A Girl of the Limberlost by Gene…

A Girl of the Limberlost (original 1909; edition 1910)

by Gene Stratton-Porter, Wladyslaw T. Benda (Illustrator)

Member:mirrordrum
Title:A Girl of the Limberlost
Authors:Gene Stratton-Porter
Other authors:Wladyslaw T. Benda (Illustrator)
Info:Doubleday, Page & Co (1910), Hardcover, 485 pages
Rating:***1/2

A Girl of the Limberlost by Gene Stratton-Porter (1909)

Read ALL of her books in my teen years, own two of them....plan on re-reading them again some day...remember with such fondness, introduced me to ginseng!!...filled with mild romance, love of Nature...I recommend...G. ( )
  Gemma. | Jun 17, 2013 |
I have held onto this book for 48 hours after I read it. I reluctantly have to return it to the Hudson Library and Historical Society. This book has stayed with me. I yelled, screamed, cried a million tears as I let the words and the story line pour over me. This book has stayed with me. I wish everyone could stop what they are doing a read just a chapter a day. They like me would never be the same afterwards. ( )
  seki | May 28, 2013 |
I expected to learn about a forgotten time, a time when people worked the land, and girls wore dresses, and life was simple. But I seemed to be consumed with reflecting on the relationships in the story, and how even today, we suffer unnecessarily because of a lack of communication. Pride is a terrible thing, so is keeping secrets.
So many life lessons are learned while reading this story. All the characters have something to teach us. Gene Stratton-Porter was a great author.
Enjoyed learning about moths as well. Mrs. Comstock was my favorite character. ( )
  CSailin | May 1, 2013 |
When I visited my grandmother I would climb into the old walnut tree and sit with a book or two and a pocket full of apples, in case I got hungry and didn't want to climb down and smash walnuts with a rock and eat them. This was one of her books, and she gave it to me when I was a bit older, to keep. I loved it dearly and uncritically; I loved the heroine, the drama with her hard and bitter mother, the story of the woods and swampland.

Recently I reread it, in my own woodlands, as an environmentalist, and I thought "oh, by golly, her mom was right not to sell the land to be logged off and destroyed". And I took less kindly to the plundering of the swamps for moths to sell to collectors. (though I still loved the dress Eleanor designs)

And such is the perspective of time. ( )
  jarvenpa | Mar 31, 2013 |
I found this book surprisingly good--in an Anne of Green Gables kind of way. ( )
  nycnorma | Mar 30, 2013 |
To all girls of the Limberlost in general, and one Jeannette Helen Porter in particular.
"Elnora Comstock, have you lost your senses?" demanded the angry voice of Katharine Comstock whle she glared at her daughter.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0253203317, Paperback)

Of all the books written by Hoosier writers, Gene Stratton-Porter’s A Girl of the Limberlost is unquestionably the most cherished: the timeless story of an impoverished young girl, Elnora Comstock, growing up on the edge of the Limberlost swamp. Elnora Comstock has served as a role model for successive generations of independent young readers.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:56:26 -0400)

Deeply wounded by her embittered mother's lack of sympathy for her aspirations, Elnora finds comfort in the nearby Limberlost Swamp, whose beauty and rich abundance provide her with the means to better her life.

Indiana University Press

Two editions of this book were published by Indiana University Press.

Editions: 0253203317, 0253133203

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,479,626 books! | Top bar: Always visible