Anne Of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery

Anne Of Green Gables (original 1908; edition 1989)

by L.M. Montgomery

Info:Scholastic Paperbacks (1989), Paperback, 384 pages
Collections:Your library, Favorites
Rating:*****
Tags:ya, favorites, anne of green gables, book 1

Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery (1908)

Little Women by Louisa May Alcott (VictoriaPL, kiwiflowa)
    The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett (Polenth, RosyLibrarian)
    Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder (Polenth)
    The Annotated Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery (FranklyMyDarling)
    FranklyMyDarling: Lots of fascinating notes, photographs and insight for the real Anne fan.
    Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm by Kate Douglas Wiggin (infiniteletters)
    Caddie Woodlawn by Carol Ryrie Brink (meggyweg)
    Emily of New Moon by L. M. Montgomery (Hollerama)
    A Girl of the Limberlost by Gene Stratton-Porter (carlym)
    The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain (Cecilturtle)
    Heidi by Johanna Spyri (literarybuff)
    literarybuff: Both are about young orphan girls discovering the ways of the world around them and learning the true beauties of friendship and family.
    Anne of Avonlea by L. M. Montgomery (lloannna)
    lloannna: There are sequels! Lots and LOTS of sequels. This is one of them.
    I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith (casvelyn)
    casvelyn: The protagonists have a similar voice and outlook on life.
    The Keeping Days by Norma Johnston (wisewoman)
    wisewoman: Similar setting and local color. Johnston is grittier than Montgomery, but their heroines have a lot of similarities.
    The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate by Jacqueline Kelly (julienne_preacher)
    Jane of Lantern Hill by L. M. Montgomery (Hollerama)
    The Country of the Pointed Firs and Other Stories by Sarah Orne Jewett (cransell)
    cransell: The Country of Pointed Firs really reminded me of Anne of Green Gables - although not at all focused of a child or growing up. But if you enjoy one, you'll likely enjoy the other.

English (240)  Finnish (2)  French (1)  All languages (243)
This review is for the audiobook edition. Colleen Winton did a good job with her narration, but for some reason, her voice for Anne struck me as slightly wrong somehow. The effect of that faded as the book progressed but prevented me from giving this a full 5 stars. ( )
  leslie.98 | Jul 21, 2014 |
For Christmas, I ordered an mp3 player (Library of Classics) that was pre-loaded with 100 works of classic literature in an audio format. Each work is in the public domain and is read by amateurs, so the quality of the presentation is hit or miss. After sampling about a dozen more well-known offerings, I was left to select those with which I was less familiar. That is how I came across Anne of Green Gables.

This is a simply written story of a young orphan girl, age eleven, who is taken in by a middle aged couple on Prince Edward Island in Canada around the end of the 19th century. Anne Shirley is a very bright, imaginative and extremely talkative young lady who has a way of finding herself in a number of interesting situations. While it soon became obvious that this was more in the nature of a young adult offering, I nevertheless listened to its conclusion. While I wouldn’t necessarily recommend it for adult readers, it would seem to be a perfectly good option for early teen readers. ( )
  santhony | Jun 26, 2014 |
Title Anne of Green Gables
Author L. M. Montgomery
Illustrator None
Publisher Mass Market Paperback
Date 1982
Pages 336

Short Summary: Matthew and Marilia Cuthbert are unmarried siblings who live on a farm in the town called Green Gables. Matthew is 60 years old and is to old to have kids of his own so he decides to adopt an orphan boy to also help him with the work on the farm. Matthew gets to the train station to get this orphan boy and they send an orphan girl instead. Anne Shirley is 11 years old the couple ends up keeping Anna, this is where Anna gets to experience things she hasn't done or experience before like going to church. She didn't have any friends so she made up fake friends Anna had a very keen imagination this book goes on to tell about Anna's many adventures.

Tags or subject headings would be imagination.

