Sarah Morgan: The Civil War Diary of a…

Sarah Morgan: The Civil War Diary of a Southern Woman (1913)

by Sarah Morgan Dawson

Sarah's daily diary makes for an interesting read. She covers many day to day activities and also the war as it came to her state. ( )
  WongXu | Mar 26, 2014 |
I found this diary tedious and uneventful. My initial enthusiasm at reading a first hand account from the perspective of a young Confederate woman ended quickly as Ms. Morgan's work devolved into various accounts of personal relationships having little significance to the war itself. While one can appreciate the fact that she was displaced from her home by the coming war, I found it difficult to sympathize with her privileged background and complaints, e.g., of having to eat various vegetables given the lack of bountiful provisions. There are many fascinating Civil War diaries. This is not one of them. ( )
  la2bkk | Nov 20, 2013 |
I believe that any American, when reading about the American Civil War, tends to try to put their own standing as to whether Unionist or Confederate aside and look at the historical aspect of the volume. I had difficulty doing that with this book because of the apparent authenticity of the trials and tribulations of the author. This book was originally published in 1923.

The introduction to this diary was compelling stating that "No Southerner at that time could possibly have had opinions so just or foresight so clear as those here attributed to a young girl."

Sarah's adventures may have seemed a bit trivial in some cases for those of our century (collecting clothes, hiding silver), but at her time and place, she was a strong young woman who made every effort to keep her family together during the conflicts that surrounded them. ( )
  cyderry | Oct 16, 2011 |
I cannot fathom my days without Sarah in them after reading of her life for so long. Her trials, tribulations, and losses will stay with me always. She is an incredibly sharp witted young southern woman who writes magnificently. Her level of education and privilege is at once clearly understood from her writing.
This is not just some cheesy adolescent journal some girl wrote.

At times the book just goes on and on monotonously. Do not forget that the monotony you feel is the same she is expressing to you since that is what her life goes through during the war. It is like being transported in time to a place so long gone and forgotten....the Civil War and the late 1800's. It describes what life was like back then through her eyes and the divisions and sentiments of people on both sides of the divide. I was amazed at how so many families had sons fighting for both sides at once against each other.

It gives you a sense of how privileged we all are to not have experienced war on our soil in our lifetimes. I hope we never do. ( )
1 vote adribabe | Aug 28, 2011 |

Dawson, Sarah Morganprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dawson, WarringtonIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
East, CharlesEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Sarah - and for Rachel and Katie

Born into one of the best families of Baton Rouge, Sarah Morgan was not yet twenty when she began her diary in January 1862, nine months after the start of the Civil War. She was soon to experience a coming-of-age filled with the turmoil and upheaval that devastated the wartime South. She set down the Remarkable events of the war in a record that remains one of the most vivid, evocative portrayals in existence of a time and place that today make up a crucial chapter in our national history.

Sarah Morgan herself emerges as one of the most memorable nineteenth-century women in fiction or nonfiction, a young woman of intelligence and fortitude, as well as of high spirits and passion, who questioned the society into which she was born and the meaning of the war for ordinary families like her own and for the divided nation as a whole.

Now published in its entirety for the first time, Sarah Morgan's classic account brings the Civil War and the Old South to life with all the freshness and immediacy of great literature.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:02 -0400)

This classic book contains the touching diary of a Confederate girl in the American Civil War, and will prove an emotional and enthralling read to anyone with an interest in the history of America.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,084,953 books! | Top bar: Always visible