The Absolute Sandman Volume Two

by Neil Gaiman

Other authors: John Bolton (Illustrator), Colleen Doran (Illustrator), Mike Dringenberg (Illustrator), Duncan Eagleson (Illustrator), Dick Giordano (Illustrator)10 more, Malcolm Jones III (Illustrator), Kelley Jones (Illustrator), Vince Locke (Illustrator), Sean McManus (Illustrator), George Pratt (Illustrator), P. Craig Russell (Illustrator), Bryan Talbot (Illustrator), Matt Wagner (Illustrator), John Watkiss (Illustrator), Stan Woch (Illustrator)

Series: The Sandman (Omnibus 04-06)

DC Comics is proud to present the second volume of the comics classic THE SANDMAN in Absolute format! The second of four beautifully designed slipcased volumes, THE ABSOLUTE SANDMAN VOL. 2 collects issues 21-39 of THE SANDMAN and features remastered coloring on all 19 issues as well as brand-new inks on THE SANDMAN #34 by the issue's original penciller, Colleen Doran, and a host of bonus material, including two never-before-reprinted stories by Gaiman (one prose and one illustrated), a complete reproduction of the never-before-reprinted one-shot THE SANDMAN: A GALLERY OF DREAMS, and the complete script and pencils by Gaiman and Kelley Jones for Chapter Two of "Season of Mists" from THE SANDMAN #23.… (more)

English (16)  Swedish (1)  All languages (17)
Volume II of this series is as gorgeous as Volume I. There are two main stories, only one of which I'd read before. The first, about Lucifer abdicating as ruler of Hell, did not appeal to me as much as the second, about The Cuckoo, with its cast of characters from under-represented groups and very mysterious goings on. Apparently I'm unusual in liking it more than the other. I still feel Sandman is at its best when it relies on Gaiman's own invented mythology of the Endless more than on any connections to the wider DC universe or obvious borrowings from elsewhere.

I keep forgetting the strong horror sensibility that Sandman has - it's not prominent in Gaiman's prose fiction. I like it.

There's heaps of bonus material in the back, most of which has not been collected before, including a very short piece featuring Desire. Presumably the original comic is quite valuable now. It's all worth reading, including the script for the issue in which Sandman returns to Hell. Hilariously, we find out what Gaiman was watching on a B&W TV whilst writing it and that if you're not fully paying attention one might mistake Boorman's self-aware, ironic and hilarious film Excalibur for rubbish...

Bring me Volume III ! ( )
  Arbieroo | Jul 17, 2020 |
Mr. Gaiman, you wrote a damn fine comic here. Damn fine.

"A Game of You" is another precursor to the first graphic novel I fell in love with, 'Kingdom of the Wicked', and had some great characters. And "Season of Mists" you just have to read to believe. I said in my review for the 'Absolute Sandman, Vol. 1' that Gaiman creates his own mythology for 'Sandman', but that he does it on the grandest scale and in so few issues....

I stayed up late multiple nights to get through "just one more" and it was worth the foggy work mornings. The book ends unexpectedly because of the huge bonus sections of author bios and scripts, but the series still feels like it's on an upward trajectory.

Sandman

Next: 'Volume 3' ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
Some very cool stories set within beautifully rendered artwork. While I'm otherwise not a huge Neil Gaiman fan, (I'm not sure why his novels don't resonate with me), this Sandman material is simply amazing. ( )
  ScoLgo | Apr 14, 2015 |
Another great presentation of Gaiman's epic. This contains the story of Lucifer's departure from Hell (one of the high points of Sandman) with the story of Barbie's dream world (which is probably my least favorite part of the story, despite the appearance of Thessaly, one of my favorite characters). ( )
  jawalter | Nov 18, 2012 |
Three years after getting Absolute Sandman 2 from Amber as a Christmas present, I finally sat down and flew through it. It's not that its a difficult graphic novel to read, quite the contrary actually. It's that its so good and there are only 5 of them. You got to pace them out. Gaiman doesn't produce a lot of long reads so if you like him like I do, you have to make him last. This second volume contains a number of great story lines including Dream's descent into hell and Lucifer basically giving up hell to go on vacation. We also get treated to some historical fiction with the French Revolution, Augustus Caesar, Marco Polo, and turn of the century San Francisco. Pure fantasy is dished up with the "A Game of You" series and "The Hunt". All are quite original, finely written and illustrated, and all a bit dark and mysterious. The volume closes with some great "extras" at the end like the facsimile of Gaiman's script to the illustrators with his captions for "A Game of You". ( )
  BenjaminHahn | Sep 3, 2012 |

Wagner, MattIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Watkiss, JohnIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Woch, StanIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

The Sandman (Omnibus 04-06)

Belongs to Publisher Series

Contains

Inspired

You don't have to stay anywhere forever.
We do what we must . . . Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all.
And if there's a moral there, I don't know what it is, save maybe that we should take our goodbyes whenever we can. And that's all.

Collects The Sandman #21-39: Contains: Season of mists: a prologue -- Season of mists: chapter one-- dSeason of mists: chapter two -- Season of mists: chapter three -- Season of mists: chapter four -- Season of mists: chapter five -- Season of mists: chapter six -- Season of mists: epilogue-- Distant mirrors: thermidor -- Distant mirrors: August -- Distant mirrors: Three Septembers and a January -- A game of you, chapter one: Slaughter on Fifth Avenue -- A game of you, chapter two: Lullabies of Broadway -- A game of you, chapter three: Bad moon rising -- A game of you, chapter four: Beginning to see the light -- A game of you, chapter five: Over the sea to the sky -- A game of you, chapter six: I woke up and one of us was crying -- Convergence: The hunt -- Convergence: Soft places -- A Sandman miscellany -- Afterwords / by Neil Gaiman -- Biographies.

"The Flowers of Romance" from Vertigo: Winter's Edge #1, "A Longer and Stranger History" from The Sandman Cold Cast Porcelain Figurine and The Sandman: A Gallery of Dreams #1.

THE ABSOLUTE SANDMAN VOLUME TWO reprints issues 21-39 of THE SANDMAN and features remastered coloring prepared especially for this edition on all nineteen issues, as well as brand-new inks on THE SANDMAN #34 by the issue's penciller, Colleen Doran. This volume also includes two never-before-reprinted stories by Gaiman (a Desire story painted by John Bolton, and a prose Sandman story previously only available to buyers of the very first Sandman statue, released in 1991), a complete reproduction of the never-before-reprinted one-shot THE SANDMAN: A GALLERY OF DREAMS, and the original script and pencils by Gaiman and Kelley Jones for Chapter Two of "Season of Mists" from THE SANDMAN #23.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,942,231 books! | Top bar: Always visible