Dragon Prince by Melanie Rawn

Dragon Prince (original 1988; edition 1990)

by Melanie Rawn

Member:AHS-Wolfy
Title:Dragon Prince
Authors:Melanie Rawn
Info:
Rating:**1/2
Tags:Fantasy, Dragon Prince

Dragon Prince by Melanie Rawn (1988)

Recently added byprivate library, wpisfs, EmFisher, megaelim, mguernsey, jquincy, Dragonkitty, mmarciel, kerrygiven
    Dragonflight by Anne McCaffrey (TheBooknerd)
    TheBooknerd: Both epic series feature a young but clever leader, his intrepid female "partner in crime", great world-building, and -- oh yeah! Dragons!
    Blue Moon Rising by Simon R. Green (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: Virgin princes ftw.
    Dragon Bones by Patricia Briggs (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For barbarian, Machiavellian princes (and their dragons).
    Daughter of the Blood by Anne Bishop (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: Jewels, jewels, jewels.

This book is reminiscent of Dune in certain aspects. For example, the way Andrade manipulates her sister and her brother in law, along with Rohan and Sioned chief among them, not to mention the Sunrunners' training and their oaths. It's genetic manipulation designed to bring about a faradhi prince, reminding one of the kwisatz hadarach. To compound matters, the main characters chiefly live in a desert and Rohan's followers develop an almost fanatical devotion (remind anyone of Paul Atreides?).

Despite the similarities, the book can hold its own. The villains are bad, yes, but not so bad as to be completely unlikeable. Ianthe evokes pity as well as dislike, because she seems stuck in a hopeless situation. Roelstra is the true villain and he manipulates people with a masterful stroke, only to be undone by his own manipulation. It seems he and Rohan are pretty evenly matched throughout the novel and the suspense this provokes is great.

Sioned is a powerful heroine, even if it is a little hard to pin down her character. She seems undefined, up until Ianthe's manipulation threatens to break her relationship with Rohan. At that point, her vague edges grow sharper and more defined. I still blame the dranath for her inability to conceive, but your mileage may vary.

The only problem I can see with this series is its romance. I prefer romance to remain firmly in the background as an amusing side story at most. I don't like it brought into prominence and Rohan and Sioned's seemingly perfect alliance, along with Chay and Tobin, grew nauseating. That's why I welcomed Ianthe's potential destruction, along with Sioned eventually claiming Pol. This brought a well needed dose of reality into the book, rather than reading slightly like a romance novel.

I'm curious about whether Sunrunners have ever turned completely dark. I know about the shadow-lost, who flew the sun's rays after the sun had sank and became comatose. However, I'm wondering if people like Sioned, who use their powers to achieve their own ends (like murdering that man during Rohan's race and wanting to kill Ianthe), have survived.

It would also be great if, in the upcoming novels, dragons played more of a part. In this book, dragons were on the peripheral. They were described more often than observed, and Rohan's link to the dragons isn't explained very well. Then again, Rawn seems to do this often- she would rather describe something than tell us.

All in all, though, despite its unevenness, a very enjoyable book and I look forward to the sequel. It's a shame Rawn lost her confidence and couldn't finish two trilogies after completing the Dragon Prince and Dragon Star ones. She could have been a great fantasy author in her own right. ( )
  liveshipvivacia | Apr 26, 2014 |

liveshipvivacia | Apr 26, 2014 |
I enjoyed this one. I rank it up there with Terry Brook's Shannara books. ( )
  Ginerbia | Feb 14, 2014 |
An excellent fantasy read, filled with politics, tension, and violence. While not for the faint of heart, Dragon Prince nevertheless is a compelling work of fiction, set in a vivid fantasy world, and populated by scheming characters. One of the best fantasy novels I have read recently! ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | Aug 11, 2012 |
DRAGON PRINCE
  rustyoldboat | May 28, 2011 |

Melanie Rawnprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Whelan, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
to my mother,
Alma Lucile Rawn

and to the memory of my father

Robert Dawson Rawn
Prince Zehava squinted into the sunlight and smiled his satisfaction.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0886774500, Mass Market Paperback)

Nominated for the 1989 John W. Campbell Award, this book tells the story of Rohan, who has become the new prince of the desert. Rohan seeks to bring peace to his world of divided nations. --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:50:51 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,415,444 books! | Top bar: Always visible