Anne of Green Gables (New Canadian Library)…

Anne of Green Gables (New Canadian Library) (original 1908; edition 1992)

by L.M. Montgomery, Margaret Atwood (Afterword)

12,843247178 (4.34)1 / 718
Member:Deejaymil
Title:Anne of Green Gables (New Canadian Library)
Authors:L.M. Montgomery
Other authors:Margaret Atwood (Afterword)
Info:New Canadian Library (1992), Mass Market Paperback, 344 pages
Tags:Classics, Children's Classics

Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery (1908)

Little Women by Louisa May Alcott (VictoriaPL, kiwiflowa)
    The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett (Polenth, RosyLibrarian)
    Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder (Polenth)
    The Annotated Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery (FranklyMyDarling)
    FranklyMyDarling: Lots of fascinating notes, photographs and insight for the real Anne fan.
    A Girl of the Limberlost by Gene Stratton-Porter (carlym)
    Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm by Kate Douglas Wiggin (infiniteletters)
    Caddie Woodlawn by Carol Ryrie Brink (meggyweg)
    Emily of New Moon by L. M. Montgomery (Hollerama)
    The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain (Cecilturtle)
    Heidi by Johanna Spyri (literarybuff)
    literarybuff: Both are about young orphan girls discovering the ways of the world around them and learning the true beauties of friendship and family.
    Anne of Avonlea by L. M. Montgomery (lloannna)
    lloannna: There are sequels! Lots and LOTS of sequels. This is one of them.
    I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith (casvelyn)
    casvelyn: The protagonists have a similar voice and outlook on life.
    The Keeping Days by Norma Johnston (wisewoman)
    wisewoman: Similar setting and local color. Johnston is grittier than Montgomery, but their heroines have a lot of similarities.
    The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate by Jacqueline Kelly (julienne_preacher)
    Jane of Lantern Hill by L. M. Montgomery (Hollerama)
    The Country of the Pointed Firs and Other Stories by Sarah Orne Jewett (cransell)
    cransell: The Country of Pointed Firs really reminded me of Anne of Green Gables - although not at all focused of a child or growing up. But if you enjoy one, you'll likely enjoy the other.

English (244)  Finnish (2)  French (1)  All languages (247)
Anne is an orphan girl brought to Green Gables by mistake. But she quickly charms her way into this sleepy little place and fills it with bright laughter and delightful chatter.

This is a delightful book, something about the way Anne views life is just so brilliant and passionate. It takes a rare view to see the mundane with such imagination that everything becomes a reason to smile and rapture over.

Four stars because it's so beautiful. Less one star because I think I am perhaps a touch too old for it, but oh, it is so beautiful.
Recommended for everyone. But especially dreamy girls. ( )
  NineLarks | Sep 15, 2014 |

Recommended for everyone. But especially dreamy girls. ( )
  NineLarks | Sep 15, 2014 |
As soon as Anne Shirley arrived at the snug, white farmhouse called Green Gables, she knew she wanted to stay forever... but would the Cuthberts send her back to the orphanage? Anne knows she's not what they expected -- a skinny girl with decidedly red hair and a temper to match. If only she could convince them to let her stay, she'd try very hard not to keep rushing headlong into scrapes or blurt out the very first thing she had to say. Anne was not like anybody else, everyone at Green Gables agreed; she was special -- a girl with an enormous imagination. This orphan girl dreamed of the day when she could call herself Anne of Green Gables.
  FriendsLibraryFL | Sep 6, 2014 |
Read my full review here.

I can’t think of a single negative thing to say about it. Now, hear me out. I think Montgomery creates lovely, complex characters. Reading the character dynamics and arcs was fascinating. When Marilla finally verbally tells Anne that she loves her, I was moved. As well, it’s clear how Anne matures over the course of the book - which spans years - and it was a believable change. She’s still that same imaginative, outspoken girl, but she knows how to carry herself better, etc.

This’ll seem so obvious, but I really enjoyed the scenes with Anne and Gilbert. Aside from his stunt when they met, he really seems super sweet. Ahem, he tried to give her a candy heart as another apology. How adorable is that? He genuinely rooted for her and even went out of his way to be extremely kind to her, even though she hadn’t said she’d forgiven him yet. for example, rooting for her during her reading, and giving up the local school so she could easily stay at Green Gables. Also, the fact that when she finally tells him she’s forgiven him, he walks her home and they spend half an hour at the gate talking is really lovely. I’ve read that their love story is one of the most well-written ones, and I agree.

Of course, the relationship between Anne and Matthew was also beautiful. He cares for her so much, and he really isn't afraid to show that, despite being an otherwise very shy person.

