Anne Of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery

Anne Of Green Gables (original 1908; edition 1989)

by L.M. Montgomery

Info:Scholastic Paperbacks (1989), Paperback, 384 pages
Collections:Your library, Favorites
Rating:*****
Tags:ya, favorites, anne of green gables, book 1

Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery (1908)

Little Women by Louisa May Alcott (VictoriaPL, kiwiflowa)
    The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett (Polenth, RosyLibrarian)
    Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder (Polenth)
    The Annotated Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery (FranklyMyDarling)
    FranklyMyDarling: Lots of fascinating notes, photographs and insight for the real Anne fan.
    Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm by Kate Douglas Wiggin (infiniteletters)
    Caddie Woodlawn by Carol Ryrie Brink (meggyweg)
    Emily of New Moon by L.M. Montgomery (Hollerama)
    A Girl of the Limberlost by Gene Stratton-Porter (carlym)
    The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain (Cecilturtle)
    Anne of Avonlea by L.M. Montgomery (lloannna)
    lloannna: There are sequels! Lots and LOTS of sequels. This is one of them.
    Heidi by Johanna Spyri (literarybuff)
    literarybuff: Both are about young orphan girls discovering the ways of the world around them and learning the true beauties of friendship and family.
    I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith (casvelyn)
    casvelyn: The protagonists have a similar voice and outlook on life.
    The Keeping Days by Norma Johnston (wisewoman)
    wisewoman: Similar setting and local color. Johnston is grittier than Montgomery, but their heroines have a lot of similarities.
    Jane of Lantern Hill by L.M. Montgomery (Hollerama)
    The Country of the Pointed Firs and Other Stories by Sarah Orne Jewett (cransell)
    cransell: The Country of Pointed Firs really reminded me of Anne of Green Gables - although not at all focused of a child or growing up. But if you enjoy one, you'll likely enjoy the other.
    The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate by Jacqueline Kelly (julienne_preacher)

English (234)  Finnish (2)  French (1)  All languages (237)
A book that's "felt like" I'd read it already for years when I hadn't. I've seen and have immensely enjoyed all three Anne of Green Gables films with Megan Follows several times, and I've read other Anne books, just never the first--until now.

Exactly what I'd "felt like" it would be, and it didn't disappoint! It probably doesn't have what some modern experts might call perfect plot development, but Montgomery has her own genius that goes to show that books don't have to follow all the prescribed rules to be extraordinary and timeless. (Hmm. It seems that classic literature that has been lauded and loved for generations oftentimes doesn't follow all the rules people now say literature must adhere to in order to be "good" reading these days, and I doubt we'd like the classics half as much if they fit into the boxes that are now prescribed.) Anyway, to avoid a rant, I'll just say I can see why Anne Shirley is an internationally beloved heroine, and I'm delighted to have finally read the first book. Beautiful! ( )
  NadineC.Keels | Apr 10, 2014 |
I feel that this book is a nice heart warming story for young girls. It follows a young girl named Anne through her life adventures. Anne is an orphan and gets chosen by a family that has a house in a beautiful part of the country equipped with beautiful green gables. Her new parents initially wanted a boy but decided that Anne would work just fine instead. Anne does get into a lot of trouble but makes a good friend in spite of everything and realizes that she does not have to be like everyone else. ( )
  Nicolec78 | Mar 27, 2014 |
Anne of green gables is a great story filled with juicy detail of the stunning main charter Anne. The story tells the life of an orphan girl who gets picked to go to the beautiful green gables but her new parents wanted a boy the end up keeping Anne. As she gets into lots of trouble she is enjoying the change in her life even though she hasn't got puffed sleeves but she dose manage to make a good friend. ( )
  HeidiGreen | Mar 25, 2014 |
This is one of my all time favorite books. This book will ALWAYS hold special memories of my mom and maternal grandmother. In fact my grandmother has actually been to Lucy Maud Montgomery's house on Prince Edward Island. I thought that was pretty awesome.
  Swade0710 | Mar 20, 2014 |
My last read for February, this was one more of my LT Group reads - Anne of Green Gables, a children's story, which turned out to be a most delightful read. Set in, from what I hear, the very picturesque Prince Edward Island in Canada, the pride and delight of the author in describing the beauty of the island, through the eyes of little Anne, was very apparent.

And little Anne turned out to be quite a character too! With no one immune or able to resist her enchanting influence, she thrills the otherwise quiet folks at Avonlea. That she charms the reader too, is a foregone conclusion.

