The Girls: A Novel by Lori Lansens

The Girls: A Novel (original 2005; edition 2007)

by Lori Lansens

Member:stephaniesmithrn
Title:The Girls: A Novel
Authors:Lori Lansens
Info:Back Bay Books (2007), Paperback, 368 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:2012

The Girls by Lori Lansens (2005)

English (117)  Dutch (3)  Japanese (1)  French (1)  All languages (122)
Read this 2 yrs ago!
I'd had it for ages, read the blurb and started to read.
Loved it ! About a set of cranio-pagus ( joined at the head ) twins called Rose and Ruby.
Rose writes most of their story first then Ruby gradually takes over as Rose' s health deteriorate s.
Loved their Aunt Lovey . So practical and strong. Wish
I either knew her or was her.
Got me through a really traumatic time... and after having rewritten this review from my notes think
I'm going to try and get it again. ( )
  RuthieD | Jul 9, 2014 |
This one seems interesting. It's about twin sisters who are conjoined at the head. The reviews aren't great, but I would definitely like to see where the story goes.
  Emelymac | Jan 15, 2014 |
It took me a long time to read this novel. I was more than a bit skitterish getting into it, which says much about its power. I came to feel as though I really knew and cared about these two women, conjoined (crainiopagus) twins Rose and Ruby. Each was vividly drawn, along with those who peopled their world. I came to the end of the novel with tremendous sadness, feeling as though ending it deprived me of two dear friends. It's an excellent and worthwhile work of fiction. ( )
  CandaceVan | Apr 16, 2013 |
Half friendship story, half family drama--because in this case it's the friendship and family dynamic between two sisters, who happen to be conjoined twins. Their respective personalities show through their writings (it's easy to tell, not just through the font changes, which character is talking at any point), and you really root for things to work out well for them. Heartfelt drama without being melodramatic. ( )
  librarybrandy | Mar 31, 2013 |
The idea of a novel based on craniophagus twins (conjoined twins connected at the head) sounded fascinating. Fortunately, the book was as good as the idea of this story. Rose and Ruby are the twin sisters who narrate this story. Their combined tale is warm and realistic with its focus being love and respect for themselves and each other and living as normal a life as possible despite their situation. Somehow, I could see this as being one of those Oprah picks from her former book club. Anyway, the strength of the story comes from the fact that it shows the two girls so different that, in reading this book, one forgets at times that they are conjoined at all. ( )
  SqueakyChu | Dec 15, 2012 |
“The Girls” glides by like a watercolor dream, finding its poetry in dailiness and the universalities of human desire and connection...

For my mother and father
I have never looked into my sister's eyes.

Rarely has the experience of being a sister been so poignantly and memorably captured as in Lori Lansens's triumphant novel. The Girls celebrates life's fundamental joys and trials as it presents Rose and Ruby, sisters destined to live inseparably but blessed with distinct sensibilities that enrich and complicate their shared experiences-of growing up, of finding their way in the world, of saying good-bye.Readers who encounter the girls will find it hard to resist falling under their spell.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:27:44 -0400)

One of the world's oldest living craniopagus conjoined twins at the approach of her thirtieth birthday, bookish Rose Darlen attempts to pen her autobiography while remembering the joys and challenges of her life with sister Ruby, with whom she shares friendships in their small hometown.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,359,915 books! | Top bar: Always visible