Four Major Plays: A Doll House, The Wild…

Four Major Plays: A Doll House, The Wild Duck, Hedda Gabler and The Master… (edition 1965)

by Henrik Ibsen

Member:donutage
Title:Four Major Plays: A Doll House, The Wild Duck, Hedda Gabler and The Master Builder (Signet Classics)
Authors:Henrik Ibsen
Info:Signet (1965), Paperback
Collections:Kentucky
Tags:drama, norwegian, translation, 19c

A Doll's House / Hedda Gabler / The Master-Builder / The Wild Duck by Henrik Ibsen (Author)

Infrequently one comes across a book, a writer, who is obviously many levels above the typical tripe and hacks passed off as literature or drama. Ibsen is certainly one of the those on a much higher plane. He is noticeably intrigued by women (A Doll House and Hedda Gabler) and explores their unique and sometimes irrational conduct (I know, only from a man's point of view) in depth. If you are interested in plays, start with Ibsen. Once I started a play I just could not put it down until finished. Highly recommended. ( )
  BayanX | Jul 12, 2015 |
A Doll House: 3-act play detailing the blackmailing for forgery of a housewife and mother of three by a failed lawyer. Dramatic focus is on the crisis’ awakening of Nora to her doll-like existence as an uneducated and patronized wife and her new determination to discover herself and the world by separating from her husband and children. Some sexual innuendo.
  chosler | Jan 20, 2009 |
These plays are among Ibsen's finest and certainly most influential. Any study of 19th or early 20th century drama should include these works. No Ibsen scholar I, a thorough and complete assessment of these works eludes my abilities. Suffice it to say that drama grew up thanks to Ibsen. ( )
  AlexTheHunn | Jul 20, 2007 |

Ibsen, HenrikAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Chandler, Frank WadleighIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Borghild Dahl, writer and seer with the inner eye
Foreword: It is one of those happy accidents of literary history that Henrik Ibsen's career as a dramatist neatly coincides with the latter half of the nineteenth century.
If I'm ever to reach any understanding of myself and the things around me, I must learn to stand alone. that's why I can't stay here with you any longer. (A Doll's House)
This work represents those anthologies containing A Doll's House, The Wild Duck, Hedda Gabler, and The Master Builder. It should not be combined with any anthology containing a differing selection of plays.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451524063, Mass Market Paperback)

Among the greatest and best known of Ibsen's works, these four plays--A Doll's House, The Wild Duck, Hedda Gabler, The Master Builder--brilliantly embody his landmark contributions to the theater. Rich in symbolism and often autobiographical, each work deals convincingly with the human emotions of greed, fear, and sexual hostility, and confronts the external conflicts between reality and illusion. Reissue.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:36 -0400)

Presents four plays by nineteenth-century Norwegian dramatist Henrik Ibsen, including "A Doll House," the story of a woman whose husband expects her to be his petted little songbird, but who is, in truth, hiding a deceptive secret.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,366,063 books! | Top bar: Always visible