Winters Bone by Daniel Woodrell

Winters Bone (original 2006; edition 2006)

by Daniel Woodrell

Member:anje-wendt
Title:Winters Bone
Authors:Daniel Woodrell
Info:TRAFALGAR SQUARE (2006), Edition: First Edition ~1st Printing, Hardcover, 226 pages
Collections:Your library, Read, Kindle
Tags:2012

Winter's Bone by Daniel Woodrell (2006)

Bastard Out of Carolina by Dorothy Allison (Jesse_wiedinmyer)
    Redemption Falls by Joseph O'Connor (1Owlette)
    The Devil All the Time by Donald Ray Pollock (sparemethecensor)
    sparemethecensor: Though one is set in Appalachia and one in the Ozarks, both are dark, gritty, Southern noir novels that immerse readers fully in the depravity that comes along with desperate poverty in these regions of the country.
    Cold Mountain by Charles Frazier (1Owlette)

English (85)  German (1)  French (1)  All languages (87)
Absolutely flawless and haunting ( )
  katherineemilysmith | May 4, 2015 |
Daniel Woodrell’s prose in Winter’s Bone reflects his characters’ thought and speech: it’s pared down to the essentials – so laconic and economical that it almost becomes oblique. This is one of the main charms of this novel – the whittled-down telling of the raw emotion and ever-present tendency to violence of the characters; the stark natural world in winter fury and snow-bound calm; the harsh truth about backwoods mountain folk who are almost all related, and who as often as not, operate on the wrong side of the law.

The meanness and betrayal swirl around a sixteen year-old girl, Ree Dolly, whose father has run from the law again. Not only has he gone on the lam, but has signed over his home – Ree’s home, which she shares with her addled Mom and two younger brothers – as collateral for his bail. Ree must try to find and deliver him into court, but begins to suspect something much more … final has happened to him.

Because of her Dad, Ree’s family and kin are persona non grata around the Ozark woods and hollows where they live. While she herself is blameless, she is still stopped from seeking help in finding her missing miscreant Dad. The way Mr. Woodrell portrays the boundless courage she shows in the face of mortal danger, warrants your reading this book by itself. Ree is a stunning invention – pre-eminent in her neighborhood at sixteen, withstanding threats, teaching her brothers how to shoot as her quest becomes tougher, defying friend and enemy alike to achieve her goal – she’s a stunner, and I honor the author for conceiving her and executing her portrait so cleanly and convincingly.

I also honor Mr. Woodrell for adopting the language of his characters as his own for his narration. It places him and us squarely in the action. And there is action aplenty. This is not a story for the faint-hearted, what with the beating and (behind the scenes) murder and rampant meth production and the drinking and the getting high. This book deals with life-and-death issues in a way that honors the courageous and loyal, and does it in a way that fits its subject matter perfectly.

This novel really sneaked up on me. It’s grand. Check it out.

http://bassoprofundo1.blogspot.com/2015/03/daniel-woodrells-prose-in-winters-bon... ( )
  LukeS | Mar 26, 2015 |
Darkly compelling, beautifully written Noir

Evocatively woven, this tale of survival and disappearance in the tightly knitted community in the Orzaks, USA. The simmering tensions and tightly controlled social rules, the bleak and cold setting both entwine and kick the book’s atmosphere straight into your brain, I could feel the ice slowly settling on me as I read. At the centre of the story is Ree Dolly, shockingly brave and stubborn. She carries practically the only light in the books heart, so forcefully you cannot but empathise, a beautifully drawn character alongside a great cast, none of which descend into stereotypes. The simmering violence and love they exude exist to joust between the surface of most familial encounters with just as much menace as tenacious hope to swamp you.

It is a gripping and involving tale. One that this is a world away from my English city life yet feels so real it’s one of the reasons I devour books so eagerly. That is wrapped around a tightly, nail biting drama with your hoped for outcome muddy and dissolute. I want things thatI know cannot happen in this world, what’s the least worst outcome? Dark Noir with a shining heart is exactly the type I love and this is a highly recommended example. It’s my first Woodrell but it will not be my last. ( )
1 vote clfisha | May 1, 2014 |
Well written in succinct yet descriptive prose. Definitely easy to root for the female lead in the story who is trying to take care of her family as best as she can. ( )
  sschaller | Apr 24, 2014 |
I don't really know what to say about this book other than I loved it. Having seen the movie, I went in with expectations that were not only met but surpassed by miles. It's haunting, and I don't think I have to tell anyone who's read Woodrell that his writing is beautiful and lyrical.
It's a little southern gothic, but I like the term country noir best to describe this book. None of the characters are spotless innocents, or even particularly nice people. The only rule in this seedy town is keep your mouth shut. You should trust only family, and even then only as far as you can throw them. Ree Dolly is both tough as nails and heart-breakingly young. It's not a nice story, but it's a good story about poverty, family, and above all survival. ( )
  smg023 | Mar 31, 2014 |

Daniel Woodrellprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Galvin, EmmaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To cover the houses and the stones with green -- so the sky would make sense -- you have to push down black roots into the dark --- Cesare Pavese
To Ellen Levine, stalwart again, and Katie
Ree Dolly stood at break of day on her cold front steps and smelled coming flurries and saw meat.

Ree Dolly's father has skipped bail on charges that he ran a crystal meth lab, and the Dollys will lose their house if he doesn't show up for his next court date. With two young brothers depending on her, 16-year-old Ree knows she has to bring her father back, dead or alive. Living in the harsh poverty of the Ozarks, Ree learns quickly that asking questions of the rough Dolly clan can be a fatal mistake. But, as an unsettling revelation lurks, Ree discovers unforeseen depths in herself and in a family network that protects its own at any cost.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:03:30 -0400)

Reaching her sixteenth year in the harsh Ozarks while caring for her poverty-stricken family, Ree Dolly learns that they will lose their house unless her bail-skipping father can be found and made to appear at an upcoming court date.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,303,591 books! | Top bar: Always visible