I Giorni Dell'abbandono by Elena Ferrante

I Giorni Dell'abbandono (edition 2002)

by Elena Ferrante

Member:lucacan
Title:I Giorni Dell'abbandono
Authors:Elena Ferrante
Info:Edizioni E/O (2002), Hardcover
Collections:Your library, To read

The Days of Abandonment by Elena Ferrante

English (14)  Dutch (2)  Italian (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (18)
not my cup of tea 2 hrs into the book on tape just feels like a very long lamentation. very realistic but too depressing to read for me. ( )
  kakadoo202 | Jun 12, 2016 |
I find it difficult to suss out my feelings on this book. Elena Ferrante's writing deserves a 4 or 5 star review. She paints an aggravated view of an "abandoned" woman and the pain and torment that begins to unravel her life - not just how to cope with the sudden change in her family, but her very existence. I truly felt the struggle come alive through the words on the page.

However, much of the middle seemed to drag for me. There was too much (in my mind) repetition. Although much shorter than My Brilliant Friend, I found it a harder book to focus on. Perhaps much of this is on purpose, as a book about a crisis of abandonment should not necessarily be a pleasant read.

For someone more drawn to the subject matter, this is probably at least a 4 star book. ( )
  thomnottom | Apr 21, 2016 |
What an awful book this is! One long, illogical rant from beginning to end. Did Ferrante expect the reader to feel an sympathy for the rejected Olga? There was certainly potential for that but the way she subsequently neglects her children and dying dog, seemingly forgetting about them and then simply washing the make-up off her daughter’s face seems to be more excerpts from a nightmare.

And the translation or the original seems to lack coherence, the result of more than just the run-on sentences such as ‘Slowly the voice of Ilaria returned, calling me, immediately afterward Gianni’s joined it’ as there are ones that just don’t make sense like this one: ‘When my eyes dried and the last sobs died in my breast, I realized that Mario had become again the good man he had perhaps always been, I no longer loved him’.

The book as a whole just seems to be one loud, repetitive, self-absorbed, negligent outpouring, offering the reader ‘sound and fury but signifying nothing’. How can interest be sustained in someone who says ‘The dog had fallen through a hole in the net of events. We leave so many of them, lacerations of negligence, when we put together cause and effect. The essential thing was that the string, the weave that now supported me, should hold’.

No doubt some abandoned women would go through the phases Olga goes through and perhaps a psychologist might be inclined to give this to a patient suffering from separation so that she can see her reactions are normal but for the average reader this book has very little to offer. ( )
  evening | Apr 2, 2016 |
One of the more interesting books I've read recently - meant in a nice way! Ferrante describes one woman's reaction to being suddenly dumped by her husband of 15 years. Sure, some of the episodes are quite bizarre, but in that circumstance I can imagine people behaving in a highly unusual manner. At times, however, I found her behaviour a little too strange to be able to relate to, even given the personally stressful situation. ( )
  oldblack | Jan 28, 2016 |
I am giving this 5 stars, because the writer described the emotional stage I had when my last relationship ended. That sense of darkness and pain. When the person that knows you best leaves you I actually felt that at my core I wasn't lovable or even likeable. It is a terrible lonely dark place to be. That is the place the main character is in this book. Like me, it takes time and tears to re invent yourself. I did as she does but it is not a easy or straight path. This is beautifully written. ( )
  michaelbartley | Aug 7, 2015 |

Elena Ferranteprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Goldstein, AnnTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
One April afternoon, right after lunch, my husband announced that he wanted to leave me.

Doggone! Husband gone;
But not dead, just strayed and lost;
Getting used to it.
(pickupsticks)

Once an aspiring writer, Olga traded literary ambition for marriage and motherhood; when Mario dumps her after 15 years, she is utterly unprepared. Though she tells herself that she is a competent woman, nothing like the poverella (poor abandoned wife) that mothers whispered about in her childhood, Olga falls completely apart. Routine chores overwhelm her; she neglects her appearance and forgets her manners; she throws herself at the older musician downstairs; she sees the poverella's ghost. After months of self-pity, anger, doubt, fury, desperation and near madness, her acknowledgments of weaknesses in the marriage feel as earned as they are unsurprising.… (more)

158 wanted5 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,772,216 books! | Top bar: Always visible