The Girls: A Novel by Lori Lansens

The Girls: A Novel (original 2005; edition 2007)

by Lori Lansens

Member:stephaniesmithrn
Title:The Girls: A Novel
Authors:Lori Lansens
Info:Back Bay Books (2007), Paperback, 368 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:2012

The Girls by Lori Lansens (2005)

English (124)  Dutch (3)  Japanese (1)  French (1)  All languages (129)
A very good book about conjoined twins and the competing desire for independence and togetherness all at once. ( )
  BookConcierge | Feb 16, 2016 |
Touching, charming, surprising. Fascinating two-sister narrative. Each page made me love and understand the characters more.

P.S. It took me longer to read this than usual, but not because of the book. Each time it was a joy to return to it and to the characters. ( )
  Connie-D | Jan 17, 2016 |
Ruby and Rose Darlen were born to an unwed teenaged mother in Ontario and quickly abandoned by the young woman when she sees the twin girls are conjoined twins. The infants are joined at the side of the head and after batteries of medical testing it is decided that the twins share important arteries in their separate brains and must therefore never be separated. A compassionate nurse who assisted with the delivery adopts the girls as her own and Ruby and Rose go to live with Aunt Lovey and Uncle Stash on a farm in the small town of Leaford. Although it was believed that the girls would never walk, Rose the larger and stronger of the two learns to carry her smaller sister on her hip and the two manage quite well. Now at age 29 Rose and Ruby have been given some life altering news from their doctor and Rose is determined to write the autobiography of herself and her beloved sister.

Rose's writing reveals the girls' lives at school, with neighbors, the community and the constant presence of one another. Many of the stories are charmingly humorous while others are touching and at times it is easy for the reader to forget that these girls are conjoined because they are so different. Ruby writes a few of the chapters although she doesn't think anyone will ever want to read their story. I truly enjoyed the author's writing and I really liked the girls. ( )
  Ellen_R | Jan 15, 2016 |
This book captured me at the beginning: a conjoined twin writing her autobiography. Then the other twin chimes in - can you write an autobiography of yourself, leaving out your other, vital, half? So both girls are writing their autobiographies as they get close to being the oldest conjoined twins. The book is interesting, but dragged on forever. It took me a long time to finish, and I’m a quick reader. I got bored and wanted to stop reading about a third of the way in, but there was some suspense there that made me want to find out what happened. The ending didn’t make the whole experience of reading the book worth it. Interesting concept, but not that well executed. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Dec 10, 2015 |
story of 4 elderly Jewish sisters in failing health in Miami beach. Quick read ( )
  nancynova | Sep 12, 2015 |
“The Girls” glides by like a watercolor dream, finding its poetry in dailiness and the universalities of human desire and connection...

For my mother and father
I have never looked into my sister's eyes.

Rarely has the experience of being a sister been so poignantly and memorably captured as in Lori Lansens's triumphant novel. The Girls celebrates life's fundamental joys and trials as it presents Rose and Ruby, sisters destined to live inseparably but blessed with distinct sensibilities that enrich and complicate their shared experiences-of growing up, of finding their way in the world, of saying good-bye.Readers who encounter the girls will find it hard to resist falling under their spell.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:30 -0400)

One of the world's oldest living craniopagus conjoined twins at the approach of her thirtieth birthday, bookish Rose Darlen attempts to pen her autobiography while remembering the joys and challenges of her life with sister Ruby, with whom she shares friendships in their small hometown.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,785,695 books! | Top bar: Always visible