The Girls: A Novel by Lori Lansens

The Girls: A Novel (original 2005; edition 2007)

by Lori Lansens

Member:stephaniesmithrn
Title:The Girls: A Novel
Authors:Lori Lansens
Info:Back Bay Books (2007), Paperback, 368 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:2012

The Girls by Lori Lansens (2005)

English (119)  Dutch (3)  Japanese (1)  French (1)  All languages (124)
i loved this book from the first paragraph.

i picked it up at the library because it was on a display entitlted "books with young protagonists written for adults" along with to kill a mockingbird and a curious incident of the dog in the nighttime...

anyway, this book is a fictional autobiography written by conjoined twins, rose and ruby. the characters were quite beautiful and i loved the the different narrartive styles of each twin.

the book was kind of typical for the coming of age, finding the meaning of life genre, but i think the fact that the characters were not typical kept it interesting.

klburnside | Aug 11, 2015 |
An interesting story from the perspective of conjoined twins - but more focused on relationships and challenges. A little long but worth the read. ( )
  sbenne3 | Jul 24, 2015 |
This completes my reading of Ms. Lansens books to date. I hope she has another one on the way soon. Rose and Ruby are conjoined twins born in Leaford, Ontario during “the tornado”. Their young unwed mother runs from the hospital and they are adopted by Aunt Lovey (the nurse who helped deliver them) and Uncle Stash (her down to earth slavic husband). Rose has always wanted to be a writer and decides that an autobiography of the sisters remarkable lives would be a good book. Rose chimes in that it cannot be an autobiography without her input … and this is the story. Told primarily from Rose’s point of view with snippets contributed by Ruby. Although (and I hesitate to even write this) it is my least favourite of Ms. Lansens books, it is definitely an excellent read and one I would recommend highly. ( )
  ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |
I loved this novel, written as the autobiography of Rose Darlen, a 29-year-old Canadian woman who was born in a small Ontario town (just across the border from Detroit) during a tornado, inoperably joined to the head of her twin, Ruby. Ruby writes some chapters, too. The girls' situation, as their adoptive mother Aunt Lovey terms it, is, indeed, rare and amazing and certainly very challenging. But not tragic. Not really. Rose and Ruby live lives that are, in many ways, full -- full of love and experiences and accomplishments. They have very distinct personalities and interests. Lansens' wonderfully written story made me think a lot about deformities and "situations" that seem almost impossible to contemplate. I found myself searching the internet for cases of conjoined twins, some of which were even stranger and harder to fathom than Rose and Ruby's situation. I felt sort of like a voyeur. But I couldn't help it. Rose and Ruby are characters who, I think, will stay with me. I thoroughly enjoyed getting to know them, and I was sad to let them go. ( )
  DonnaCallea | Nov 29, 2014 |
"Lori Lansens at her finest! An extraordinary story - with a blend of tragedy and comedy will demonstrate how to live life to the fullest no matter the challenges, capturing every moment! " ( )
  JudithDCollins | Nov 27, 2014 |
“The Girls” glides by like a watercolor dream, finding its poetry in dailiness and the universalities of human desire and connection...

For my mother and father
I have never looked into my sister's eyes.

Rarely has the experience of being a sister been so poignantly and memorably captured as in Lori Lansens's triumphant novel. The Girls celebrates life's fundamental joys and trials as it presents Rose and Ruby, sisters destined to live inseparably but blessed with distinct sensibilities that enrich and complicate their shared experiences-of growing up, of finding their way in the world, of saying good-bye.Readers who encounter the girls will find it hard to resist falling under their spell.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:30 -0400)

One of the world's oldest living craniopagus conjoined twins at the approach of her thirtieth birthday, bookish Rose Darlen attempts to pen her autobiography while remembering the joys and challenges of her life with sister Ruby, with whom she shares friendships in their small hometown.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,994,878 books! | Top bar: Always visible