Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers

Redeeming Love (1997)

by Francine Rivers

English (134)  Dutch (1)  All (135)
Although most of the book I did enjoy, it could have been about 100 pages shorter. Just too much detail in the story telling {nothing sexual}. It is very much worth reading. Especially if you like christian fiction. This book was written based off of the Book of Hosea in the bible. And its set in the middle 1800's. I had to skip quite a few chapters. I mean I understand she was trying to set a scene in some area's and to get people to understand how she got to where she was by the end of the book but I think that could have been set with a lot less DETAIL and being so drawn out. I have read many books that have gotten their point across in under 250 pages. But thats just me. I dont need TOO MUCH detail to get the point in many cases. Especially if I already understand the situation in the story already. But she is a WONDERFUL author/writer and this is the 4th book I have read by her. I took a pause in reading THE LINEAGE OF GRACE by her and still waiting for book for to come to my library so I can finish the series {5 books in all}...3/5 ( )
  obridget2 | May 14, 2017 |
I don't read Christian books and overall not a fan of romance books. I have no idea how this book ended up in my list, but I am glad it did.

It was easy to read, characters were well established. The story was attractive, definitely a page turner. The minute I realized this was a Christian novel- which was way into the story, I thought there will be more "gag" factor. But it wasn't that way. It reminded me "Little house on the prairie" a lot. And I loved those books and the tv show.

I am glad I read it. ( )
  soontobefree | May 1, 2017 |
What a wonderful book. It will make you fall in love all over again. It was heartbreaking much of the time. I enjoyed being in the days of the gold rush. At time you want to shake the ^&*( out of Angel, Terza, Amanda whoever she is. Michae4l was such a wonderful man and I came to love Paul as well. the only thing I didn't like sbout the book is that when the author chose to end the story it all happened so quickly. I wanted it to move in slow motion and savor the love between Michael and Angel when she finally decided they truely loved each other no matter what. Based on the Biblical Book of Hosea it was wonderful and I also liked savoring the scriptural references. ( )
  jothebookgirl | Jan 3, 2017 |
I wasn't sure how to rate this book. It's written in the style of a romance novel, but in many ways 90% of it is terribly frustrating. But it's also a modernized (well, relatively speaking--gold rush, California) version of the story of Hosea and Gomer from the book of Hosea in the Bible, and so of course it's frustrating. And therefore if I'm frustrated by it, I should be looking more at myself than the characters or the author.

Angel, Paul, and Miriam all angered me at various points (some more than others--I understand some of the importance of the "Paul" side-story, but I wish it had been done differently), Michael was too perfect, and sometimes I got confused with Michael being both an allegorical version of God but *at the same time* a normal man who simply tried to point Angel to God. I had a hard time reconciling the two at times. Because if he was just a normal man, some of his actions were borderline abusive. There were also a few literary annoyances here and there (perfect-looking lovers, overly sentimental attraction descriptions).

At the same time, there was so much beauty in the romance and the ending made me cry rivers (see what I did there?), which doesn't happen often. So... this is why I don't read romance novels. But really, this is better than a romance novel, because it points us to something higher than just "falling in love with a man and living happily ever after," and I loved that about it. ( )
  LauraTwitchell | Dec 12, 2016 |
One of my all-time favorite books and authors![a:Francine Rivers|6492|Francine Rivers|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1225995933p2/6492.jpg] ( )
  sh2rose | Sep 6, 2016 |
Information from the Danish Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
Let anyone among you who is without sin, be the first to throw a stone at her.

Jesus, John 8:7
The prince of darkness is a gentleman.
Shakespeare
To those who hurt and hunger
Prologue

New England, 1835

Alex Stafford was just like Mama said.

A powerful retelling of the book of Hosea, a life-changing story of God's unconditional, redemptive, all-consuming love. California's gold country in 1850 is a time when men sold their souls for a bag of gold and women sold their bodies for a place to sleep. Angel, who expects nothing from men but betrayal, meets Michael Hosea. Her unexpected softening comes with feelings of unworthiness and fear. So Angel runs, back to the darkness. her final healing must come from the One who loves her even more than Michael does--the One who will never let her go.

A secret from Angel's past threatens to destroy her relationship with Michael Hosea in this retelling of the biblical love story of Gomer and Hosea set against the romantic backdrop of the California Gold Rush.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Francine Rivers's book Redeeming Love was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Francine Rivers's book Redeeming Love was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,464,590 books! | Top bar: Always visible