A gun for sale by Graham Greene

A gun for sale (original 1936; edition 1965)

by Graham Greene

Member:thorold
Title:A gun for sale
Authors:Graham Greene
Info:London Heinemann 1973 ix,228p 20cm
Tags:fiction

A Gun for Sale by Graham Greene (1936)

English (7)  Dutch (2)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (10)
"MURDER DIDN’T MEAN much to Raven. It was just a new job . You had to be careful. You had to use your brains. It was not a question of hatred. He had only seen the Minister once: he had been pointed out to Raven as he walked down the new housing estate between the small lit Christmas trees, an old grubby man without friends , who was said to love humanity."

Another one of Greene's crime thrillers - complete with murder, a man-hunt, a girly side-kick, an evil mastermind, and a main character who is torn apart by life's indifference.

"The only problem when you were once born was to get out of life more neatly and expeditiously than you had entered it."

I'm so ready to move past this "early" stage of Greene's writing. Luckily, I think there's only Brighton Rock left before embarking onto to a different theme.

Review originally posted on BookLikes: http://brokentune.booklikes.com/post/993955/a-gun-for-sale ( )
  BrokenTune | Aug 21, 2016 |
A psychological thriller about a hired killer. The plot twists and turns seemed almost too incredible at times but it was so well written that I swallowed all of them. There was also a surreal quality to a story written on the eve of World War Two with a political assasination possibly begining the war.
  amyem58 | Jul 11, 2014 |
Maybe even 5 stars after I have had a chance to mull it over a bit. I devoured this thriller in one gulp because I couldn't put it down. As in Brighton Rock, Greene has written a brilliant portrait of an anti-hero. Raven is (in my opinion) less of a psychopath and so I had more feeling of sympathy for him. I liked the way the story moved from Raven to Anne (the innocent girl caught up in the story) to Mather (the policeman hunting Raven and coincidentally engaged to Anne).

Greene's writing is wonderfully evocative and not a word is wasted or in excess. While I enjoyed his satires, his prose really shines in these thriller/crime novels. ( )
1 vote leslie.98 | Sep 2, 2013 |
I enjoyed this book by Graham Greene but it needs a rewrite. I found myself editing some badly constructed sentences, and the plot is ridiculous. Furthermore, events in this pre WW2 story are linked by coincidence after coincidence. The redeeming quality is the familiar narrative voice of Graham Greene, both comforting and compelling. I confess to an enthusiastic read, from first lines to a somewhat rambling conclusion, but I can give it only three stars. ( )
  Cathymacleod | Jan 20, 2013 |
I can't remember whether I've made any pronouncements on my favourite Graham Greene novel, but this one is probably going to fill that spot if nothing else has. It is the most entertaining of his "entertainments" I have read so far.

The story begins with a killer for hire by the name of Raven, who kills the Minister of War in an unnamed country. The murder is supposed to set various events in train that lead to another world war, but it's just a job to Raven until he discovers that he's been paid in stolen bank notes. How dare they! So Raven seeks to track down the people who double-crossed him even as he is being pursued by the police because he tried to use the stolen notes.

This is a very quick read but also a fascinating one, given that it was published in 1936 and it posits the rise of a second world war. The precipitating event was different in reality, but the scenario presented here is fairly plausible. We spend a great deal of time in Raven's head and come to appreciate his life circumstances, even as we shift to other characters' viewpoints and appreciate how they see the whole situation as well. (I'm being deliberately vague for fear of spoilers, and at any rate part of the fun of this book is watching it unfold -- one part actually made me almost gasp out loud on the bus, I was so surprised.)

If you like Brighton Rock, this is supposed to be its precursor and so would be interesting to look at as a point of comparison. I would also recommend this book to fans of Greene and those who like briskly moving plots coupled with substantial character study. ( )
1 vote rabbitprincess | Apr 13, 2012 |

Graham Greeneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kranz, H. B.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schaap, H.W.J.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Murder didn't mean much to Raven.
Acky was writing a long letter on the kitchen table. He had pushed his wife's mauve ink to one side and was using the best blue-black and a fountain pen which had long ceased to hold ink.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 014303930X, Paperback)

Raven is an ugly man dedicated to ugly deeds. His cold-blooded killing of a European Minister of War is an act of violence with chilling repercussions, not just for Raven himself but for the nation as a whole. The money he receives in payment for the murder is made up of stolen notes. When the first of these is traced, Raven is a man on the run. As he tracks down the agent who has been double-crossing him and attempts to elude the police, he becomes both hunter and hunted: an unwitting weapon of a strange kind of social justice.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:19 -0400)

Raven is an assassin, a hired killer, and his brutal murder of the minister of war is an act of violence with chilling repercussions, not just for Raven himself but for the nation as a whole.

Legacy Library: Graham Greene

Graham Greene has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Graham Greene's legacy profile.

See Graham Greene's author page.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,326,447 books! | Top bar: Always visible