The Absolute Sandman, Vol. 2 by Neil Gaiman

The Absolute Sandman, Vol. 2 (edition 2007)

by Neil Gaiman, Dave McKean (Illustrator), Colleen Doran (Illustrator), P. Craig Russell (Illustrator), Shawn Macmanus (Illustrator)2 more, Kelley Jones (Illustrator), Alisa Kwitney (Introduction)

Member:jeidai
Title:The Absolute Sandman, Vol. 2
Authors:Neil Gaiman
Other authors:Dave McKean (Illustrator), Colleen Doran (Illustrator), P. Craig Russell (Illustrator), Shawn Macmanus (Illustrator), Kelley Jones (Illustrator)1 more, Alisa Kwitney (Introduction)
Info:Vertigo (2007), Hardcover, 616 pages
Tags:Sandman, hardcover, first edition, to read

The Absolute Sandman Volume Two by Neil Gaiman

English (15)  Swedish (1)  All languages (16)
Mr. Gaiman, you wrote a damn fine comic here. Damn fine.

"A Game of You" is another precursor to the first graphic novel I fell in love with Kingdom of the Wicked and had some great characters. And "Season of Mists" you just have to read to believe. I said in my review for the Absolute Sandman, Vol. 1 that Gaiman creates his own mythology for Sandman, but that he does it on the grandest scale and in so few issues....

I stayed up late multiple nights to get through "just one more" and it was worth the foggy work mornings. The book ends unexpectedly because of the huge bonus sections of author bios and scripts, but the series still feels like it's on an upward trajectory. ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
Some very cool stories set within beautifully rendered artwork. While I'm otherwise not a huge Neil Gaiman fan, (I'm not sure why his novels don't resonate with me), this Sandman material is simply amazing. ( )
  ScoLgo | Apr 14, 2015 |
Another great presentation of Gaiman's epic. This contains the story of Lucifer's departure from Hell (one of the high points of Sandman) with the story of Barbie's dream world (which is probably my least favorite part of the story, despite the appearance of Thessaly, one of my favorite characters). ( )
  jawalter | Nov 18, 2012 |
Three years after getting Absolute Sandman 2 from Amber as a Christmas present, I finally sat down and flew through it. It's not that its a difficult graphic novel to read, quite the contrary actually. It's that its so good and there are only 5 of them. You got to pace them out. Gaiman doesn't produce a lot of long reads so if you like him like I do, you have to make him last. This second volume contains a number of great story lines including Dream's descent into hell and Lucifer basically giving up hell to go on vacation. We also get treated to some historical fiction with the French Revolution, Augustus Caesar, Marco Polo, and turn of the century San Francisco. Pure fantasy is dished up with the "A Game of You" series and "The Hunt". All are quite original, finely written and illustrated, and all a bit dark and mysterious. The volume closes with some great "extras" at the end like the facsimile of Gaiman's script to the illustrators with his captions for "A Game of You". ( )
  BenjaminHahn | Sep 3, 2012 |
This volume covers issues 21-39 of the series and contains 2 main story arcs: Season of Mists and A Game of You. Both of which are excellent. The first of these sees Dream's return to Hell to right the wrong he inflicted on Nuala, the woman he loved and who spurned his offer of becoming his wife and so sentenced to eternal damnation, and free her from Lucifer's clutches. Not even sure he will succeed in his quest, even Dream is surprised by Lucifer's actions as he once again enters Hell. A Game of You features the return of Barbie (as featured in A Doll's House). The Land of her childhood dreams is in trouble and needs her to come back and save it from the Cuckoo. Dream is not so heavily featured in this one. While trying to protect her friends there her friends in the real world try to help as best they can. As well as these two major arcs we get several stand alone stories as well featuring various historical characters and situations including the self styled Emperor of the United States, we go to the time of the French Revolution with Johanna Constantine and to Ancient Rome with Emperor Augustus. We join one of The Folk on his hunt and also meet Marco Polo on his early travels.

An Absolute edition wouldn't be so without some extras and here's what's on offer this time around: A fun set of contributor biographies, a never-before-reprinted story about Destiny, articles on Sandman Month and the statue produced for the same, A Gallery of Dreams which show Dream as portrayed by various artists and the full script with original pencil drawings of issue #23. Overall a fine collection of additional material.

