Winter's Bone by Daniel Woodrell

Winter's Bone (2006)

by Daniel Woodrell

Bastard Out of Carolina by Dorothy Allison (Jesse_wiedinmyer)
    The Weight of Blood by Laura McHugh (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Questions of family loyalty trouble resourceful teen girls in these stark and menacing novels of hardscrabble life in the Ozark hills. Both fast-paced literary thrillers combine a strong sense of place with haunting characters and clear-eyed depictions of violence.… (more)
    The Devil All the Time by Donald Ray Pollock (sparemethecensor)
    sparemethecensor: Though one is set in Appalachia and one in the Ozarks, both are dark, gritty, Southern noir novels that immerse readers fully in the depravity that comes along with desperate poverty in these regions of the country.
    The Maid's Version by Daniel Woodrell (smasler)
    smasler: Woodrell is the master of Missouri Rural Noir
    Redemption Falls by Joseph O'Connor (1Owlette)
    Cold Mountain by Charles Frazier (1Owlette)

English (111)  German (1)  French (1)  All languages (113)
Wow. There's a reason I never saw the movie. I always thought I would read the book. Glad I did. This was as raw, as poetic, as brutal as anything I've read. A genuine, jaw-dropping, masterpiece. Gritty and untamed, I could feel the cold and the hunger in every sentence. Outstanding. ( )
  asxz | Mar 13, 2019 |
His characters are tough and hard and barely string two sentences together, but his descriptions of the land and their inner lives are almost poetic. You'd think this would be a bad blend, but it worked perfectly for me. The movie stayed really close to the book and I think the few things it did change were necessary. Loved the book, loved the movie. ( )
  badube | Mar 6, 2019 |
This book snuck up on me. I started off thinking, oh man, what have I gotten myself into? But then I just let go and I found myself carried away on the beautiful prose, unique characters, and vibrant scenery. Which is quite remarkable considering that most of it is describing dark, ugly, sad, and violent lives. ( )
  she_climber | Nov 29, 2018 |
“Fading light buttered the ridges until shadows licked them clean and they were lost to nightfall.”

“You got to be ready to die every day - then you got a chance.”

Ree Dolly, a bright and scrappy sixteen year old, living in rural poverty in the Ozarks, with a missing father, an ailing mother and two younger brothers to look after, has just taken on a heap more responsibility- saving the family home.

I first saw the film version of this novel, back in 2010, the same year the book was published. It was my introduction to a terrific young actress named Jennifer Lawrence. I have read several other books by Woodrell but always wanted to read the source material and I finally did. It is excellent. I knew he was a good writer but his prose here, absolutely sings. It is tough and lyrical and he captures the hard-scrabble Ozark life with a sharp eye and ear for detail. If you have only seen the film, please give this one your full attention. ( )
  msf59 | Nov 19, 2018 |
Revisiting Country Noir
Review of the Audible Audio edition narrated by Emma Galvin

"Winter's Bone" (2006) is probably now most known for its faithful 2010 movie adaptation that provided breakout roles for Jennifer Lawrence as lead character Ree Dolly and John Hawkes as the terrifying meth-head uncle Teardrop Dolly. The success of the movie provided the impetus for a 2010 audiobook recording as a tie-in edition narrated by actress Emma Galwin with a cover featuring the movie promo art. Audible offered the audiobook as an Audible Daily Deal on November 5, 2018 and for $1.95 it was an inexpensive way to revisit one of Daniel Woodrell's Ozark mountain country noir.

Galvin provides a very authentic sounding variety of character voices and Woodrell's rustic woodicisms roll off her tongue as if she was born to the Ozark region (which I assume she is not). The average "Winter's Bone" rating over time has been in 4 star territory, but I'm going to bump this up to a 5 for the narration performance alone. ( )
  alanteder | Nov 17, 2018 |

Daniel Woodrellprimary authorall editionscalculated
Galvin, EmmaNarratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
To cover the houses and the stones with green -- so the sky would make sense -- you have to push down black roots into the dark --- Cesare Pavese
To Ellen Levine, stalwart again, and Katie
Ree Dolly stood at break of day on her cold front steps and smelled coming flurries and saw meat.

Ree Dolly's father has skipped bail on charges that he ran a crystal meth lab, and the Dollys will lose their house if he doesn't show up for his next court date. With two young brothers depending on her, 16-year-old Ree knows she has to bring her father back, dead or alive. Living in the harsh poverty of the Ozarks, Ree learns quickly that asking questions of the rough Dolly clan can be a fatal mistake. But, as an unsettling revelation lurks, Ree discovers unforeseen depths in herself and in a family network that protects its own at any cost.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:30 -0400)

Reaching her sixteenth year in the harsh Ozarks while caring for her poverty-stricken family, Ree Dolly learns that they will lose their house unless her bail-skipping father can be found and made to appear at an upcoming court date.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,565,108 books! | Top bar: Always visible