A la croisée des mondes, tome 1 : Les…

A la croisée des mondes, tome 1 : Les Royaumes du Nord (original 1995; edition 2003)

by Philip Pullman, Jean Esch (Translator)

24,64855244 (4.1)2 / 725
Member:corporate_clone
Title:A la croisée des mondes, tome 1 : Les Royaumes du Nord
Authors:Philip Pullman (Author)
Other authors:Jean Esch (Translator)
Info:Gallimard (2003), Mass Market Paperback, 533 pages
Collections:Your library, fiction, speculative fiction, fantasy, english
Rating:****1/2
Tags:fantasy, young adult

The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman (1995)

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis (Patangel)
    Sabriel by Garth Nix (staram)
    Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Book 1) by J. K. Rowling (Patangel)
    A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle (sturlington)
    The Neverending Story by Michael Ende (Leishai)
    Leishai: Also a story about fantasy with another world
    The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (ut.tecum.loquerer)
    The Book of Three by Lloyd Alexander (StefanY)
    Fly by Night by Frances Hardinge (Kerian)
    The House With a Clock In Its Walls by John Bellairs (timspalding)
    The Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett (bibliovermis)
    A Ring of Endless Light by Madeleine L'Engle (Anonymous user)
    The Witches of Willowmere by Alison Baird (mene)
    mene: "The Willowmere Chronicles" series includes daemons, but focusing more on the Ancient Greek version. "His Dark Materials" series has a parallel world where everyone has a daemon, but in a different way than the daemons in the Willowmere Chronicles.
    Paradise Lost by John Milton (Jannes)
    The Ruby in the Smoke by Philip Pullman (Aleana)
    The Darkangel Trilogy by Meredith Ann Pierce (VictoriaPL)
    Pavane by Keith Roberts (timspalding)
    Cold Magic by Kate Elliott (Jen448)
    Mortal Engines by Philip Reeve (Jannes)
    Jannes: Epic and awe-inspiring and steampunk-ish... also surprisingly complex characters and moral ambiguity for a YA novel - just like HDM
    Dreamhunter by Elizabeth Knox (SunnySD)
    Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld (Aleana)

1990s (7)
Unread books (1,086)

English (528)  Danish (6)  French (3)  German (3)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  Swedish (1)  Portuguese (1)  Dutch (1)  Finnish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (548)
Listened to the audiobook, a full-cast recording, with an excellent cast of voice actors. The quick pacing of the story pulled me along. I don't usually go for fantasy, but I'm glad I gave this a try. I'm on the second book in the trilogy now. ( )
  fromthecomfychair | Feb 11, 2016 |
Confession time: I'm pretty sure I've had this book since I was in high school. Maybe even middle school. A long time, regardless. It was a gift, and I'm so, so, so sorry that it took me at least ten years to read it.

I read it for two reasons:
1) I'm doing this personal challenge where I "kill" my TBR pile by reading at least three books per month that I've had for over a year.
2) It's Banned Books Week and I know this book has been challenged many times for its supposed atheist message, or whatever.

Anyway, I was really pleasantly surprised, because after a rather slow start, it got really exciting! I did watch the movie when it came out years ago, but I remembered almost nothing of the plot, except that I thought there was some kind of animal following Lyra around, and there was something about a polar bear.

So, anyway...

Lyra Belacqua, a young orphan, lives with the scholars at Oxford's Jordan College. She doesn't much like it there, since there are few people her own age to play with, and her lessons are half-hearted and dry. One day, her uncle, Lord Asriel, shows up talking about Dust, and the North, and a bunch of people Lyra has never heard of before. Lyra is intrigued by this mysterious Dust, and even more intrigued when nobody will bother explaining it to her.

Shortly after, the beautiful and charming Mrs. Coulter shows up, offering Lyra an opportunity to be her assistant and travel around the world with her. Lyra, who has never had consistent attention in her life, jumps at the chance. It's not long, though, before Lyra realizes that something is off with Mrs. Coulter, and she may be connected to mass kidnappings in the area.

With the help of her daemon, an armored bear, and some unexpected allies, Lyra must fight her way out of Mrs. Coulter's grasp, rescue her imprisoned uncle, and save the kidnapped children from horrific experiments.

So, all the time I was reading this book, I had one thought running through my head -- "I can't believe this is for kids." This book is so intense! It has horrific and terrifying scenes! I mean, maybe it's like that scene in Toy Story 3, where the toys almost get shredded and they're preparing to die, and I was basically sobbing on the edge of my seat. Maybe kids interpret it differently. Also, I'm really sensitive and emotional, like all the time. Especially when it comes to stuff with animals, but I legit almost cried when Lyra finds out what the Gobblers actually do.

But, since I was reading this book for Banned Books Week, I do feel like it's necessary to point out that I still liked the book, despite my strong emotional response, and I in no way think it should be pulled from library shelves.

Let me get on to the things I really liked:

1) Lyra. What a spunky kid. She never gets discouraged, never gives up, never thinks she can't do something because of her age or her gender or her status. She finds something that needs to be done and she does it. Just like that. This is such a great thing for kids to read about. It was inspiring to me, and I'm 25!

2) The daemons. I would love to have my own daemon! Of course, I really love animals, but the thought that an animal can be a physical representation of your soul, actually linked to you, with a deep emotional connection was just so great. When it was revealed that the Gobblers were experimenting to find a way to separate people from their daemons (not a spoiler - it's in the blurb), I cuddled my cat because it was like I could actually feel Lyra's daemon being torn away from her.