This book certainly belongs on the horror side of fantasy and it's definitely not for kids. There are some rather gruesome elements contained in some of these stories. I really enjoyed the Season of Mists and the majority of the singular tales. I wasn't totally enamoured with A Game of You but it's still Gaiman so was still very good. The artwork on the oversize pages is a treat and for this edition has been reworked and retouched as required. ( )
3 vote AHS-Wolfy | Jan 17, 2012 |

Watkiss, JohnIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Woch, StanIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Contains

The Sandman: Season of Mists by Neil Gaiman

The Sandman #21: Season of Mists: Prologue by Neil Gaiman (indirect)

The Sandman #22: Season of Mists: Chapter 1 by Neil Gaiman (indirect)

The Sandman #23: Season of Mists: Chapter 2 by Neil Gaiman (indirect)

The Sandman #24: Season of Mists: Chapter 3 by Neil Gaiman (indirect)

The Sandman #25: Season of Mists: Chapter 4 by Neil Gaiman (indirect)

Inspired

You don't have to stay anywhere forever.
We do what we must . . . Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all.
And if there's a moral there, I don't know what it is, save maybe that we should take our goodbyes whenever we can. And that's all.

Collects The Sandman #21-39: Contains: Season of mists: a prologue -- Season of mists: chapter one-- dSeason of mists: chapter two -- Season of mists: chapter three -- Season of mists: chapter four -- Season of mists: chapter five -- Season of mists: chapter six -- Season of mists: epilogue-- Distant mirrors: thermidor -- Distant mirrors: August -- Distant mirrors: Three Septembers and a January -- A game of you, chapter one: Slaughter on Fifth Avenue -- A game of you, chapter two: Lullabies of Broadway -- A game of you, chapter three: Bad moon rising -- A game of you, chapter four: Beginning to see the light -- A game of you, chapter five: Over the sea to the sky -- A game of you, chapter six: I woke up and one of us was crying -- Convergence: The hunt -- Convergence: Soft places -- A Sandman miscellany -- Afterwords / by Neil Gaiman -- Biographies.

"The Flowers of Romance" from Vertigo: Winter's Edge #1, "A Longer and Stranger History" from The Sandman Cold Cast Porcelain Figurine and The Sandman: A Gallery of Dreams #1.

THE ABSOLUTE SANDMAN VOLUME TWO reprints issues 21-39 of THE SANDMAN and features remastered coloring prepared especially for this edition on all nineteen issues, as well as brand-new inks on THE SANDMAN #34 by the issue's penciller, Colleen Doran. This volume also includes two never-before-reprinted stories by Gaiman (a Desire story painted by John Bolton, and a prose Sandman story previously only available to buyers of the very first Sandman statue, released in 1991), a complete reproduction of the never-before-reprinted one-shot THE SANDMAN: A GALLERY OF DREAMS, and the original script and pencils by Gaiman and Kelley Jones for Chapter Two of "Season of Mists" from THE SANDMAN #23.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 140121083X, Hardcover)

Written by Neil Gaiman Art by Shawn McManus, Kelley Jones, Mike Dringenberg, Bryan Talbot, John Watkiss, Matt Wagner, Stan Woch, Colleen Doran, Duncan Eagleson, John Bolton, Malcolm Jones III, George Pratt, Dick Giordano, P. Craig Russell and Vince Locke Cover by Dave McKean DC Comics is proud to present the second volume of the comics classic THE SANDMAN in Absolute format! The second of four beautifully designed slipcased volumes, THE ABSOLUTE SANDMAN VOL. 2 collects issues 21-39 of THE SANDMAN and features remastered coloring on all 19 issues as well as brand-new inks on THE SANDMAN #34 by the issue's original penciller, Colleen Doran, and a host of bonus material, including two never-before-reprinted stories by Gaiman (one prose and one illustrated), a complete reproduction of the never-before-reprinted one-shot THE SANDMAN: A GALLERY OF DREAMS, and the complete script and pencils by Gaiman and Kelley Jones for Chapter Two of "Season of Mists" from THE SANDMAN #23.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:34 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,565,045 books! | Top bar: Always visible