Anne of the Island by L. M. Montgomery

Anne of the Island (1915)

by L. M. Montgomery

Series: Anne of Green Gables (3)

Recently added byBethanyvThompson, BJoybooks, mathsie, thibdeb, mac1lady, private library, BetteBright, MadiBour

Bitter must be mixed with sweet as life goes on, and goes on changing, but in going on for Anne, "with the blowing of the west wind old dreams returned," making it all worth it. A number of points made me sigh, as well as laugh; I literally laughed aloud during Anne's First Proposal. Goodness, Montgomery was a genius. ( )
  NadineC.Keels | Apr 10, 2014 |
Some laugh out loud moments, some moments were it seemed a little to happy-go-lucky. Over all, fairly successful for a third book in a series.

I think what knocked that fourth star off for me was the chick flick ending sort of thing. I knew it was coming, but it just didn't end the story in a very creative way. Other then that this book was rather timely for me, as I am just completing my senior year of university. Going to a conservative Christian University I could still relate to it pretty well, especially the idea of all your friends getting married off and having babies and such. I think the first book will always be my favorite though. ( )
  Zabeth | Dec 9, 2013 |
By this, the third book of the series, Anne is a young woman and after working for a couple of years as a teacher, she has saved enough money to go to University in Nova Scotia. Some of her friends are also enrolling at Redmond, and she makes new friends as well. By the second year, tired of boarding houses, there are four girls who decided to rent their own house and together with the elderly Aunt Jimsie, as a chaperone, they set up house for the remaining three years. Friday nights are designated as the evening for receiving gentlemen callers and these attractive girls have plenty of those. Gilbert Blythe is a regular and it is very obvious to everyone that he has deep feelings for Anne. Anne who is very fond of her childhood chum, dreads having to hurt him,

As Anne leaves girlhood behind and matures into a young woman, there is little trace of the orphan girl that was. Anne has become serene, sensible and very steady in purpose. In one area however, she seems to lag behind her friends and as she attends one wedding after another, she appears to not be able to see the love that is right in front of her, instead she is still holding out for that elusive Prince Charming that she imagined as a young girl. It takes a dark time and an almost tragedy for Anne to be able to understand where her heart is leading her.

I am loving my re-reading of this series, and have come to love Anne as much now as I did when a girl. ( )
1 vote DeltaQueen50 | Sep 25, 2013 |
It took me quite a long time to read this book, even though it's reasonably short. I think that's because I wasn't enjoying it as much as I thought I would. I really loved the first two books in the series, but this one sort of fell flat for me.
It is beautifully written, but I was getting bored of all the descriptions and stuff when the story was going nowhere. I also found a couple of the characters really annoying (Especially Phil, ugh). ( )
  26kathryn | Jun 12, 2013 |
L.M. Montgomery's irrepressible red-headed heroine, Anne Shirley - she of the high ideals, fiery temper, and elfin beauty - returns in this third volume devoted to her adventures, first published in 1915, and following upon the initial Anne of Green Gables (1908), and its first sequel, Anne of Avonlea (1909). Picking up one week after the events of the preceding book, Anne of the Island is the story of Anne's four years at Redmond College, and follows her as she leaves the island - Prince Edward Island, that is - for the fictional town of Kingsport, Nova Scotia. Here she plunges into the labor and leisure of the college experience - her studies, in which (predictably) she excels in English; her friends, both old and new; her living situation, first in a boarding house, and then in the delightful Patty's Place; and finally, her first serious "beaus" (and proposals!) - emerging, in the end, transformed from girl to woman.

I have always loved this book, enjoying everything from the love-triangle involving Anne, Gilbert Blythe and Royal Gardner, to the many little holiday and summer interludes, in which Anne returns to Avonlea, and to her circle of family and friends at Green Gables. The doings of those four college girls - Priscilla Grant and Stella Maynard, two of Anne's old school chums from Queens; Philippa Gordon, a flighty but lovable rich girl whom the others meet for the first time at Redmond; and Anne herself - who take up residence together, make for an engaging story (I particularly adore the three cats!), and I cannot think of Patty's Place without wishing that I too had had the experience of living in such a house, while in college!

Of course, this being L.M. Montgomery, it isn't all sweetness and light, and the early death of Ruby Gillis - one of Anne's grade-school chums - from consumption, provides a poignant counter-balance to the more carefree aspects of the story. While there's no doubt that this particular part of the novel functions as a cautionary tale - so much so, that a number of other reviewers have found it offensively preachy - I have always been moved by Anne's genuine struggle, in her discussion with Ruby, to articulate her own inchoate beliefs about the metaphysical. This balancing of the inner and outer life - of the everyday and the eternal - is something I always find particularly well done, in Montgomery's work, and in her characters.

All in all, Anne of the Island was as delightful on this reread (hard to say how many times it's been), as the first time I encountered it! I think I may reread the next "Anne" book - Anne of Windy Poplars - sooner, rather than later. ( )
1 vote AbigailAdams26 | May 27, 2013 |

L. M. Montgomeryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kalima, ToiniTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Raudman, ReneeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
All precious things discovered late
To those that seek them issue forth,
For Love in sequel works with Fate,
And draws the veil from hidden worth.
- Tennyson
To all the girls all over the world
who have 'wanted more' about Anne
"Harvest is ended and summer is gone," quoted Anne Shirley, gazing across the shorn fields dreamily.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553213172, Mass Market Paperback)

New adventures lie ahead as Anne Shirley packs  her bags, waves good-bye to childhood, and heads for  Redmond College. With old friend Prissy Grant  waiting in the bustling city of Kingsport and  frivolous new pal Philippa Gordon at her side, Anne tucks  her memories of rural Avonlea away and discovers  life on her own terms, filled with  surprises...including a marriage proposal from the worst fellow  imaginable, the sale of her very first story, and a  tragedy that teaches her a painful lesson. But  tears turn to laughter when Anne and her friends move  into an old cottage and an ornery black cat steals  her heart. Little does Anne know that handsome  Gilbert Blythe wants to win her heart, too. Suddenly  Anne must decide if she's ready for love...

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:41:20 -0400)

Continues the adventures of Anne Shirley and her friends at college.

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,544,132 books! | Top bar: Always visible