Winter's Bone by Daniel Woodrell

Winter's Bone (original 2006; edition 2007)

by Daniel Woodrell

Title:Winter's Bone
Authors:Daniel Woodrell
Info:Sceptre (2007), Paperback, 208 pages
Collections:Stockcheck, Your library, Favorites, 5 Star Books
Tags:Fiction, American, Family drama

Winter's Bone by Daniel Woodrell (2006)

Bastard Out of Carolina by Dorothy Allison (Jesse_wiedinmyer)
    The Weight of Blood by Laura McHugh (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Questions of family loyalty trouble resourceful teen girls in these stark and menacing novels of hardscrabble life in the Ozark hills. Both fast-paced literary thrillers combine a strong sense of place with haunting characters and clear-eyed depictions of violence.… (more)
    The Devil All the Time by Donald Ray Pollock (sparemethecensor)
    sparemethecensor: Though one is set in Appalachia and one in the Ozarks, both are dark, gritty, Southern noir novels that immerse readers fully in the depravity that comes along with desperate poverty in these regions of the country.
    Redemption Falls by Joseph O'Connor (1Owlette)
    Cold Mountain by Charles Frazier (1Owlette)

English (89)  German (1)  French (1)  All languages (91)
More like 2.5, not 3. Ending was more or less expected. At least the film is with Jennifer Lawrence. Bleak. At least it was short, 0.5 for that, so the 3 stars maybe justified. Not my type of book but I knew that beforehand. And I did not waste any money on it, a small relief.
I still have to watch the film. There is no reason for me to read another book by the same writer or read this again.
  Ingo.Lembcke | Oct 27, 2015 |
The kind of book that doesn't get written enough. It's like McCarthy, but with people I know and recognize. Who says you can't write about the poor and make a dime off of it? ( )
  mkgutierrez | Oct 23, 2015 |
Ree lives in a world that is far removed from my reality. There is an undercurrent of violence and danger that is always present. Ree is a tough cookie, as her Uncle Teardrop tells her "Folks have noticed the sand you got, girl". There are unwritten codes that the inter-connected families abide by, evidenced with lines such as "where a man's at ain't necessarily for you to know neither". There are some mean, unsavoury characters in this story which adds to the tension. The environment is harsh and unforgiving as well, the winter weather another element to contend with.
Wonderful writing. Lines like "Little Arthur was a little-man mix of swagger and tongue, with a trailing history of deeds that vouched for his posture". I finished this story relieved that I could walk away from a place where women have few choices and men are ruthless. Where a woman needs to knows her place, can be just as violent as the men, and lives in fear. Ree is tenacious, protective of her mother and two brothers, and willing to risk her life to get to the truth. A gruelling story that is horrific at times; the characters and world building are so well written that it is a great read. ( )
  SueS7 | Oct 8, 2015 |
Amazing book adapted as perfectly for the screen as is possible. Gritty, simple, and honest, reminds us how complexity and drama unfolds from simple humanity, even in the simple country. ( )
  Victor_A_Davis | Sep 18, 2015 |
The movie version of this novel got a lot of critical acclaim when it came out a few years ago. I DVRed it, but when I tried to watch the damned thing it was so brutally dismal that I gave up after no more than 15 minutes.

When I saw the book included on Facebook (on a list that purported to be the best 100 books of all time), I put it on my reading list earlier this month. It turned out to be a really great novel. I wouldn't go so far as to rank it with the 100 best books of all time, but it's certainly on my list of the 100 best books of the 21st Century. And maybe it will stay on that list.

If anything, the book is ore dismal than the movie appeared to be. But it's a beautifully written book, with incredibly memorable characters. ( )
  dickmanikowski | Aug 20, 2015 |

Daniel Woodrellprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Galvin, EmmaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To cover the houses and the stones with green -- so the sky would make sense -- you have to push down black roots into the dark --- Cesare Pavese
To Ellen Levine, stalwart again, and Katie
Ree Dolly stood at break of day on her cold front steps and smelled coming flurries and saw meat.

Ree Dolly's father has skipped bail on charges that he ran a crystal meth lab, and the Dollys will lose their house if he doesn't show up for his next court date. With two young brothers depending on her, 16-year-old Ree knows she has to bring her father back, dead or alive. Living in the harsh poverty of the Ozarks, Ree learns quickly that asking questions of the rough Dolly clan can be a fatal mistake. But, as an unsettling revelation lurks, Ree discovers unforeseen depths in herself and in a family network that protects its own at any cost.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:30 -0400)

Reaching her sixteenth year in the harsh Ozarks while caring for her poverty-stricken family, Ree Dolly learns that they will lose their house unless her bail-skipping father can be found and made to appear at an upcoming court date.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,862,100 books! | Top bar: Always visible