The Elfstones of Shannara (The Sword of…

The Elfstones of Shannara (The Sword of Shannara) (original 1982; edition 1983)

by Terry Brooks, Darrell K. Sweet (Illustrator)

Member:biglou8501
Title:The Elfstones of Shannara (The Sword of Shannara)
Authors:Terry Brooks
Other authors:Darrell K. Sweet (Illustrator)
Info:Del Rey (1983), Edition: First Thus, Mass Market Paperback, 576 pages

The Elfstones of Shannara by Terry Brooks (1982)

English (38)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (40)
Another stinky book club pick. At this point I'm just going for the socialization. Anyway...

The worst thing about this book is not that it's a Tolkien rip-off; it's that it's a tedious, badly-written Tolkien rip-off. It reads as if a young writer read a few fantasy novels, maybe played a little D&D, and then proceeded to write what he thought a fantasy novel should sound like. In other words, the style is very affected and pretentious. He also repeats himself a lot. At least Stephen King will wait a few pages before reminding you of something you already read; Terry will keep going over it until he is sure that you got it the first time. Maybe the publisher asked for a longer book and Terry didn't understand that he was supposed to add more story, so he just went through and reiterated everything.

Not only does the plot feel strangely familiar, but Terry's version is terribly contrived. There's no sense of danger after a while because whenever the protagonists get into a fix they are saved by one deus ex machina after another. If it's not the book's third-rate Gandalf, it's a never-before-mentioned earth spirit that relocates them to safety, or it's the Elfstones whose power is to do whatever is needed to save the protagonists in any situation.

The characters are completely uninteresting. When one slightly interesting character shows up who might make things a bit sexier, she is left behind. (Those fools!) I think she might turn up again later, probably at just the right moment to miraculously save our protagonists, but I didn't get that far. ( )
  chaosfox | Feb 22, 2019 |
Kon me niet echt bekoren. ( )
  EdwinKort | Jul 4, 2018 |
Well...by the end of the book I enjoyed this more. A bit more a original than the first, but still very Tolkien-esque (I suppose everyone is to a certain extent that writes in the genre). Wasn't a huge fan of that narrator of this audio book, he was a bit over the top arch, and overly dramatic, kind of silly at times. But, still enough to get me to read the third book in the trilogy eventually I suppose. ( )
  BooksForDinner | Oct 13, 2017 |
Già il primo è stato una fiera delle banalità, questo è riuscito a batterlo. Come Tolkien nessuno mai: il punto è sapere con chi ci si sta confrontando e come staccarsene. Non tutti ci riescono: Brooks dovrebbe darsi all'ippica. ( )
  LaPizia | Aug 3, 2017 |
I have heard of this author but this is the first time that I have actually read any of his work. In fact, I might never have checked it out if it was not for the fact that these books had not been recently made into a television series. My husband and I recently started watching the show and I was curious to check out the books. I picked up book one and I was already a third of the way in before I put it down. I promptly ordered The Wishsong of Shannara.

All of the characters in this book were great. I had no one favorite. Although at first I was not jiving with Wil. I thought he came off as weak and I felt that Amberle was going to have to carry all of the weight for the both of them. Yet, there were a few moments where Wil really did step up when it counted. I flew through the rest of this book and I can't wait until the next one arrives in the mail so I can read it. I will also be checking out the other books by Mr. Brooks. ( )
  Cherylk | Aug 13, 2016 |

Sweet, DarrellIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Barbara,
With Love
The night sky brightened faintly in the east with the approach of dawn as the Chosen entered the Gardens of Life.
-Der alte Mann im Schaukelstul summte leise vor sich hin, während er in den in der Dämmerung liegenden Wald hinausblickte. Weit im Westen, jenseits der grünen Mauer der Bäume, die undurchdringlich die Lichtung umschloß, auf der seine Hütte stand, sank die Sonne unter den Horizont und das Tageslicht wurde fahl und grau.-
This is a single work and should not be combined with the collection.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345285549, Mass Market Paperback)

Ancient Evil threatens the Elves: The ancient tree created by long-lost Elven magic, is dying. When Wil Ohmsford is summoned to guard the Amberle on a perilous quest to gather a new seed for a new tree, he is faced with the Reaper, the most fearsome of all Demons. And Wil is without power to control them....

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:25 -0400)

The grandson of Shea, Wil Ohmsford, searches for Amberle, the Chosen whose gift of Bloodfire is needed to create the Ellcrys tree that protects against demons.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,449,179 books! | Top bar: Always visible