The Girls: A Novel by Lori Lansens

The Girls: A Novel (original 2005; edition 2006)

by Lori Lansens

Member:CindyFrag
Title:The Girls: A Novel
Authors:Lori Lansens
Info:Little, Brown and Company (2006), Hardcover, 352 pages
Tags:Read in 2008

The Girls by Lori Lansens (2005)

English (131)  Dutch (3)  Japanese (1)  French (1)  All languages (136)
This story of craniopagus twins born in a tornado in Southwestern Ontario was fun and sad and unusual and fascinating all at once. It is written from the perspective of both twins and I hugely admire Lansens's ability to write in two distinctly different voices. It was an enjoyable read and the backdrop of rural southwestern Ontario was one I particularly enjoyed. Occasionally, the writing slipped into the predictable and well, sloppy - a move which could have been a distinct choice since the main character expresses concern about writing sloppily - and towards the end, the story becomes a little tedious. But, all in all, it was an enjoyable read, the kind of book that makes you feel like you should strive to be a better, stronger person. ( )
  Wordbrarian | Mar 5, 2019 |
Oh my goodness. This book was UNBELIEVABLE! I initially picked it up because of its jaw-dropping concept (conjoined twins) but I fell in love with this book because of the fundamental joy brought forth from the sadness of the imagined situation. An absolutely magnificent novel! ( )
  bookishblond | Oct 24, 2018 |
I am very late to the Lori Lansens party. All my Canadian friends read this book last year, and I had only heard great feedback. I was reluctant to read it because it sounded sappy. I was curious, in a "look at the car-accident" way, to learn about the day-to-day challenges of conjoined twins. Those details are laid out for the reader, but more than that is the wonderful story of sisters, a family, and a small town.

The girls each have very distinct personalities, they venture out in the world and make a life in their town and, without giving away any spoilers, experience the joys and the heartbreak of growing up.

This is a beautiful, but never sappy story, told by a wonderful writer. ( )
  Rdra1962 | Aug 1, 2018 |
I loved this story! I had no idea was it was about until I started reading it. It was funny and sad at times. The story of conjoined twins but really with separate lives within their story. ( )
  Samqua | May 8, 2018 |
Somehow I liked this book even with its lack of plot. Written as a memoir, from the separate points of view of each of the twins, The Girls moved along well, and was at times funny and at times sad. I would have given it a higher rating if more had happened... I suppose that makes it more realistic, though. Most of our lives are pretty everyday hum-drum with interesting bits here and there. ( )
  SoubhiKiewiet | Mar 20, 2018 |
“The Girls” glides by like a watercolor dream, finding its poetry in dailiness and the universalities of human desire and connection...

For my mother and father
I have never looked into my sister's eyes.

Rarely has the experience of being a sister been so poignantly and memorably captured as in Lori Lansens's triumphant novel. The Girls celebrates life's fundamental joys and trials as it presents Rose and Ruby, sisters destined to live inseparably but blessed with distinct sensibilities that enrich and complicate their shared experiences-of growing up, of finding their way in the world, of saying good-bye.Readers who encounter the girls will find it hard to resist falling under their spell.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:30 -0400)

One of the world's oldest living craniopagus conjoined twins at the approach of her thirtieth birthday, bookish Rose Darlen attempts to pen her autobiography while remembering the joys and challenges of her life with sister Ruby, with whom she shares friendships in their small hometown.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,109,725 books! | Top bar: Always visible