Broken (Women of the Otherworld, Book 6) by…

Broken (Women of the Otherworld, Book 6) (edition 2006)

by Kelley Armstrong

Member:LadyCerberus
Title:Broken (Women of the Otherworld, Book 6)
Authors:Kelley Armstrong
Info:Bantam (2006), Mass Market Paperback, 480 pages

Broken by Kelley Armstrong

I really like the Elena arc of the story. This one was fast paced and interesting. The only bad thing I noticed was I could pick out the 'bad guy' right away. I liked the overall progression of the storyline. Overall, it's a really good installment to the series. ( )
  bonreads | Jun 11, 2014 |
Fast-paced and full of brilliant description that really gets your senses in an uproar. ( )
  RebeccaClareSmith | Jan 24, 2014 |
Elena, Clay and Jeremy are contacted by an old acquaintance – Xavier, the Half-Demon guard from Stolen. When she was in the compound he did her a further, the debt remains unpaid. Of course, Xavier knows better to hold the debt over a werewolf so he offers them a deal – he helps them again in finding a rogue werewolf and they help him steal a letter – the From Hell letter connected to the Jack the Ripper case that is in a Sorcerer’s private collection.

It seems like a simple snatch and grab, albeit one that requires the werewolves’ unique abilities. But when they get the letter free, they find it is far more than it seems, with portal placed within it. From out of the portal a little of Victorian London comes through – including cholera, aggressive rats, and possibly Jack the Ripper himself – and a couple of zombies. All unleashed on an unsuspecting and unprepared Toronto.

The pack has no ties here, but is faced with a disaster they are responsible – but how much do they risk to fix it, especially with Elena being heavily pregnant?

I actually like the fact that this story is based on the characters screwing up. Seems odd to say since I often rail against character foolishness. But their screw-up isn’t based on (much) foolishness, there was no way, with their state of knowledge, that the characters could possibly have known the consequences of their actions. Even if they did know about Sorcerer magic, there’s no way they could have guessed or reasonably have expected the From Hell letter to be a part of that. It shows characters who are not perfect, are faced with major consequences that are their fault – and that they have both guilt and responsibility for. And it shows that sometimes, even with the best intentions, shit happens. It shows that characters can actually get it wrong and be flawed WITHOUT being Too Stupid To Live. Even when it’s character like Jeremy, renowned for his near perfect intelligence and planning, he can still be caught off guard by his own ignorance – no character is perfect, no-one knows everything and everyone can screw up without us having to shatter believability.

I also think they did a very good job of covering both reasonable guilt and responsibility without everyone curling into a small ball and wailing at the angst of it all.

The story was well paced, which is something I love about this series. They’re never rushed but never does the down time feel like it’s dragging or dull – which is especially hard to do in an investigation. Though there are leads that don’t go as far as expected (because no investigation does) each adds its own twist to the story and advancing the plot. We were introduced to some new characters including Zoe who is pretty fleshed out – and we ship Jaime in who is always a favourite of mine. With all these books just seeing all these characters we’ve come to know interacting with each other is great fun and seeing the full story and relationships develop really adds to the world. And through their helping each other we learn more about ther abilities, more about how the structures work without ever having to resort to info dumping or lecturing.

It was also interesting returning to the werewolf pack after the break with Paige, Lucas and Eve, so much time has passed and it would be interesting to see what had changed and evolved. And I do like Elena and Clay as characters when Clay isn’t playing Neanderthal man and epitomising the Hauptman Effect, which, to be fair, he didn’t in this book beyond the hovering over Elena’s pregnancy. The problem is I don’t think a lot did change and evolve from Stolen – yes there’s a lot easier relationship between Clay and Elena but, at the same time, everything is eclipsed by the huge great spectre of the ZOMG!PREGNANCY meaning that relationship, and the wider relationship with other pack members doesn’t get much showcasing.

The main glaring problem I have with this book is, well, the entire concept. Which is basically “pregnant woman is so helpless and weak and incapable”. Even the title of the book – “Broken”. She’s pregnant, not injured! There’s a mosquito – zomg she could get the pregnant lady lurgy – get her away! Argh the enemy has syphilis, save the pregnant lady! Is that water bottled? NOOOO THE PREGNANT LADY! And she waddles and stumbles and can barely move and we’re constantly reminded that she could do X, Y, Z if only she weren’t pregnant!

It’s not just the fussing of Jeremy and Clay, as inexperienced, worried menfolk going over the top to shelter the poor, delicate pregnant lady – no, she is presented as being objectively helpless and incapable.

Read More ( )
  FangsfortheFantasy | Sep 20, 2013 |
Women of the Otherworld is one of my favourite urban fantasy series, in fact, Elena and Clay are my favourite couple in the series, but unfortunately, this one was only an okay instalment for me. As much as I liked seeing the Pack again and even liked the addition of Jaime the necromancer's part in the plot and revelations about her character which will hopefully be explored in another book, however the story seemed to drag on and the whole Elena being pregnant thing really got on my nerves. Over all a bit meh. ( )
  sunsetxcocktail | Sep 8, 2013 |
I think that while this is a good book, it was written to set the tone for the rest of Elena's relationship with Clay. ( )
  lesmel | Jul 12, 2013 |
To Jeff
Clayton doesn't do "unobtrusive" well.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553588184, Mass Market Paperback)

In this thrilling new novel from the author of Industrial Magic, a pregnant werewolf may have unwittingly unleashed Jack the Ripper on twenty-first-century—and become his next target.

Ever since she discovered she’s pregnant, Elena Michaels has been on edge. After all, she’s never heard of another living female werewolf, let alone one who’s given birth. But thankfully, her expertise is needed to retrieve a stolen letter allegedly written by Jack the Ripper. As a distraction, the job seems simple enough—only the letter contains a portal to Victorian London’s underworld, which Elena inadvertently triggers—unleashing a vicious killer and a pair of zombie thugs.

Now Elena must find a way to seal the portal before the unwelcome visitors get what they’re looking for—which, for some unknown reason, is Elena.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:18:44 -0400)

Unsettled by her pregnancy, werewolf Elena Michaels is given the task of retrieving a stolen letter allegedly written by Jack the Ripper, but she soon discovers that the letter contains a portal to Victorian London's underworld, allowing the vicious killer access to the twenty-first century, where he and a pair of zombie thugs are searching for Elena.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,206,496 books! | Top bar: Always visible