Northern Lights (His Dark Materials) by…

Northern Lights (His Dark Materials) (original 1995; edition 1998)

by Philip Pullman

25,11157244 (4.1)2 / 741
Member:LizARees
Title:Northern Lights (His Dark Materials)
Authors:Philip Pullman
Info:Scholastic Point (1998), Edition: New edition, Paperback, 416 pages

The Golden Compass (His Dark Materials, Book 1) by Philip Pullman (1995)

Recently added byagholdier, FatherAndy, LydiaMathis, AkinMks, emma.j, SIM42, kpubmiller, ligature, Beneeta, private library
    The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis (Patangel)
    Sabriel by Garth Nix (staram)
    Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Book 1) by J. K. Rowling (Patangel)
    A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle (sturlington)
    The Neverending Story by Michael Ende (Leishai)
    Leishai: Also a story about fantasy with another world
    The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (ut.tecum.loquerer)
    Fly by Night by Frances Hardinge (Kerian)
    The Book of Three by Lloyd Alexander (StefanY)
    The Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett (bibliovermis)
    A Ring of Endless Light by Madeleine L'Engle (Anonymous user)
    The House With a Clock In Its Walls by John Bellairs (timspalding)
    The Darkangel Trilogy by Meredith Ann Pierce (VictoriaPL)
    The Witches of Willowmere by Alison Baird (mene)
    mene: "The Willowmere Chronicles" series includes daemons, but focusing more on the Ancient Greek version. "His Dark Materials" series has a parallel world where everyone has a daemon, but in a different way than the daemons in the Willowmere Chronicles.
    Pavane by Keith Roberts (timspalding)
    The Ruby in the Smoke by Philip Pullman (Aleana)
    Paradise Lost by John Milton (Jannes)
    A Face Like Glass by Frances Hardinge (Anjali.Negi)
    Stravaganza: City of Masks by Mary Hoffman (Jannes)
    Jannes: Similar themes: parallel worlds, dimension-traveling youths, splendid cities... Pullman's work is, in my opinion, far superior, but both are worth checking out if you like this sort of thing.
    Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld (Aleana)
    Mortal Engines by Philip Reeve (Jannes)
    Jannes: Epic and awe-inspiring and steampunk-ish... also surprisingly complex characters and moral ambiguity for a YA novel - just like HDM

1990s (7)
Unread books (1,080)

English (547)  Danish (6)  French (3)  German (3)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  Swedish (1)  Portuguese (1)  Dutch (1)  Finnish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (567)
I lpved yhe movie and the book so i chose this book as one of my fantasy books also !!The Golden Campass is about an orphaned girl named Lyra who has a device that can answer any questions. She and the other children have companions which are companions to their souls. The magestrium wants to destroy their companions to enslave the children but Lyra sets out to free her friend and along the way makes friends with a polar bear. Which she helps him to get the courage to fight for his crown. The scenes are amazing and the animals are fabulous. I loved watching this movie and the epic fight scences.
  KamarandaJones1 | Jul 15, 2016 |
This was a fun YA read, and I probably liked it so much because it was the first fiction book I’ve read in a *long* time. It was also reminiscent of a lot of the fantasy novels I read as a kid. I had a pretty long stint of reading non-fiction, DIY, and self-help books. Happy that my Secret Santa from last year’s SantaThing awarded me this book! Will definitely be reading more from this series. ( )
  kristi_test_05 | Jun 20, 2016 |
It seems as if Pullman is trying to get into some deep concepts with Dust and daemons and growing up, but the symbolism is so heavy and rubbed in my face so often, it has a bit of a turn-off quality. I enjoyed the story, but I found the reminders of what he was doing unnecessary and patronizing.

But perhaps that's just because this is a young adult novel, and I didn't need it to be. ( )
  shulera1 | Jun 7, 2016 |
pretty good, actually. I would have adored this series when I was 12. ( )
  Darth-Heather | May 31, 2016 |
The Golden Compass - Pullman
audio performance by multiple narrators
3 stars

