Anne of the Island by L. M. Montgomery

Anne of the Island (1915)

by L. M. Montgomery

Series: Anne of Green Gables (3)

Bright Island by Mabel Robinson (Anonymous user)

Like a breeze of fresh air, going back to the world of Avonlea and the characters of Anne, Gilbert, Diana, and their friends and family gives me the most refreshing feeling. And in this one we get to see Anne and Gilbert's relationship change, though not without some major bumps in the road. Anne's life as a college student at Redmond with her friends old and new becomes a time for her to learn many lessons about life. A most satisfying read that I would recommend to anyone! ( )
  debs4jc | Jun 29, 2015 |
I never read the Anne books before, and I'm loving them! I'm listening on Audible and love the narration. ( )
  sandra.k.heinzman | Apr 2, 2015 |
a continuation of Anne. This is the volume where Anne falls in love with Gilbert Blythe.
  RachelHollingsworth | Feb 27, 2015 |
[Re-read 2013]

Still one of my favorites of the Anne series. I especially love Anne's growth here, learning to understand her own romantic notions. And oh how I wish I could spend a week (or a year) living with the chums in Patty's Place. ( )
  devafagan | Jan 2, 2015 |
Would that I had been about 16 when I read this.
This is Anne of Green Gables growing up, finding her place in the world, establishing great girlfriends, finding herself in the midst of studies, coming to terms with the meaning of death and life, understanding that friends can grow up and away, and of course, discovering love.

Oh, would that I had been 16 when I turned the pages of these books! This is meant for someone who is soul-searching, who is a young adult wondering if college is all that people say it is, who is hoping to find love. Not just love, but love.

I would have given it 4 stars if the romance was a little more realistic with more depth. Why were they so compatible? It's not really explained. You hardly see them talking - mostly Anne just going on one of her poetic spiels (lovely as they are, they do not showcase romantic love). And goodness, Roy is just too annoyingly perfect to even like his presence in the book. He's too much of a plot device and not enough of a character.

I really, really enjoyed Phil because she was silly and vapid-sounding, but she wasn't. Not at all. And I love that characters (and people, ultimately) are not all that they seem on the surface. It is depth and layers and it is beautiful.

I do have some quibbles with book - I am sometimes annoyed at the many monologues that Anne gets. What person who tolerate someone stream-of-conscience-ing them for so long as if who she was talking to didn't matter? Or how sometimes the book sounds very rude. For example, when Montgomery always makes the reference that Charlie was a Sloane, and everyone knows what Sloane's are like. Maybe it's because it's such an old book and a small town and that's what it's like, but for me (suburb, city girl in the 21st century), it completely rude and unfair.

But ultimately, there is a reason Anne is a classic. Beautiful.

3.5 stars. Oh, how I wish I were 16.

I realized I skipped book 2, and apparently that's where the romance builds between Anne and Gilbert, so there's that. ( )
  NineLarks | Sep 15, 2014 |

L. M. Montgomeryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Heesen, MarthaTranslatormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kalima, ToiniTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Raudman, ReneeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
All precious things discovered late
To those that seek them issue forth,
For Love in sequel works with Fate,
And draws the veil from hidden worth.
- Tennyson
To all the girls all over the world
who have 'wanted more' about Anne
"Harvest is ended and summer is gone," quoted Anne Shirley, gazing across the shorn fields dreamily.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553213172, Mass Market Paperback)

New adventures lie ahead as Anne Shirley packs  her bags, waves good-bye to childhood, and heads for  Redmond College. With old friend Prissy Grant  waiting in the bustling city of Kingsport and  frivolous new pal Philippa Gordon at her side, Anne tucks  her memories of rural Avonlea away and discovers  life on her own terms, filled with  surprises...including a marriage proposal from the worst fellow  imaginable, the sale of her very first story, and a  tragedy that teaches her a painful lesson. But  tears turn to laughter when Anne and her friends move  into an old cottage and an ornery black cat steals  her heart. Little does Anne know that handsome  Gilbert Blythe wants to win her heart, too. Suddenly  Anne must decide if she's ready for love...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:34 -0400)

Continues the adventures of Anne Shirley and her friends at college.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,962,800 books! | Top bar: Always visible