Anne Of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery

Anne Of Green Gables (original 1908; edition 1989)

by L.M. Montgomery

Info:Scholastic Paperbacks (1989), Paperback, 384 pages
Collections:Your library, Favorites
Rating:*****
Tags:ya, favorites, anne of green gables, book 1

Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery (1908)

The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett (Polenth, rosylibrarian)
    Little Women by Louisa May Alcott (VictoriaPL, kiwiflowa)
    Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder (Polenth)
    The Annotated Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery (FranklyMyDarling)
    FranklyMyDarling: Lots of fascinating notes, photographs and insight for the real Anne fan.
    Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm by Kate Douglas Wiggin (infiniteletters)
    A Girl of the Limberlost by Gene Stratton-Porter (carlym)
    The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain (Cecilturtle)
    Caddie Woodlawn by Carol Ryrie Brink (meggyweg)
    Emily of New Moon by L. M. Montgomery (Hollerama)
    Anne of Avonlea by L. M. Montgomery (lloannna)
    lloannna: There are sequels! Lots and LOTS of sequels. This is one of them.
    The Keeping Days by Norma Johnston (wisewoman)
    wisewoman: Similar setting and local color. Johnston is grittier than Montgomery, but their heroines have a lot of similarities.
    I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith (casvelyn)
    casvelyn: The protagonists have a similar voice and outlook on life.
    The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate by Jacqueline Kelly (julienne_preacher)
    Jane of Lantern Hill by L. M. Montgomery (Hollerama)
    The Country of the Pointed Firs and Other Stories by Sarah Orne Jewett (cransell)
    cransell: The Country of Pointed Firs really reminded me of Anne of Green Gables - although not at all focused of a child or growing up. But if you enjoy one, you'll likely enjoy the other.

English (269)  Finnish (2)  French (1)  All languages (272)
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I just love this edition. It is so pretty and ofcourse the story is fantastic . Very well written.
I admit I have never read the other books but I have to get my hands on the others. ( )
  GigglesSilly | Feb 27, 2015 |
Anne of Green Gables is about a young orphan, Ann who goes and lives with Matthew and Marrilla Cuthbert at Green Gables. She is quite a lively little girl with red hair. She meets her best friend Diane Blaine. She gets into a lot of trouble, but also has many fun adventures.
  RachelHollingsworth | Feb 27, 2015 |
This whole series was one of my favorite series growing up. It is set in Canada at the turn of the 20th Century. Anne is a great example of a girl who loves to read and has an amazing imagination. I love Anne Shirley. I always wanted to have red hair because of her. I just think all little girls should read about this strong-willed girl!
Reading Level: 5.2 Interest Level: 3-6 ( )
  TaraKennedy | Feb 26, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The new edition of ANNE OF GREEN GABLES from Tundra Books is excellent. You likely know the story of the red-headed orphan who makes good. What makes this edition so valuable is its physical presentation as a book: clear typography, appropriate leading, and wide gutters. I tried to read ANNE decades ago in a mass-market edition and repeatedly gave up; but I flew through this edition and am happy I did.

For those who haven't read it, ANNE OF GREEN GABLES is the story of Anne Shirley, a talkative and imaginative girl who arrives in a small village as the result of a mistake in communication. She remains with the people who have taken her in and charms the locals with her big words, fanciful ideas, and warm heart. It's a nostalgic but endearing story, and the writing is beautiful.

ANNE OF GREEN GABLES was originally published more than a century ago. The story and the character have become a tourism enterprise in Prince Edward Island, attracting hundreds of thousands of visitors annually. If you're wondering why the book and its sequels (and a related shorter series) have been so popular, this is a great edition to explore: it's an attractive physical package and includes a brief but helpful introduction to L.M. Montgomery. And if there's a young reader in your life, this edition could make a delightful gift. I wish this volume had existed when I was a child so that I might have met Anne much sooner. I'll be looking for the companion volumes from Tundra. ( )
  laVermeer | Feb 26, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Having grown up reading Little House on the Prairie instead, I was glad to read this Canadian classic after meaning to for so long! I can now understand its status as a well-loved story with a well-known character: the talkative, imaginative, and optimistic Anne Shirley. Especially due to the appearance of the volume, I didn’t feel like I was reading a children’s book. Like the island that serves as the book's setting, this volume is very attractive, with beautiful green and blue covers and spine. I also enjoyed the pleasant texture of the pages. The attached ribbon provided a convenient way to mark my page without risk of damaging the pages.

