Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Carved in Bone: A Body Farm Novel (Body Farm…

Carved in Bone: A Body Farm Novel (Body Farm Novels) (2006)

by Jefferson Bass

Series: Body Farm (1)

Recently added bymmitchell262, readingover50, nsc1234, fleaBe, private library, slk33, DeBruyn, gwmcm911, acinstone

English (49)  Dutch (1)  All languages (50)
Interesting book, good forensic details. Kept me guessing until the end. ( )
  readingover50 | Jun 11, 2019 |
Body Farm. Readers who might have dabbled in the Kay Scarpetta series will recall references to the place. This book has shown up in my Goodreads recommendations for a while now, so I thought I'd give it a shot. Whatever my expectations were, this book ended up being a HUGE let down.

The first few pages draw you in, I must admit. The concept of Body Farm itself has a morbid but nonetheless intriguing appeal to it, and the first few pages of the book live up to it. Renowned forensic anthropologist Bill Brockton is requested by the County Sheriff's office to look at some remains they've found in a cave. The remains turn out to be 30 years old, and well-preserved, and it might just be possible to catch the killer after all this time. Adding to this premise are some wonderful insights into the world of forensic anthropology.

But the book goes only downhill from here. The protagonist is a middle-aged white man who goes into unnecessary, irrelevant, and completely sexist descriptions about the women around him. He spares no female character in the book- his undergraduate students, his grad student, a colleague, or women he refers to in conversation with the male characters. All of it is INAPPROPRIATE, and while it happens in real life, made me wonder how the editors condoned it.

Then there's the plot itself- watered down with so many situations that are over-the-top and completely irrelevant to the central mystery. I skimmed through a lot of the pages, and realized it made no difference to the reveal at the end. You can predict who the killer is and surmise the situations leading to the murder pretty early in the book, but boy this book took FOREVER to get to the conclusion.

If this book pops up in your Goodreads recommendations, as it did in mine, I'd say scroll right past it. There are far better mysteries/crime procedurals out there. ( )
  AceFeminist | Dec 7, 2018 |
Enjoyable read. A bit rough in places, but the dialogue between the characters is very well done. There was one particular "scene" where I wondered, "really, was that necessary to put that in there?" Not quite a full gratuitous sex-scene, but still unnecessary to the story. ( )
  snotbottom | Sep 19, 2018 |
A body farm novel
  jhawn | Jul 31, 2017 |
Great forensic fiction in the tradition of Patricia Cornwell and Kathy Reichs, although better in my opinion. The authors have created a down-to-earth and sympathetic character in Dr. Bill Brockton, have put him in a fascinating setting and surrounded him with interesting supporting characters. I especially enjoyed the wild "mountain man" Waylon, and hope he and Jim O'Conner appear in subsequent novels. The novel was a perfect blend of character study, action, suspense, with a little courtroom drama, and realistic forensic details. I'll definitely be reading his other books. ( )
  dorie.craig | Jun 22, 2017 |

Jefferson Bassprimary authorall editionscalculated
Chard, JohnCover photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lay, TomCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lovedog StudioDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the faculty, staff, and graduate students of the University of Tennessee's Anthropology Department, who made the Body Farm possible ... and to Patricia Cornwell, who made it famous
Prologue

I picked up the hunting knife with my left hand and tested its heft, then shifted it to my right hand to compare.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0060759828, Mass Market Paperback)

Renowned anthropologist Dr. Bill Brockton has spent his career surrounded by death at the Body Farm. Now he's being called upon to help solve a baffling puzzle in a remote mountain community. The mummified corpse of a young woman dead for thirty years has been discovered in a cave, the body bizarrely preserved and transformed by the environment's unique chemistry. But Brockton's investigation is threatening to open old wounds among an insular people who won't forget or forgive. And a long-buried secret prematurely exposed could inflame Brockton's own guilt—and the dangerous hostility of bitter enemies determined to see him fail . . . by any means necessary.

With Fascinating Insider Information on the Body Farm!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:18 -0400)

There is a patch of ground in Tennessee dedicated to the science of death, where human remains lie exposed to be studied for their secrets. The real-life scientist who founded the "Body Farm" has broken cold cases and revolutionized forensics . . . and now he spins an astonishing tale inspired by his own experiences. Renowned anthropologist Dr. Bill Brockton has spent his career surrounded by death at the Body Farm. Now he's being called upon to help solve a baffling puzzle in a remote mountain community. The mummified corpse of a young woman dead for thirty years has been discovered in a cave, the body bizarrely preserved and transformed by the environment's unique chemistry. But Brockton's investigation is threatening to open old wounds among an insular people who won't forget or forgive. And a long-buried secret prematurely exposed could inflame Brockton's own guilt--and the dangerous hostility of bitter enemies determined to see him fail . . . by any means necessary. With Fascinating Insider Information on the Body Farm!… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,462,753 books! | Top bar: Always visible