Broken (Women of the Otherworld, Book 6) by…

Broken (Women of the Otherworld, Book 6) (edition 2006)

by Kelley Armstrong

Member:LadyCerberus
Title:Broken (Women of the Otherworld, Book 6)
Authors:Kelley Armstrong
Info:Bantam (2006), Mass Market Paperback, 480 pages

Broken by Kelley Armstrong

Broken
4 Stars

When Elena Michaels is asked to pay back a favor, little does she know that she is about to unleash one of the most vile murderers of all time onto an unsuspecting world. Tasked with stealing Jack the Ripper's "From Hell" letter, Elena accidentally triggers a dimensional portal that enables zombies, plagues and even the notorious killer to appear in modern day Toronto.

Fast paced and action packed with strong world building and solid character development. Unfortunately, the Ripper lore is not utilized to its fullest potential.

Broken highlights once again Armstrong's skillful construction of a world replete with numerous supernatural beings existing in secret alongside humanity. Werewolves, demons, vampires, zombies, witches and sorcerers are all woven seamlessly into the storyline.

In terms of the romance, Elena and Clay's relationship has improved drastically. In contrast to the childish, squabbling pair in the first two books of the series, they have finally become a cohesive unit. Elena has definitely matured (perhaps her pregnancy has had a positive effect on her) and is a great deal less whinny. Similarly, Clay has realized that he cannot keep Elena wrapped in cotton-wool and supports her choices rather than constantly arguing with her.

While Jack the Ripper is a favorite theme of mine, it is not put to good use within the narrative as the zombies take center stage, and the explanation given for the Ripper's original killing spree is uninspired and obscure. Moreover, the identity of the primary villain is painfully obvious and one wonders how Elena and her allies managed to miss all of the clues.

All in all, an entertaining addition to the series and the hints that Jeremy is finally beginning to see Jaime as something other than a ditzy necromancer are intriguing. Their book is next and not a moment too soon. Hopefully it will live up to expectations.
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |
It was really nice to go back to the original narrator of this series. I kind of missed her sarcasm and her strength.

I felt like this book shows a completely different Elena. She's pregnant and, because she isn't allowed do to almost anything (by any of her pack mates), she's bored. She's also a little afraid I think. Being the only female werewolf, her pregnancy is a mystery for everyone and it's a reason for everyone to worry about her and her babies. For me it was a little strange seeing this side of her, because I'm used to a powerful, confident Elena, one that isn't afraid of anything and one that can do almost anything. Oh, and let's not forget about powerful, nothing-can-hurt-him Clay. But I think it was a good thing to see the vulnerable side of both of them. Makes them that much stronger and makes me love these characters more.

I also liked that we get to see Jamie. I really do love her!

The book was fast-paced, full of action, mystery, zombies and the occasionally funny dialogue, along with sarcasm. It isn't my favorite book of the series so far, but it is good. Now off to read about Jamie :D ( )
  Rubys.books | Oct 15, 2016 |
I'm a little bummed by this one. Elena just wasn't the same. I didn't really like the pregnancy thing. It definitely had a slow start. The ending was decent though. I loved that Clay and Nick were same as always !! ( )
  LenaR0307 | May 30, 2016 |
(Audio) Ahhhhh, Clay and Elana are pregnant ! Extra Alpha Clay is the hovering dad to be of the century. Really he gets a gold metal for it. Too bad Elena is not on the same thought wave. She wants adventure and excitement. Her pregnancy is new to all, female were's are extremely rare and there is no records of pregnancy. So, along comes what seems a simple easy case to take the edge off, but with all things supernatural nothing is easy Elena had me screaming at her to "just let it go, take care of the babes !" She didn't, it got bad, people died, other people got hurt, people I liked and some I wanted to hurt myself.
This story outside of the preganacy is all about magic the dead, the rotten and the smell, ick, ick, ick, there is so much talk of the nasty smell I was holding my breath along with them. You'll see, it fills the second half, were's hunt by smell. The whole magical side of the story was not as interesting as the relationship between Elena and Clay they have come so far. I found myself focussing on them more than the mystery. I thought the end of the mystery was a bit rushed to a conclusion. It was a far fetched but twisted well tale.
Love the ending!!!
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
Good entry. More about the friendly supernaturals. Simple mystery, but they were distracted by her pregnancy. ( )
  bgknighton | Feb 10, 2015 |

Kelley Armstrongprimary authorall editionscalculated
Accornero, FrancoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Jeff
Clayton doesn't do "unobtrusive" well.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553588184, Mass Market Paperback)

In this thrilling new novel from the author of Industrial Magic, a pregnant werewolf may have unwittingly unleashed Jack the Ripper on twenty-first-century—and become his next target.

Ever since she discovered she’s pregnant, Elena Michaels has been on edge. After all, she’s never heard of another living female werewolf, let alone one who’s given birth. But thankfully, her expertise is needed to retrieve a stolen letter allegedly written by Jack the Ripper. As a distraction, the job seems simple enough—only the letter contains a portal to Victorian London’s underworld, which Elena inadvertently triggers—unleashing a vicious killer and a pair of zombie thugs.

Now Elena must find a way to seal the portal before the unwelcome visitors get what they’re looking for—which, for some unknown reason, is Elena.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:14 -0400)

Unsettled by her pregnancy, werewolf Elena Michaels is given the task of retrieving a stolen letter allegedly written by Jack the Ripper, but she soon discovers that the letter contains a portal to Victorian London's underworld, allowing the vicious killer access to the twenty-first century, where he and a pair of zombie thugs are searching for Elena.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,769,830 books! | Top bar: Always visible