As this is the first of Lucy Maud Montgomery's books on Anne, I am curious what future volumes in this series will look like! ( )
  hhope | Feb 21, 2015 |

L. M. Montgomeryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Atwood, MargaretAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Burton, KateReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mills, Lauren A.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vesala, HiljaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The good stars met in your horoscope,
Made you of spirit and fire and dew.
- Browning
To the memory of my Father and Mother
Mrs. Rachel Lynde lived just where the Avonlea main road dipped down into a little hollow, fringed with alders and ladies' eardrops and traversed by a brook that had its source away back in the woods of the old Cuthbert place; it was reputed to be an intricate, headlong brook in its earlier course through those woods, with dark secrets of pool and cascade; but by the time it reached Lynde's Hollow it was a quiet well-conducted little stream, for not even a brook could run past Mrs. Rachel Lynde's door without due regard for decency and decorum; it probably was conscious that Mrs. Rachel was sitting at her window, keeping a sharp eye on everything that passed, from brooks and children up, and that if she noticed anything odd or out of place she would never rest until she had ferreted out the whys and wherefores thereof.
"Marilla, isn't it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet? … Oh, don't you see, Marilla? There must be a limit to the mistakes one person can make, and when I get to the end of them, then I'll be through with them. That's a very comforting thought."
"There's such a lot of different Annes in me. I sometimes think that is why I'm such a troublesome person. If I was just the one Anne it would be ever so much more comfortable, but then it wouldn't be half so interesting."
Marilla felt more embarrassed than ever. She had intended to teach Anne the childish classic, "Now I lay me down to sleep". But she had, as I have told you, the glimmerings of a sense of humor – which is simply another name for a sense of the fitness of things.
"Oh, but it's good to be alive and to be going home," breathed Anne.
But if the path set before her feet was to be narrow, she knew that flowers of quiet happiness would bloom along it.
The isbn 0553153277 is not associated with Penguin readers, but with the unabridged version of Anne of Green Gables.
Worked on by Christina Birgander and Birgitta Hvidberg
The ISBN 0448060302 is the Illustrated Junior Library edition of Anne of Green Gables.

Inspiring, adventurous, and full of life, Anne (with an 'e') is adopted into the home of Matthew and Marilla Cuthbert. Although they had originally wanted a boy, they begin to fall in love with the red-headed spunky girl, despite her shenanigans. This is a story of the life of Anne Shirley; from experiencing life's highs when finding bosom friends, to being in the 'depths of despair' during its trials, Anne learns to love those around her while experiencing all life has to offer. I absolutely love this book and how dramatic and descriptive Anne can be. It is at the top of the list because I have never really wanted to read a book more than once; and this is an exception. I also find Gilbert to be incredibly romantic as the story continues and I cannot help to fall in love with the characters that Montgomery portrays throughout this story.
We'll get an orphan,
He can help with the farm work.
Oh-oh -- she's a girl.
(SylviaC)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 055321313X, Mass Market Paperback)

When Marilla Cuthbert's brother, Matthew, returns home to Green Gables with a chatty redheaded orphan girl, Marilla exclaims, "But we asked for a boy. We have no use for a girl." It's not long, though, before the Cuthberts can't imagine how they could ever do without young Anne of Green Gables--but not for the original reasons they sought an orphan. Somewhere between the time Anne "confesses" to losing Marilla's amethyst pin (which she never took) in hopes of being allowed to go to a picnic, and when Anne accidentally dyes her hated carrot-red hair green, Marilla says to Matthew, "One thing's for certain, no house that Anne's in will ever be dull." And no book that she's in will be, either. This adapted version of the classic, Anne of Green Gables, introduces younger readers to the irrepressible heroine of L.M. Montgomery's many stories. Adapter M.C. Helldorfer includes only a few of Anne's mirthful and poignant adventures, yet manages to capture the freshness of one of children's literature's spunkiest, most beloved characters. There's just enough to make beginning readers want more--luckily, there's a lot more in the originals! Illustrator Ellen Beier creates vibrant pictures to portray the beauty of the land around Green Gables and the spirited nature of Anne herself. (Ages 5 to 8) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:28 -0400)

Anne, an eleven-year-old orphan, is sent by mistake to live with a lonely, middle-aged brother and sister on a Prince Edward Island farm and proceeds to make an indelible impression on everyone around her.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141321598, 0141323744, 0141334908

Tundra Books

An edition of this book was published by Tundra Books.

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909438960, 1909438979

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,798,725 books! | Top bar: Always visible