The Judge Who Stole Christmas by Randy…

The Judge Who Stole Christmas

by Randy Singer

This was a cute book. Good ending and some hidden lessons along the way.
  Bettyb30 | Jun 24, 2013 |
This story will bring tears to your eyes. The town of Possum, Virginia has a live manger display in the town square. When a lawyer for the ACLU arrives and serves 'Joseph' with a summons to appear in court. The judge sides with the ACLU and Thomas Hammond (Joseph) along with the town, try to find a way around the court order to cease and desist. Thomas is willing to spend time in jail for his beliefs, and the judge does not hesitate to send him to jail-until Dec. 26 or an apology is issued. When Thomas finally apologizes to the judge and the court, he leaves jail to once again assume the part of Joseph, this time with a surprising Mary at his side. ( )
  wearylibrarian | Aug 30, 2011 |
free on amazon ( )
  tribex | Jan 14, 2011 |
A bit of US apologetics, dealing with "the war on Christmas". The hammonds aren't particularly sympathetic characters (they let a child die whilst praying for a miracle cure). To be honest I'm on the side of the ACLU who are very much painted as the bad guys. That aside this is an easy reading legal procedural, sprinkled with basketball and a bit of the religious right. As others have said the end is more than a little cheesy. Not a Christmas classic, but not outright unreadable polemic either. ( )
  anamuk | Dec 4, 2010 |
I enjoyed 99% of this book very much. The basketball went over my head somewhat (excuse the pun) and the religion was a little outside my comfort zone too, but the book was well written, the characters believable and the legal aspects interesting.

For me, the ending let it down. Just a bit too miraculous to be true. But I suppose it *is* Christmas... ( )
  AJBraithwaite | Dec 1, 2010 |

Thomas Hammond and his wife play Joseph and Mary in the annual live nativity in their hometown until a federal judge rules the display unconstitutional. Thomas refuses to abide by the court order and ends up in jail. From the courtrooms of Virginia to the talk shows of New York City, the battle escalates into a national media spectacle.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,251,784 books! | Top bar: Always visible