3) I loved how the plot just twists and turns and never slows down. Think you have it figured out? You don't. Think Lyra's finally safe? She's not. Think you know who the good guys and bad guys are? Nope. Think again.

4) I loved the alethiometer/symbol reader/lie detector. Lyra is the only one who can read it, and even though she's a "just a little girl," as some might say, she understands the importance of it and doesn't let anybody else take it away from her. The alethiometer helps her through a number of tricky situations and turns out to be an invaluable asset.

This book was such a pleasant surprise, and I'm really looking forward to reading the rest of the trilogy. ( )
1 vote Sara.Newhouse | Feb 11, 2016 |
This was a reread - I think I read this for the first time in 2000, and I loved it just as much as I remembered. It is such an amazing story with such real, vivid characters and heroes. The good are very very good, and the bad are very very bad. It takes place in a wonderful parallel universe that is just different enough from ours to keep you slightly confused and yet desperately interested to figure it all out. I can't WAIT to see the movie! ( )
  chessakat | Feb 5, 2016 |
A really good story about people, their spirits, and their faith. A little blasphemous, but not a bad read. ( )
  biggs1399 | Jan 19, 2016 |
Lyra has grown up at Jordan College in a universe different than ours where every human has a daemon attached to them. Things begin to change for Lyra when the Gobblers start stealing children and she is given into the mysterious Mrs. Coulter's care. I thought the universe in the book was interesting. The story itself is pretty grim but i likely will read the other two books in the series. ( )
  RachelNF | Jan 15, 2016 |
As always, Pullman is a master at combining impeccable characterizations and seamless plotting, maintaining a crackling pace to create scene upon scene of almost unbearable tension. This glittering gem will leave readers of all ages eagerly awaiting the next installment of Lyra's adventures.
added by Shortride | editPublishers Weekly

Rohmann, EricCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Torrescasana, AlbertTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tutino, AlfredoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Into this wild abyss,
The womb of nature and perhaps her grave,
Of neither sea, not shore, nor air, nor fire,
But all these in their pregnant causes mixed
Confusedly, and which thus must ever fight,
Unless the almighty maker them ordain,
His dark materials to create more worlds,
Into this wild abyss the wary fiend
Stood on the brink of hell and looked a while,
Pondering his voyage...

— John Milton, Paradise Lost, Book II
Lyra and her dæmon moved through the darkening hall, taking care to keep to one side, out of sight of the kitchen.
We are all subject to the fates. But we must all act as if we are not...or die of despair.
'The Golden Compass' was originally published in Britain, Australia and elsewhere as 'Northern Lights'
In a universe somewhat like our own, children are beginning to disappear from cities around England. For Lyra Belacqua, a half-wild orphan girl living at Jordan College, Oxford, the kidnappings are just another excuse for games, battles and tall stories - until her best friend Roger is reported missing. Vowing to rescue him, Lyra embarks upon a journey to the savage North, where physicists and theologians alike are conducting controversial research into the nature of something known only as 'Dust'. Apart from her friends the gyptians, her only guide is a curious golden instrument called an alethiometer. If she is to survive her ordeal, she will have to learn to interpret its cryptic and peculiar messages. 432

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440418321, Paperback)

Some books improve with age--the age of the reader, that is. Such is certainly the case with Philip Pullman's heroic, at times heart-wrenching novel, The Golden Compass, a story ostensibly for children but one perhaps even better appreciated by adults. The protagonist of this complex fantasy is young Lyra Belacqua, a precocious orphan growing up within the precincts of Oxford University. But it quickly becomes clear that Lyra's Oxford is not precisely like our own--nor is her world. For one thing, people there each have a personal daemon, the manifestation of their soul in animal form. For another, hers is a universe in which science, theology, and magic are closely allied:
As for what experimental theology was, Lyra had no more idea than the urchins. She had formed the notion that it was concerned with magic, with the movements of the stars and planets, with tiny particles of matter, but that was guesswork, really. Probably the stars had daemons just as humans did, and experimental theology involved talking to them.
Not that Lyra spends much time worrying about it; what she likes best is "clambering over the College roofs with Roger the kitchen boy who was her particular friend, to spit plum stones on the heads of passing Scholars or to hoot like owls outside a window where a tutorial was going on, or racing through the narrow streets, or stealing apples from the market, or waging war." But Lyra's carefree existence changes forever when she and her daemon, Pantalaimon, first prevent an assassination attempt against her uncle, the powerful Lord Asriel, and then overhear a secret discussion about a mysterious entity known as Dust. Soon she and Pan are swept up in a dangerous game involving disappearing children, a beautiful woman with a golden monkey daemon, a trip to the far north, and a set of allies ranging from "gyptians" to witches to an armor-clad polar bear.

In The Golden Compass, Philip Pullman has written a masterpiece that transcends genre. It is a children's book that will appeal to adults, a fantasy novel that will charm even the most hardened realist. Best of all, the author doesn't speak down to his audience, nor does he pull his punches; there is genuine terror in this book, and heartbreak, betrayal, and loss. There is also love, loyalty, and an abiding morality that infuses the story but never overwhelms it. This is one of those rare novels that one wishes would never end. Fortunately, its sequel, The Subtle Knife, will help put off that inevitability for a while longer. --Alix Wilber

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:41 -0400)

Accompanied by her daemon, Lyra Belacqua sets out to prevent her best friend and other kidnapped children from becoming the subject of gruesome experiments in the Far North.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,190,796 books! | Top bar: Always visible