne Jewett (cransell)
    cransell: The Country of Pointed Firs really reminded me of Anne of Green Gables - although not at all focused of a child or growing up. But if you enjoy one, you'll likely enjoy the other.

English (332)  Finnish (2)  French (1)  All languages (335)
I absolutely loved this book. ( )
  KamGeb | Oct 28, 2016 |
It's very nice for about 100 pages or so. You get to know the characters extremely well in a short amount of time, and the sense of humor is occasionally pretty good. But there's no story, so why does it go on for so long? ( )
  comfypants | Aug 10, 2016 |
If I could choose a book to live in, it just might be Anne of Green Gables. I'd love to live with Matthew and Marilla; go to school with Jane Andrews, Ruby Gillis, Moody Spurgeon MacPherson, and even Josie Pye; sit in Miss Stacy's classroom, and have Diana Barry as a “bosom friend.” Of course, I would be nicer to Gilbert Blythe.

I've read the book and watched the television adaptation several times, but this was the first time I have listened to an audio version. I noticed for the first time what I believe is a key to the book's enduring charm. It's Anne's voice. Although Montgomery uses an omniscient narrator, readers experience many of the key events not as they're happening, but after the fact through Anne's conversations with Matthew, Marilla, or Diana. This allows readers to view the world from Anne's perspective, as well as to view Anne as others see her.

Since this book is in the public domain, there are many audio versions to choose from. Narrator Colleen Winton did an admirable job with the vocal characterizations, and I think most listeners would be satisfied with her performance. ( )
  cbl_tn | Aug 9, 2016 |
This book, whose series I purchased for my daughter, is always an enjoyable read. It transports the reader to another time and place, PEI around the turn of the century. It tells the story of an orphan taken in by a spinster and her brother. ( )
  flewtist | Aug 1, 2016 |
Summary: Middle-aged Matthew Cuthbert and his sister Marilla meant to adopt a boy to help them around their farm, so they were rather surprised when the 11-year-old red-headed Anne Shirley shows up on their doorstop instead. Anne immediately loves the little house at Green Gables, and wants more than anything for it to be home, and for Matthew and Marilla to be her family. But what are the two of them going to do with an imaginative, talkative, and boisterous young girl? And how will Anne fit in with Matthew and Marilla, not to mention in school, and in town, when her lively spirit leads her to get into more scrapes and adventures than is entirely proper for a young woman in the early 1900s?

Review: This was always a book that I thought I had read in childhood. I owned a copy (still do, at my parents' house), and I would have sworn up and down to you that I'd read it. But when my book club selected it and I started listening to it, it turns out that if I had ever read it before, then ALL of the details had completely abandoned me in the intervening years, much worse than is usually the case with my terrible memory. So I don't think I'd ever read it as a child (I probably never got past that first sentence, damn!), and this review is therefore from the perspective of someone reading it for the first time in her mid-30s. And while I enjoyed it, it didn't bowl me over, although I can certainly see how if I'd encountered this book as a kid I would have loved it - Anne gets into plenty of scrapes and adventures, and it's funny and charming and just old-fashioned enough that my 10-year-old self would have eaten it up.

I couldn't help but compare it to my actual favorite book from childhood, A Little Princess. Both are about imaginative, kind, plucky orphans, but while Sara Crewe is largely defined by her self-contained nature, Anne is much more of an extrovert. And I think this explains whatever difference in my reactions to the two books can't be explained by the ages at which I read them. I recognized a lot of my own introverted ways in A Little Princess, whereas I am nothing like Anne Shirley, and her constant blathering actually started to wear on my nerves more than once. (I'm firmly in Marila's camp on this one - maybe because I listened to the audiobook, but ye gods, girl, pipe down for ten seconds, please?)

I also found the structure kind of strange. The book takes place over a substantially longer time span than I was expecting. Anne goes from 11 to 18 (or so) over the course of the book, but most of the book is told in a very episodic fashion focusing on her varied misadventures. As a result, time moves somewhat unevenly throughout the course of the book, and the latter sections, when Anne is older and a little more mature, seems a little at odds with the earlier, funnier sections when she was a kid. I also found some of the foreshadowing to be rather unsubtle (maybe not surprising; it is a book for kids, after all), but I also simultaneously found the ending to be rather abrupt in some ways.

Overall, though, I had a fun time listening to this book, and I can see why it's a children's classic, even if I read it 25 years too late for it to be a personal favorite. 4 out of 5 stars.

