Oath of Gold by Elizabeth Moon

Oath of Gold (1989)

by Elizabeth Moon (Author)

688None13,779 (4.15)34
Recently added byjsfrodo, suteko, eliseph, edhell, psiphilibrary, AlisonW, private library, jaeinsa, Sethvir

Having lost all sense of her courage, Paks wanders the Eight Kingdoms lost and alone, a broken warrior scorned by the rest of society. Through her wandering she realizes she's ended back in Brewersbridge, a place where she did a great deed before. In her despair Paks visit's the Kuakgan's grove, offering all of her meager worldly possessions in tribute. The Kuakgan sets himself the task to heal Paks' illness so he can get her back on the path of her true destiny.

Oath of Gold is the third and final book of The Deed of Paksenarrion. It's a story about recovery, redemption and sacrifice. In this book we come full circle. It's great to see Paks realize just how far she's come when she revisits places she only knew as a recruit and to finally grow into her full potential.

While parts still feel somewhat like a D&D campaign, making the story predictable at times, Moon breaks away from this by the end. I was able to guess the big reveal and yet the story had enough surprises to keep it interesting.

It is a great ending to a great series. While I know Moon has written more books in the same world I hope some day she will continue Paksenarrion's story. ( )
  Narilka | Jan 20, 2014 |
As the third book in a trilogy, my review for this book necessarily has **spoilers** for the first two books, The Sheepfarmer's Daughter and Divided Allegiance.

After her capture by iynisin and subsequent debilitating fear, Paks has been wandering for some time when she finds herself back at Brewersbridge. Not sure where to go, she seeks refuge with the Kuakgan. Can he heal her where Marshals of Gird failed? Can she be used for good in the land if courage fails her?

In many ways, the story begun in The Sheepfarmer's Daughter comes full circle in Oath of Gold. One of my worries reading the first two books was that the episodic style made it hard to see the overarching storyline, but this story ties up plot lines while bringing to light the importance of earlier events in the larger scheme of things. Despite the battle scenes in the first book, this book had more disturbingly violent moments for me, sending me skimming through some passages. I had a moment, about 50 pages or so in the middle, where I got a little bored because someone's true identity was clear to me before it was to Paks, and even then it was a major plot point that made me wonder what could happen for the next 200 pages to keep my interest. But that was a bump in a generally enjoyable ride. Paks' character truly develops over the course of this novel, and it was fun to see her progression not only in this one book but in the trilogy as a whole. ( )
1 vote bell7 | Aug 25, 2010 |
Fascinating series. Keeps your interest through the whole book. ( )
  DocWalt10 | Jun 23, 2010 |
Purchased the eBook from Baen Books. ( )
  elsi | Jul 15, 2009 |
This book finishes up the original trilogy about Paks, a sheepfarmer's daughter turned soldier, then paladin-candidate. The end of book II left her in very dire condition, broken in body and mind. It was one of the most tragic ends to a middle fantasy book I've encountered, and it's driven me crazy for the past few weeks. How does Paks recover? How broken is she?

I won't give away the details (they make it fun) but Paks does recover. Sometimes a person must hit bottom before they can come back to the top, and Paks emerges stronger than before, knowing what it means to have everything - and then plummet into utter helplessness. In addition, new, amazing powers emerge, as it seems Paks didn't struggle alone through her time of darkness. She feels the urge to go on a quest, and returns to her old lord, Duke Phelan, as dark minions shadow her steps and seek to destroy her anew.

I loved this book. Paks is a wonderfully well-rounded heroine. These books explore the full character arc from nervous newbie recruit to seasoned soldier to halls of glory to being chased out of pig sties. I felt like cheering when she rediscovered her former glory, and more. I know there are a few more books set in this world, and that Elizabeth Moon is writing more. This series was delicious fun. ( )
1 vote ladycato | Mar 16, 2009 |

Moon, ElizabethAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Davies, KevinCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kanmert Sjölander, MolleTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Van Dyck, JenniferNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Oath of blood is Liart's bane
Oath of death is for the slain
Oath of stone the rockfolk swear
Oath of iron is Tir's domain,
Oath pf silver liars dare
Oath of gold will yet remain . . .
from the Oathsong of Mikeli
The village seemed faintly familiar, but most villages were much alike.

Running away to become a soldier rather than marry the man her family had chosen for her, Paksenarrion, a sheep farmer's daughter, becomes a legendary heroine to her people.

The final book in "The Deed of Paksenarrion" trilogy finds Paks waiting to fulfill her destiny to be a palladin by serving as an ordinary soldier in the Duke's company, where her growing powers alert her that evil forces are closing in on the Duke.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,490,022 books! | Top bar: Always visible