By description, this sci-fi/fantasy should have everything that I would like. It’s British, even beginning in Oxford; one of my favorite fictional settings. Pullman’s shape changing personal daemons are a fantastic creation. Yes,I want one. I really wanted to like Lyra. I like the idea of a tough, irreverent, female protagonist. But did she have to be such a brat? She does improve with time. Maybe my dislike of the character has more to do with the annoying voice used by the actor narrating her part.
I’m glad I read this one. I can see why it has such great popularity, but somehow this story failed to grab me. I don’t think I will read the rest of the series.
  msjudy | May 30, 2016 |
As always, Pullman is a master at combining impeccable characterizations and seamless plotting, maintaining a crackling pace to create scene upon scene of almost unbearable tension. This glittering gem will leave readers of all ages eagerly awaiting the next installment of Lyra's adventures.
added by Shortride | editPublishers Weekly

Torrescasana, AlbertTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tutino, AlfredoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Williams, StuartCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Into this wild abyss,
The womb of nature and perhaps her grave,
Of neither sea, not shore, nor air, nor fire,
But all these in their pregnant causes mixed
Confusedly, and which thus must ever fight,
Unless the almighty maker them ordain,
His dark materials to create more worlds,
Into this wild abyss the wary fiend
Stood on the brink of hell and looked a while,
Pondering his voyage...

— John Milton, Paradise Lost, Book II
Lyra and her dæmon moved through the darkening hall, taking care to keep to one side, out of sight of the kitchen.
We are all subject to the fates. But we must all act as if we are not...or die of despair.
...this was in the seventeenth century.  Symbols and emblems were everywhere. Buildings and pictures were designed to be read like books.  Everything stood for something else.; if you had the right dictionary you could read Nature itself.
'The Golden Compass' was originally published in Britain, Australia and elsewhere as 'Northern Lights'
Please distinguish between the book, abridgements and the movie.
In a universe somewhat like our own, children are beginning to disappear from cities around England. For Lyra Belacqua, a half-wild orphan girl living at Jordan College, Oxford, the kidnappings are just another excuse for games, battles and tall stories - until her best friend Roger is reported missing. Vowing to rescue him, Lyra embarks upon a journey to the savage North, where physicists and theologians alike are conducting controversial research into the nature of something known only as 'Dust'. Apart from her friends the gyptians, her only guide is a curious golden instrument called an alethiometer. If she is to survive her ordeal, she will have to learn to interpret its cryptic and peculiar messages. 432

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440418321, Paperback)

Some books improve with age--the age of the reader, that is. Such is certainly the case with Philip Pullman's heroic, at times heart-wrenching novel, The Golden Compass, a story ostensibly for children but one perhaps even better appreciated by adults. The protagonist of this complex fantasy is young Lyra Belacqua, a precocious orphan growing up within the precincts of Oxford University. But it quickly becomes clear that Lyra's Oxford is not precisely like our own--nor is her world. For one thing, people there each have a personal daemon, the manifestation of their soul in animal form. For another, hers is a universe in which science, theology, and magic are closely allied:
As for what experimental theology was, Lyra had no more idea than the urchins. She had formed the notion that it was concerned with magic, with the movements of the stars and planets, with tiny particles of matter, but that was guesswork, really. Probably the stars had daemons just as humans did, and experimental theology involved talking to them.
Not that Lyra spends much time worrying about it; what she likes best is "clambering over the College roofs with Roger the kitchen boy who was her particular friend, to spit plum stones on the heads of passing Scholars or to hoot like owls outside a window where a tutorial was going on, or racing through the narrow streets, or stealing apples from the market, or waging war." But Lyra's carefree existence changes forever when she and her daemon, Pantalaimon, first prevent an assassination attempt against her uncle, the powerful Lord Asriel, and then overhear a secret discussion about a mysterious entity known as Dust. Soon she and Pan are swept up in a dangerous game involving disappearing children, a beautiful woman with a golden monkey daemon, a trip to the far north, and a set of allies ranging from "gyptians" to witches to an armor-clad polar bear.

In The Golden Compass, Philip Pullman has written a masterpiece that transcends genre. It is a children's book that will appeal to adults, a fantasy novel that will charm even the most hardened realist. Best of all, the author doesn't speak down to his audience, nor does he pull his punches; there is genuine terror in this book, and heartbreak, betrayal, and loss. There is also love, loyalty, and an abiding morality that infuses the story but never overwhelms it. This is one of those rare novels that one wishes would never end. Fortunately, its sequel, The Subtle Knife, will help put off that inevitability for a while longer. --Alix Wilber

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:41 -0400)

Accompanied by her daemon, Lyra Belacqua sets out to prevent her best friend and other kidnapped children from becoming the subject of gruesome experiments in the Far North.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,512,204 books! | Top bar: Always visible