Anne of the Island by L. M. Montgomery

Anne of the Island (1915)

by L. M. Montgomery

Series: Anne of Green Gables (3), Anne of Green Gables (5)

Bright Island by Mabel Robinson (Anonymous user)

Would that I had been about 16 when I read this.
This is Anne of Green Gables growing up, finding her place in the world, establishing great girlfriends, finding herself in the midst of studies, coming to terms with the meaning of death and life, understanding that friends can grow up and away, and of course, discovering love.

Oh, would that I had been 16 when I turned the pages of these books! This is meant for someone who is soul-searching, who is a young adult wondering if college is all that people say it is, who is hoping to find love. Not just love, but love.

I would have given it 4 stars if the romance was a little more realistic with more depth. Why were they so compatible? It's not really explained. You hardly see them talking - mostly Anne just going on one of her poetic spiels (lovely as they are, they do not showcase romantic love). And goodness, Roy is just too annoyingly perfect to even like his presence in the book. He's too much of a plot device and not enough of a character.

I really, really enjoyed Phil because she was silly and vapid-sounding, but she wasn't. Not at all. And I love that characters (and people, ultimately) are not all that they seem on the surface. It is depth and layers and it is beautiful.

I do have some quibbles with book - I am sometimes annoyed at the many monologues that Anne gets. What person who tolerate someone stream-of-conscience-ing them for so long as if who she was talking to didn't matter? Or how sometimes the book sounds very rude. For example, when Montgomery always makes the reference that Charlie was a Sloane, and everyone knows what Sloane's are like. Maybe it's because it's such an old book and a small town and that's what it's like, but for me (suburb, city girl in the 21st century), it completely rude and unfair.

But ultimately, there is a reason Anne is a classic. Beautiful.

3.5 stars. Oh, how I wish I were 16.

-note-
I realized I skipped book 2, and apparently that's where the romance builds between Anne and Gilbert, so there's that. ( )
  NineLarks | Sep 15, 2014 |
Read my full review here.

It’s no surprise that I love this book since all of Anne’s stories so far have been charming and funny and magical. There’s nothing like it, and the series will always hold a special place in my heart.

In Anne of Avonlea we get to see Anne mature, and in this book she matures even more. Sure, she’s still imaginative and fanciful and often-times immature, but those instances became fewer as Anne became refined. Obtaining a B.A. was a dream of her’s and I think her four years at college have helped push her into adulthood. She’s worked hard, lived away from home, and visited the place she was born.

Something so great about this book is that while Gilbert isn’t a huge presence physically, he does tend to be on Anne’s mind. The two are obviously very close, but Anne is terrified of growing up and everything changing - something that is quite relatable to everyone - so she’s blind to her true feelings. I do think she knew deep down she’s in love with him, but she was scared and so was like in denial.

But because of this again we see Anne grow over the course of the novel, and the moment when they finally get together is very sweet. I can’t wait to read the next book so I can see them happy together.

I would be remiss if I didn’t say, again, that Montgomery is so good at describing things. And she certainly knows how to create a huge cast of unique and interesting characters. She’s such a talent and her writing is a joy to read.

Overall, Anne of the Island is a wonderful book. ( )
  CaitlinAC | Aug 10, 2014 |
Bitter must be mixed with sweet as life goes on, and goes on changing, but in going on for Anne, "with the blowing of the west wind old dreams returned," making it all worth it. A number of points made me sigh, as well as laugh; I literally laughed aloud during Anne's First Proposal. Goodness, Montgomery was a genius. ( )
  NadineC.Keels | Apr 10, 2014 |
Some laugh out loud moments, some moments were it seemed a little too happy-go-lucky. Over all, fairly successful for a third book in a series.

I think what knocked that fourth star off for me was the chick flick ending sort of thing. I knew it was coming, but it just didn't end the story in a very creative way. Other then that this book was rather timely for me, as I am just completing my senior year of university. Going to a conservative Christian University I could still relate to it pretty well, especially the idea of all your friends getting married off and having babies and such. I think the first book will always be my favorite though. ( )
  KingdomOfOdd | Dec 9, 2013 |
By this, the third book of the series, Anne is a young woman and after working for a couple of years as a teacher, she has saved enough money to go to University in Nova Scotia. Some of her friends are also enrolling at Redmond, and she makes new friends as well. By the second year, tired of boarding houses, there are four girls who decided to rent their own house and together with the elderly Aunt Jimsie, as a chaperone, they set up house for the remaining three years. Friday nights are designated as the evening for receiving gentlemen callers and these attractive girls have plenty of those. Gilbert Blythe is a regular and it is very obvious to everyone that he has deep feelings for Anne. Anne who is very fond of her childhood chum, dreads having to hurt him,

As Anne leaves girlhood behind and matures into a young woman, there is little trace of the orphan girl that was. Anne has become serene, sensible and very steady in purpose. In one area however, she seems to lag behind her friends and as she attends one wedding after another, she appears to not be able to see the love that is right in front of her, instead she is still holding out for that elusive Prince Charming that she imagined as a young girl. It takes a dark time and an almost tragedy for Anne to be able to understand where her heart is leading her.

I am loving my re-reading of this series, and have come to love Anne as much now as I did when a girl. ( )
1 vote DeltaQueen50 | Sep 25, 2013 |

L. M. Montgomeryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Heesen, MarthaTranslatormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kalima, ToiniTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Raudman, ReneeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
All precious things discovered late
To those that seek them issue forth,
For Love in sequel works with Fate,
And draws the veil from hidden worth.
- Tennyson
To all the girls all over the world
who have 'wanted more' about Anne
"Harvest is ended and summer is gone," quoted Anne Shirley, gazing across the shorn fields dreamily.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553213172, Mass Market Paperback)

New adventures lie ahead as Anne Shirley packs  her bags, waves good-bye to childhood, and heads for  Redmond College. With old friend Prissy Grant  waiting in the bustling city of Kingsport and  frivolous new pal Philippa Gordon at her side, Anne tucks  her memories of rural Avonlea away and discovers  life on her own terms, filled with  surprises...including a marriage proposal from the worst fellow  imaginable, the sale of her very first story, and a  tragedy that teaches her a painful lesson. But  tears turn to laughter when Anne and her friends move  into an old cottage and an ornery black cat steals  her heart. Little does Anne know that handsome  Gilbert Blythe wants to win her heart, too. Suddenly  Anne must decide if she's ready for love...

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:41:20 -0400)

Continues the adventures of Anne Shirley and her friends at college.

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,804,690 books! | Top bar: Always visible