Dagen van verlating by Elena Ferrante

Dagen van verlating (edition 2003)

by Elena Ferrante

Member:gust
Title:Dagen van verlating
Authors:Elena Ferrante
Info:Amsterdam Wereldbibliotheek cop. 2003
Tags:literatuur, roman, italië, Liv, 19

The Days of Abandonment by Elena Ferrante

Recently added byPolpofemo, casafallai, AnjaMeta, Firiel, private library, tiffanygrace11, xandra_lt, olosta

English (29)  Dutch (3)  Italian (1)  Hungarian (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (35)
Damn, this book is intense! This is an emotional ride, it is like inhabiting the soul of someone who is collapsing. I feel worn out just thinking about this book. I get that a book like this is not how some people like to get down when they are reading something...reading this book is not fun, it's an experience.

But, if reading, on a basic level, is about being immersed in another's person's world, thoughts, energy, and way of being and believing, than this book does everything you want when you choose to read as a way of spending your time. It's awesome. ( )
  barnettie | Feb 3, 2019 |
Yes, this was a difficult book to read in that I was always cringing/waiting for the worst to happen. I had to put it down every once in a while. However I appreciate this character with her angry, self-centered thoughts and impulsive actions--we all have them. I could imagine reaching a similar brink to the one that Olga's anguish, obsessive thoughts and actions take her to after her husband leaves without warning for a younger woman. I'd certainly rather read about someone else going crazy than experience it personally, but it made me think that sometimes losing control and letting out the rage (to a LIMITED extent of course) may be a good thing. Maybe it was the way for Olga to survive--not that she thought that out rationally. I don't know. Olga certainly was a refreshing change from the trope of wronged-woman suffering in silence and dignity and triumphing in the end.

One of the supporting characters I really got a kick out of was Olga's daughter. She was her sensible mini-me. ( )
  KarenJH | Feb 1, 2019 |
Even though I had just a lukewarm experience reading Ferrante’s My Brilliant Friend / Neapolitan series, I thought I would give the author another chance to “Wow” me. Didn’t happen. Instead, this book left me wishing I had never, ever picked up a Ferrante novel, or at least, not this one. Her books – the ones I have read, which now total 5 – are filled with self-absorbed, angry people who feel that someone else (never them) is responsible for their life being “in the crapper”. Ferrante wraps these super annoying, incompetent characters in self-righteous shrouds and has them engage in destructive behaviours that affect the very people they are supposed to love and support, like their own children. Yes, Ferrante is a skilled writer but her subject matter is an exercise in destructive, over the top drama-filled navel gazing that is just tiresome reading. As if thoroughly draining her characters isn’t enough, Ferrante has to drain her readers too.

Overall, this has to be the most annoying story I have ever read. If you have never read Ferrante’s works and are wondering if her stories might appeal to you, I would recommend skim reading the first 50 pages of this one. I have noticed that Ferrante's stories all appear to follow the same formula writing style, characterizations and themes. As for me, I am finished with Ferrante’s books. I am done. ( )
  lkernagh | Dec 6, 2018 |
This treads some of the ground Ferrante later retreads in the Neapolitan series. It's pretty uncompromising, brutal, unpleasant and shocking as Olga breaks down after her husband leaves her and their children. But it also feels less accomplished than the later books, a bit too over the top in places and less believable. It's still good, but she kept getting better, so reading the earlier books afterwards feels a little disappointing. ( )
  AlisonSakai | Oct 16, 2018 |
L'autrice riesce a trasformare il lettore in un faro che illumina la vita di Olga in un periodo difficile che non può nemmeno dirsi tragico per la sua banalità. Ho fatto fatica a interrompere la lettura ogni volta in cui la vita faceva capolino (bisogni fisiologici, lavoro, esigenze di familiari) e, durante le pause, la presenza di Olga continuava ad accompagnarmi, con il suo dolore sordo in bilico tra normalità e follia. Lo spettro di un'escandescenza in cui anch'io, perché no, avrei potuto o potrei un giorno ritrovarmi. ( )
  Eva_Filoramo | May 3, 2018 |
Though it's occasionally frustrating to watch Olga hit all the familar marks (one can practically read the signposts: anger, denial, bargaining, depression, acceptance), we still root for her, for her damaged kids, even for the next imperfect man waiting for her attentions.

Smoothly translated by New Yorker editor Goldstein, this intelligent and darkly comic novel [...] conveys the resilience of a complex woman.
added by ScattershotSteph | editPublishers Weekly (Jul 11, 2005)

Elena Ferranteprimary authorall editionscalculated
Goldstein, AnnTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Laake, Marieke vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
One April afternoon, right after lunch, my husband announced that he wanted to leave me.
"Now I know what an absence of sense is and what happens if you manage to get back to the surface from it. You, you don't know. At most you glanced down, you got frightened, and you plugged up the hole with Carla's body."

Doggone! Husband gone;
But not dead, just strayed and lost;
Getting used to it.
(pickupsticks)

Once an aspiring writer, Olga traded literary ambition for marriage and motherhood; when Mario dumps her after 15 years, she is utterly unprepared. Though she tells herself that she is a competent woman, nothing like the poverella (poor abandoned wife) that mothers whispered about in her childhood, Olga falls completely apart. Routine chores overwhelm her; she neglects her appearance and forgets her manners; she throws herself at the older musician downstairs; she sees the poverella's ghost. After months of self-pity, anger, doubt, fury, desperation and near madness, her acknowledgments of weaknesses in the marriage feel as earned as they are unsurprising.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,322,376 books! | Top bar: Always visible