The book was just the right length too, and ends with Anne as a 16 year old girl. Apparently there are sequels, but I would likely skip them, for I highly doubt the young woman, Anne, would hold my attention as much as girl Anne did. ( )
1 vote PiyushC | Mar 11, 2014 |

L.M. Montgomeryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Atwood, MargaretAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Burton, KateReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vesala, HiljaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The good stars met in your horoscope,
Made you of spirit and fire and dew.
- Browning
To the memory of my Father and Mother
Mrs. Rachel Lynde lived just where the Avonlea main road dipped down into a little hollow, fringed with alders and ladies' eardrops and traversed by a brook that had its source away back in the woods of the old Cuthbert place; it was reputed to be an intricate, headlong brook in its earlier course through those woods, with dark secrets of pool and cascade; but by the time it reached Lynde's Hollow it was a quiet well-conducted little stream, for not even a brook could run past Mrs. Rachel Lynde's door without due regard for decency and decorum; it probably was conscious that Mrs. Rachel was sitting at her window, keeping a sharp eye on everything that passed, from brooks and children up, and that if she noticed anything odd or out of place she would never rest until she had ferreted out the whys and wherefores thereof.
"Marilla, isn't it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet? … Oh, don't you see, Marilla? There must be a limit to the mistakes one person can make, and when I get to the end of them, then I'll be through with them. That's a very comforting thought."
"There's such a lot of different Annes in me. I sometimes think that is why I'm such a troublesome person. If I was just the one Anne it would be ever so much more comfortable, but then it wouldn't be half so interesting."
Marilla felt more embarrassed than ever. She had intended to teach Anne the childish classic, "Now I lay me down to sleep". But she had, as I have told you, the glimmerings of a sense of humor – which is simply another name for a sense of the fitness of things.
"Oh, but it's good to be alive and to be going home," breathed Anne.
But if the path set before her feet was to be narrow, she knew that flowers of quiet happiness would bloom along it.
The isbn 0553153277 is not associated with Penguin readers, but with the unabridged version of Anne of Green Gables.
Worked on by Christina Birgander and Birgitta Hvidberg

Inspiring, adventurous, and full of life, Anne (with an 'e') is adopted into the home of Matthew and Marilla Cuthbert. Although they had originally wanted a boy, they begin to fall in love with the red-headed spunky girl, despite her shenanigans. This is a story of the life of Anne Shirley; from experiencing life's highs when finding bosom friends, to being in the 'depths of despair' during its trials, Anne learns to love those around her while experiencing all life has to offer. I absolutely love this book and how dramatic and descriptive Anne can be. It is at the top of the list because I have never really wanted to read a book more than once; and this is an exception. I also find Gilbert to be incredibly romantic as the story continues and I cannot help to fall in love with the characters that Montgomery portrays throughout this story.
We'll get an orphan,
He can help with the farm work.
Oh-oh -- she's a girl.
(SylviaC)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 055321313X, Mass Market Paperback)

When Marilla Cuthbert's brother, Matthew, returns home to Green Gables with a chatty redheaded orphan girl, Marilla exclaims, "But we asked for a boy. We have no use for a girl." It's not long, though, before the Cuthberts can't imagine how they could ever do without young Anne of Green Gables--but not for the original reasons they sought an orphan. Somewhere between the time Anne "confesses" to losing Marilla's amethyst pin (which she never took) in hopes of being allowed to go to a picnic, and when Anne accidentally dyes her hated carrot-red hair green, Marilla says to Matthew, "One thing's for certain, no house that Anne's in will ever be dull." And no book that she's in will be, either. This adapted version of the classic, Anne of Green Gables, introduces younger readers to the irrepressible heroine of L.M. Montgomery's many stories. Adapter M.C. Helldorfer includes only a few of Anne's mirthful and poignant adventures, yet manages to capture the freshness of one of children's literature's spunkiest, most beloved characters. There's just enough to make beginning readers want more--luckily, there's a lot more in the originals! Illustrator Ellen Beier creates vibrant pictures to portray the beauty of the land around Green Gables and the spirited nature of Anne herself. (Ages 5 to 8) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:28 -0400)

By mistake, Anne, an eleven-year-old orphan, is sent to live with a lonely, middle-aged brother and sister on a farm on Prince Edward Island and proceeds to make an indelible impression on everyone.

Eleven editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Three editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141321598, 0141323744, 0141334908

Tundra Books

An edition of this book was published by Tundra Books.

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,407,104 books! | Top bar: Always visible