Overall, this book was a great joy to read. Montgomery knows how to paint strong pictures with her talent of description and she easily made me care for the characters. I think I’ll buy the sequels. ( )
1 vote CaitlinAC | Aug 10, 2014 |
I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by Anne of Green Gables. This was recommended to me by my friend Dannii and she insisted I read it, although I was originally quite sceptical! I thought this would be a sacharin-sweet girly girl book but after the first few chapters and having gotten used to Anne Shirley's nattering on and on I found I was really enjoying it. It's a heart-warming story and certainly gives you lift, especially considering that I had just finished the very slow and dreary American classic House of Mirth by Edith Wharton. ( )
  pcollins | Jul 27, 2014 |

L. M. Montgomeryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Atwood, MargaretAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Burton, KateReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mills, Lauren A.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vesala, HiljaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The good stars met in your horoscope,
Made you of spirit and fire and dew.
- Browning
To the memory of my Father and Mother
Mrs. Rachel Lynde lived just where the Avonlea main road dipped down into a little hollow, fringed with alders and ladies' eardrops and traversed by a brook that had its source away back in the woods of the old Cuthbert place; it was reputed to be an intricate, headlong brook in its earlier course through those woods, with dark secrets of pool and cascade; but by the time it reached Lynde's Hollow it was a quiet well-conducted little stream, for not even a brook could run past Mrs. Rachel Lynde's door without due regard for decency and decorum; it probably was conscious that Mrs. Rachel was sitting at her window, keeping a sharp eye on everything that passed, from brooks and children up, and that if she noticed anything odd or out of place she would never rest until she had ferreted out the whys and wherefores thereof.
"Marilla, isn't it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet? … Oh, don't you see, Marilla? There must be a limit to the mistakes one person can make, and when I get to the end of them, then I'll be through with them. That's a very comforting thought."
"There's such a lot of different Annes in me. I sometimes think that is why I'm such a troublesome person. If I was just the one Anne it would be ever so much more comfortable, but then it wouldn't be half so interesting."
Marilla felt more embarrassed than ever. She had intended to teach Anne the childish classic, "Now I lay me down to sleep". But she had, as I have told you, the glimmerings of a sense of humor – which is simply another name for a sense of the fitness of things.
"Oh, but it's good to be alive and to be going home," breathed Anne.
But if the path set before her feet was to be narrow, she knew that flowers of quiet happiness would bloom along it.
The isbn 0553153277 is not associated with Penguin readers, but with the unabridged version of Anne of Green Gables.
Worked on by Christina Birgander and Birgitta Hvidberg
The ISBN 0448060302 is the Illustrated Junior Library edition of Anne of Green Gables.

Inspiring, adventurous, and full of life, Anne (with an 'e') is adopted into the home of Matthew and Marilla Cuthbert. Although they had originally wanted a boy, they begin to fall in love with the red-headed spunky girl, despite her shenanigans. This is a story of the life of Anne Shirley; from experiencing life's highs when finding bosom friends, to being in the 'depths of despair' during its trials, Anne learns to love those around her while experiencing all life has to offer. I absolutely love this book and how dramatic and descriptive Anne can be. It is at the top of the list because I have never really wanted to read a book more than once; and this is an exception. I also find Gilbert to be incredibly romantic as the story continues and I cannot help to fall in love with the characters that Montgomery portrays throughout this story.
We'll get an orphan,
He can help with the farm work.
Oh-oh -- she's a girl.
(SylviaC)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 055321313X, Mass Market Paperback)

When Marilla Cuthbert's brother, Matthew, returns home to Green Gables with a chatty redheaded orphan girl, Marilla exclaims, "But we asked for a boy. We have no use for a girl." It's not long, though, before the Cuthberts can't imagine how they could ever do without young Anne of Green Gables--but not for the original reasons they sought an orphan. Somewhere between the time Anne "confesses" to losing Marilla's amethyst pin (which she never took) in hopes of being allowed to go to a picnic, and when Anne accidentally dyes her hated carrot-red hair green, Marilla says to Matthew, "One thing's for certain, no house that Anne's in will ever be dull." And no book that she's in will be, either. This adapted version of the classic, Anne of Green Gables, introduces younger readers to the irrepressible heroine of L.M. Montgomery's many stories. Adapter M.C. Helldorfer includes only a few of Anne's mirthful and poignant adventures, yet manages to capture the freshness of one of children's literature's spunkiest, most beloved characters. There's just enough to make beginning readers want more--luckily, there's a lot more in the originals! Illustrator Ellen Beier creates vibrant pictures to portray the beauty of the land around Green Gables and the spirited nature of Anne herself. (Ages 5 to 8) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:28 -0400)

Anne, an eleven-year-old orphan, is sent by mistake to live with a lonely, middle-aged brother and sister on a Prince Edward Island farm and proceeds to make an indelible impression on everyone around her.

Thirteen editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Three editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141321598, 0141323744, 0141334908

Tundra Books

An edition of this book was published by Tundra Books.

Urban Romantics

Two editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909438960, 1909438979

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,785,507 books! | Top bar: Always visible