My Response: I really enjoyed this book I could picture Anna in my head and picture all the adventures she went on living with Matthew and Marilia. I also remember that this was the first chapter book I read when I actually could read chapter books when I was old enough to. I think the cover of this book caught my attention. ( )
  Mihalevich | May 13, 2014 |
Loved it... such an old classic that I read as a teenager. I was happy to find it remaining special to me. ( )
  LASMIT | May 4, 2014 |
Had to pick this up when we visited Prince Edward Island recently--it seemed de rigueur. Not too sorry I missed Anne in my younger days, but she did grow on me, especially from reading aloud to my husband as he drove. Most impressive to me was the painterly love for the (very beautiful) natural settings of the island that come through in Montgomery's writing--there's no nature deficit disorder in this book. It's flowery stuff, literally. ( )
  CSRodgers | May 3, 2014 |

L. M. Montgomeryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Atwood, MargaretAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Burton, KateReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vesala, HiljaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The good stars met in your horoscope,
Made you of spirit and fire and dew.
- Browning
To the memory of my Father and Mother
Mrs. Rachel Lynde lived just where the Avonlea main road dipped down into a little hollow, fringed with alders and ladies' eardrops and traversed by a brook that had its source away back in the woods of the old Cuthbert place; it was reputed to be an intricate, headlong brook in its earlier course through those woods, with dark secrets of pool and cascade; but by the time it reached Lynde's Hollow it was a quiet well-conducted little stream, for not even a brook could run past Mrs. Rachel Lynde's door without due regard for decency and decorum; it probably was conscious that Mrs. Rachel was sitting at her window, keeping a sharp eye on everything that passed, from brooks and children up, and that if she noticed anything odd or out of place she would never rest until she had ferreted out the whys and wherefores thereof.
"Marilla, isn't it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet? … Oh, don't you see, Marilla? There must be a limit to the mistakes one person can make, and when I get to the end of them, then I'll be through with them. That's a very comforting thought."
"There's such a lot of different Annes in me. I sometimes think that is why I'm such a troublesome person. If I was just the one Anne it would be ever so much more comfortable, but then it wouldn't be half so interesting."
Marilla felt more embarrassed than ever. She had intended to teach Anne the childish classic, "Now I lay me down to sleep". But she had, as I have told you, the glimmerings of a sense of humor – which is simply another name for a sense of the fitness of things.
"Oh, but it's good to be alive and to be going home," breathed Anne.
But if the path set before her feet was to be narrow, she knew that flowers of quiet happiness would bloom along it.
The isbn 0553153277 is not associated with Penguin readers, but with the unabridged version of Anne of Green Gables.
Worked on by Christina Birgander and Birgitta Hvidberg

Inspiring, adventurous, and full of life, Anne (with an 'e') is adopted into the home of Matthew and Marilla Cuthbert. Although they had originally wanted a boy, they begin to fall in love with the red-headed spunky girl, despite her shenanigans. This is a story of the life of Anne Shirley; from experiencing life's highs when finding bosom friends, to being in the 'depths of despair' during its trials, Anne learns to love those around her while experiencing all life has to offer. I absolutely love this book and how dramatic and descriptive Anne can be. It is at the top of the list because I have never really wanted to read a book more than once; and this is an exception. I also find Gilbert to be incredibly romantic as the story continues and I cannot help to fall in love with the characters that Montgomery portrays throughout this story.
We'll get an orphan,
He can help with the farm work.
Oh-oh -- she's a girl.
(SylviaC)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 055321313X, Mass Market Paperback)

When Marilla Cuthbert's brother, Matthew, returns home to Green Gables with a chatty redheaded orphan girl, Marilla exclaims, "But we asked for a boy. We have no use for a girl." It's not long, though, before the Cuthberts can't imagine how they could ever do without young Anne of Green Gables--but not for the original reasons they sought an orphan. Somewhere between the time Anne "confesses" to losing Marilla's amethyst pin (which she never took) in hopes of being allowed to go to a picnic, and when Anne accidentally dyes her hated carrot-red hair green, Marilla says to Matthew, "One thing's for certain, no house that Anne's in will ever be dull." And no book that she's in will be, either. This adapted version of the classic, Anne of Green Gables, introduces younger readers to the irrepressible heroine of L.M. Montgomery's many stories. Adapter M.C. Helldorfer includes only a few of Anne's mirthful and poignant adventures, yet manages to capture the freshness of one of children's literature's spunkiest, most beloved characters. There's just enough to make beginning readers want more--luckily, there's a lot more in the originals! Illustrator Ellen Beier creates vibrant pictures to portray the beauty of the land around Green Gables and the spirited nature of Anne herself. (Ages 5 to 8) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:28 -0400)

Anne, an eleven-year-old orphan, is sent by mistake to live with a lonely, middle-aged brother and sister on a Prince Edward Island farm and proceeds to make an indelible impression on everyone around her.

Thirteen editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Three editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141321598, 0141323744, 0141334908

Tundra Books

An edition of this book was published by Tundra Books.

Urban Romantics

Two editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909438960, 1909438979

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,483,084 books! | Top bar: Always visible