Anne of Green Gables (New Canadian Library)…

Anne of Green Gables (New Canadian Library) (original 1908; edition 1992)

by L.M. Montgomery, Margaret Atwood (Afterword)

13,438285162 (4.33)1 / 722
Member:Deejaymil
Title:Anne of Green Gables (New Canadian Library)
Authors:L.M. Montgomery
Other authors:Margaret Atwood (Afterword)
Info:New Canadian Library (1992), Mass Market Paperback, 344 pages
Tags:Classics, Children's Classics

Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery (1908)

The secret garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett (Polenth, rosylibrarian)
    Little Women by Louisa May Alcott (VictoriaPL, kiwiflowa)
    Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder (Polenth)
    The Annotated Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery (FranklyMyDarling)
    FranklyMyDarling: Lots of fascinating notes, photographs and insight for the real Anne fan.
    Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm by Kate Douglas Wiggin (infiniteletters)
    A Girl of the Limberlost by Gene Stratton-Porter (carlym)
    The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain (Cecilturtle)
    Caddie Woodlawn by Carol Ryrie Brink (meggyweg)
    Emily of New Moon by L. M. Montgomery (Hollerama)
    Anne of Avonlea by L. M. Montgomery (lloannna)
    lloannna: There are sequels! Lots and LOTS of sequels. This is one of them.
    The Keeping Days by Norma Johnston (wisewoman)
    wisewoman: Similar setting and local color. Johnston is grittier than Montgomery, but their heroines have a lot of similarities.
    I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith (casvelyn)
    casvelyn: The protagonists have a similar voice and outlook on life.
    The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate by Jacqueline Kelly (julienne_preacher)
    Jane of Lantern Hill by L. M. Montgomery (Hollerama)
    The Country of the Pointed Firs and Other Stories by Sarah Orne Jewett (cransell)
    cransell: The Country of Pointed Firs really reminded me of Anne of Green Gables - although not at all focused of a child or growing up. But if you enjoy one, you'll likely enjoy the other.

English (283)  Finnish (2)  French (1)  All languages (286)
Just as great as the countless other times I have read it. This time though, I plan on continuing the series! ( )
  katherineemilysmith | May 4, 2015 |
I think I actually got a condensed version of this book or something. I felt like it barely skimmed the surface, like someone was summarizing the story for me. It didn't have the depth I wanted or that I remember from watching the movies. Usually it's the opposite. But I did enjoy reading it. ( )
  KR_Patterson | Apr 28, 2015 |
A young orphan girl, Anne, is taken in by the Cuthberts Matthew and Marilla. They had requested a boy from the asylum (orphanage) but were presented with a girl. At first they were intent on sending her back but after her nonstop chatter and mannerism they didn't have the heart plus they were growing quite fond of her so she was allowed to stay. Anne is full of imagination and dreams and gets into much mischief but she is a joy to behold nonetheless. She grows up in Avonlea on Green Gables the Cuthbert's property and makes friends and enemies just the same. It is quite a delightful story and a classic in its own right. ( )
  vibrantminds | Apr 24, 2015 |
I remember liking this movie but never even thought to read the book until I saw it on the BBC's 100 Best list. That's one reason I like the list: it's bring attention to books I wouldn't normally think about. And this one deserves to be thought about, and read. I enjoyed Anne with an "e"'s character and loquacious nature. Now I need to go watch the movie again and possibly read the other two books after this one as Anne grows up even more. ( )
  Kassilem | Apr 16, 2015 |
I just didn't appreciate this. Anne is obsessed with being pretty & fashionable according to the standards of her peers, and she will not shut up even when her caregiver has a headache, and it takes her much too long to learn how to focus and not make a mess of things. I guess it's refreshing to read of a girl getting into mischief without being a tomboy. I also didn't like the ending - the author didn't have to make Marilla be needy of Anne to show how dutiful & ladylike she (Anne) had grown to be. I do so want to live at Green Gables myself, though - gorgeous countryside. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |

L. M. Montgomeryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Atwood, MargaretAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Burton, KateReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mills, Lauren A.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vesala, HiljaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The good stars met in your horoscope,
Made you of spirit and fire and dew.
- Browning
To the memory of my Father and Mother
Mrs. Rachel Lynde lived just where the Avonlea main road dipped down into a little hollow, fringed with alders and ladies' eardrops and traversed by a brook that had its source away back in the woods of the old Cuthbert place; it was reputed to be an intricate, headlong brook in its earlier course through those woods, with dark secrets of pool and cascade; but by the time it reached Lynde's Hollow it was a quiet well-conducted little stream, for not even a brook could run past Mrs. Rachel Lynde's door without due regard for decency and decorum; it probably was conscious that Mrs. Rachel was sitting at her window, keeping a sharp eye on everything that passed, from brooks and children up, and that if she noticed anything odd or out of place she would never rest until she had ferreted out the whys and wherefores thereof.
"Marilla, isn't it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet? … Oh, don't you see, Marilla? There must be a limit to the mistakes one person can make, and when I get to the end of them, then I'll be through with them. That's a very comforting thought."
"There's such a lot of different Annes in me. I sometimes think that is why I'm such a troublesome person. If I was just the one Anne it would be ever so much more comfortable, but then it wouldn't be half so interesting."
Marilla felt more embarrassed than ever. She had intended to teach Anne the childish classic, "Now I lay me down to sleep". But she had, as I have told you, the glimmerings of a sense of humor – which is simply another name for a sense of the fitness of things.
"Oh, but it's good to be alive and to be going home," breathed Anne.
But if the path set before her feet was to be narrow, she knew that flowers of quiet happiness would bloom along it.
The isbn 0553153277 is not associated with Penguin readers, but with the unabridged version of Anne of Green Gables.
Worked on by Christina Birgander and Birgitta Hvidberg
The ISBN 0448060302 is the Illustrated Junior Library edition of Anne of Green Gables.

Inspiring, adventurous, and full of life, Anne (with an 'e') is adopted into the home of Matthew and Marilla Cuthbert. Although they had originally wanted a boy, they begin to fall in love with the red-headed spunky girl, despite her shenanigans. This is a story of the life of Anne Shirley; from experiencing life's highs when finding bosom friends, to being in the 'depths of despair' during its trials, Anne learns to love those around her while experiencing all life has to offer. I absolutely love this book and how dramatic and descriptive Anne can be. It is at the top of the list because I have never really wanted to read a book more than once; and this is an exception. I also find Gilbert to be incredibly romantic as the story continues and I cannot help to fall in love with the characters that Montgomery portrays throughout this story.
We'll get an orphan,
He can help with the farm work.
Oh-oh -- she's a girl.
(SylviaC)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 055321313X, Mass Market Paperback)

When Marilla Cuthbert's brother, Matthew, returns home to Green Gables with a chatty redheaded orphan girl, Marilla exclaims, "But we asked for a boy. We have no use for a girl." It's not long, though, before the Cuthberts can't imagine how they could ever do without young Anne of Green Gables--but not for the original reasons they sought an orphan. Somewhere between the time Anne "confesses" to losing Marilla's amethyst pin (which she never took) in hopes of being allowed to go to a picnic, and when Anne accidentally dyes her hated carrot-red hair green, Marilla says to Matthew, "One thing's for certain, no house that Anne's in will ever be dull." And no book that she's in will be, either. This adapted version of the classic, Anne of Green Gables, introduces younger readers to the irrepressible heroine of L.M. Montgomery's many stories. Adapter M.C. Helldorfer includes only a few of Anne's mirthful and poignant adventures, yet manages to capture the freshness of one of children's literature's spunkiest, most beloved characters. There's just enough to make beginning readers want more--luckily, there's a lot more in the originals! Illustrator Ellen Beier creates vibrant pictures to portray the beauty of the land around Green Gables and the spirited nature of Anne herself. (Ages 5 to 8) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:28 -0400)

Anne, an eleven-year-old orphan, is sent by mistake to live with a lonely, middle-aged brother and sister on a Prince Edward Island farm and proceeds to make an indelible impression on everyone around her.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141321598, 0141323744, 0141334908

Tundra Books

An edition of this book was published by Tundra Books.

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909438960, 1909438979

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,298,189 books! | Top bar: Always visible