Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers

Redeeming Love (original 1997; edition 2007)

by Francine Rivers

Member:TammyPhillips
Title:Redeeming Love
Authors:Francine Rivers
Info:Multnomah Books (2007), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 480 pages
Collections:Your library, Favorites
Rating:*****

Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers (1997)

English (137)  Dutch (1)  All (138)
I really enjoyed this book. I would highly recommend it to anyone. Just read it! :) ( )
  AmyJ71 | Jun 20, 2017 |
Second read! Every woman will find themselves in this book! From despair, betrayal, hatred, unworthiness, hope, and of course love. Unfortunately, it gets an incredibly bad rap simply because the author is a Christian. A must read for every woman! ( )
  michellejester | Jun 17, 2017 |
I didn't get very far into this before realising that it was R rated. Luckily I got it free so haven't wasted any money and can happily throw it away. One of the most troubling things about this book is that there are a number of reviews from non-Christians commenting on the graphic nature of this book and stating that they wouldn't have thought the writer was a Christian. That alone explains why Christian authors need to be careful with their content, they are representing Jesus.

I am aware that this is meant to be based on the book of Hosea in the Bible. However, Rivers presents her main character as a prostitute prior to her marriage...

What are the moral implications of God’s command for Hosea to marry a prostitute? It appears best to see Gomer as chaste at the time of marriage to Hosea, only later having become an immoral woman. The words “take yourself a wife of harlotry” are to be understood proleptically, i.e., looking to the future. An immoral woman could not serve as a picture of Israel coming out of Egypt (2:15; 9:10), who then later wandered away from God (11:1). Chapter 3 describes Hosea taking back his wife, who had been rejected because of adultery, a rejection that was unjustifiable if Hosea had married a prostitute with full knowledge of her character.
(https://www.gty.org/library/bible-introductions/MSB28/hosea)

The first few chapters dealt with child rape, child trafficking, brothels, drunkenness, adultery, death.....that was enough. If Rivers was trying to relay events in Hosea, I don't understand why she felt the need to include child rape and trafficking in her narrative. It just makes a tragic story even more depraved. The point of Hosea is God's love towards unfaithful Israel despite their waywardness. It is not focused on the graphic exploits of Gomer.

I don't recommend this book which is full of graphic detail for shock value. For those who will no doubt comment that the book of Hosea also contains graphic scenes of a similar nature. It doesn't. The whole focus is on Israel's unfaithfulness and God's pending judgement. It is not on the details of Gomer's sin.

The popularity of this book and some of the comments are representative of the "God as love" or some kind of "divine romancer" beliefs that are prevalent, as if God needs us and is desperate for us, rather than the other way around. The author writes that God says, "Though you deny me, I love you with an everlasting love." That is not in line with Scripture, where God does not love with an everlasting love those who deny Him. God hates sin (and sinners) and demands obedience. Yes, God loves us and forgives us when we sin if we approach Him through trust in Jesus, but that doesn't give us a licence to sin or to presume upon His grace. Redemption (the supposed theme of this book) should lead to a complete transformation of heart and life.

https://answersingenesis.org/answers/biblical-authority-devotional/does-god-hate-anyone/ ( )
  sparkleandchico | Jun 2, 2017 |
Although most of the book I did enjoy, it could have been about 100 pages shorter. Just too much detail in the story telling {nothing sexual}. It is very much worth reading. Especially if you like christian fiction. This book was written based off of the Book of Hosea in the bible. And its set in the middle 1800's. I had to skip quite a few chapters. I mean I understand she was trying to set a scene in some area's and to get people to understand how she got to where she was by the end of the book but I think that could have been set with a lot less DETAIL and being so drawn out. I have read many books that have gotten their point across in under 250 pages. But thats just me. I dont need TOO MUCH detail to get the point in many cases. Especially if I already understand the situation in the story already. But she is a WONDERFUL author/writer and this is the 4th book I have read by her. I took a pause in reading THE LINEAGE OF GRACE by her and still waiting for book for to come to my library so I can finish the series {5 books in all}...3/5 ( )
  obridget2 | May 14, 2017 |
I don't read Christian books and overall not a fan of romance books. I have no idea how this book ended up in my list, but I am glad it did.

It was easy to read, characters were well established. The story was attractive, definitely a page turner. The minute I realized this was a Christian novel- which was way into the story, I thought there will be more "gag" factor. But it wasn't that way. It reminded me "Little house on the prairie" a lot. And I loved those books and the tv show.

I am glad I read it. ( )
  soontobefree | May 1, 2017 |
Information from the Danish Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
Let anyone among you who is without sin, be the first to throw a stone at her.

Jesus, John 8:7
The prince of darkness is a gentleman.
Shakespeare
To those who hurt and hunger
Prologue

New England, 1835

Alex Stafford was just like Mama said.

A powerful retelling of the book of Hosea, a life-changing story of God's unconditional, redemptive, all-consuming love. California's gold country in 1850 is a time when men sold their souls for a bag of gold and women sold their bodies for a place to sleep. Angel, who expects nothing from men but betrayal, meets Michael Hosea. Her unexpected softening comes with feelings of unworthiness and fear. So Angel runs, back to the darkness. her final healing must come from the One who loves her even more than Michael does--the One who will never let her go.

A secret from Angel's past threatens to destroy her relationship with Michael Hosea in this retelling of the biblical love story of Gomer and Hosea set against the romantic backdrop of the California Gold Rush.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Francine Rivers's book Redeeming Love was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Francine Rivers's book Redeeming Love was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,086,457 books! | Top bar: Always visible