Recommendation: If this *was* a childhood favorite for you, you're probably already lining up with pitchforks to tell me why I'm wrong for not loving it. If you didn't get to it in childhood, give it to your kids, and maybe dive into it yourself when you're needing something charming and cute. ( )
  fyrefly98 | Jul 22, 2016 |

L. M. Montgomeryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Klein, LaurieNarratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Atwood, MargaretForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Burton, KateReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mills, Lauren A.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stahl, Ben F.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vesala, HiljaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The good stars met in your horoscope,
Made you of spirit and fire and dew.
- Browning
To the memory of my Father and Mother
Mrs. Rachel Lynde lived just where the Avonlea main road dipped down into a little hollow, fringed with alders and ladies' eardrops and traversed by a brook that had its source away back in the woods of the old Cuthbert place; it was reputed to be an intricate, headlong brook in its earlier course through those woods, with dark secrets of pool and cascade; but by the time it reached Lynde's Hollow it was a quiet well-conducted little stream, for not even a brook could run past Mrs. Rachel Lynde's door without due regard for decency and decorum; it probably was conscious that Mrs. Rachel was sitting at her window, keeping a sharp eye on everything that passed, from brooks and children up, and that if she noticed anything odd or out of place she would never rest until she had ferreted out the whys and wherefores thereof.
"Marilla, isn't it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet? … Oh, don't you see, Marilla? There must be a limit to the mistakes one person can make, and when I get to the end of them, then I'll be through with them. That's a very comforting thought."
"There's such a lot of different Annes in me. I sometimes think that is why I'm such a troublesome person. If I was just the one Anne it would be ever so much more comfortable, but then it wouldn't be half so interesting."
Marilla felt more embarrassed than ever. She had intended to teach Anne the childish classic, "Now I lay me down to sleep". But she had, as I have told you, the glimmerings of a sense of humor – which is simply another name for a sense of the fitness of things.
"Oh, but it's good to be alive and to be going home," breathed Anne.
But if the path set before her feet was to be narrow, she knew that flowers of quiet happiness would bloom along it.
The isbn 0553153277 is not associated with Penguin readers, but with the unabridged version of Anne of Green Gables.
The ISBN 0448060302 is the Illustrated Junior Library edition of Anne of Green Gables.

Inspiring, adventurous, and full of life, Anne (with an 'e') is adopted into the home of Matthew and Marilla Cuthbert. Although they had originally wanted a boy, they begin to fall in love with the red-headed spunky girl, despite her shenanigans. This is a story of the life of Anne Shirley; from experiencing life's highs when finding bosom friends, to being in the 'depths of despair' during its trials, Anne learns to love those around her while experiencing all life has to offer.

Available online at The Hathi Trust:

Also available at The Internet Archive:

Also available at Project Gutenberg:
We'll get an orphan,
He can help with the farm work.
Oh-oh -- she's a girl.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 055321313X, Mass Market Paperback)

When Marilla Cuthbert's brother, Matthew, returns home to Green Gables with a chatty redheaded orphan girl, Marilla exclaims, "But we asked for a boy. We have no use for a girl." It's not long, though, before the Cuthberts can't imagine how they could ever do without young Anne of Green Gables--but not for the original reasons they sought an orphan. Somewhere between the time Anne "confesses" to losing Marilla's amethyst pin (which she never took) in hopes of being allowed to go to a picnic, and when Anne accidentally dyes her hated carrot-red hair green, Marilla says to Matthew, "One thing's for certain, no house that Anne's in will ever be dull." And no book that she's in will be, either. This adapted version of the classic, Anne of Green Gables, introduces younger readers to the irrepressible heroine of L.M. Montgomery's many stories. Adapter M.C. Helldorfer includes only a few of Anne's mirthful and poignant adventures, yet manages to capture the freshness of one of children's literature's spunkiest, most beloved characters. There's just enough to make beginning readers want more--luckily, there's a lot more in the originals! Illustrator Ellen Beier creates vibrant pictures to portray the beauty of the land around Green Gables and the spirited nature of Anne herself. (Ages 5 to 8) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:50 -0400)

Anne, an eleven-year-old orphan, is sent by mistake to live with a lonely, middle-aged brother and sister on a Prince Edward Island farm and proceeds to make an indelible impression on everyone around her.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141321598, 0141323744, 0141334908

Tundra Books

An edition of this book was published by Tundra Books.

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400100712, 140010842X

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,846,851 books! | Top bar: Always visible