Veinte mil leguas de viaje submarino by…

Veinte mil leguas de viaje submarino (original 1870; edition 2012)

by Jules Verne, Agustín Comotto (Illustrator)

10,321153279 (3.73)1 / 323
Member:Noemi_Paris
Title:Veinte mil leguas de viaje submarino
Authors:Jules Verne
Other authors:Agustín Comotto (Illustrator)
Info:Nórdica Libros (2012), Edition: 1ª ed., 1ª imp., Perfect Paperback
Collections:Literatura Francesa
Rating:***

20,000 Leagues under the Sea by Jules Verne (1870)

English (142)  Italian (3)  Spanish (3)  Swedish (2)  Portuguese (1)  Danish (1)  Greek (1)  All (153)
I remember reading this as a young teen, but I'm pretty sure now that I did not read the unabridged work for I did not recall much. Such rich language (in the English translation ... I neither speak nor read French)! And quite an encyclopedic narrative of the known marine flora and fauna, tending toward the dull and academic, but interesting nonetheless. Better appreciated as an adult - I doubt I wold have gotten much out of it as a teen. Just knowing th historical context of what technology as available at the writing and what he dreamed up....wonderful. ( )
  Razinha | May 23, 2017 |
I really enjoyed the descriptions ( )
  nx74defiant | Apr 30, 2017 |
I loved this story when I was a kid and my rating is based on those memories. I doubt I would rate it lower if I read it again.
  Aneris | Apr 22, 2017 |
A classic that I had always meant to read . . .
The first thing I learned was that I had always been in error in my expectations from the title. I had thought that the ship had descended 20,000 leagues under the ocean, but, of course, the submarine had merely undertaken a journey of 20,000 league while submerged. As a result, the speculative science basis for the book was much better grounded, and Verne gets many things right - along with a series of clangers.
I had recently read Edgar Allan Poe, and found many similarities in their approach to early science fiction (to creating the genre of science fiction, really).
A good read.
Read March 2017 ( )
  mbmackay | Mar 9, 2017 |
Wondrous adventures with Captain Nemo and his crew. The book will captivate you, and you'll never get rid of it. Great classic.
  hermione8665 | Feb 17, 2017 |
I really enjoyed the descriptions

Verne, Julesprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wilson, Edward ArthurIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Seven Novels by Jules Verne

20,000 leagues under the sea [and] Around the moon by Jules Verne

Journey to the Center of the Earth / Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea / Round the World in Eighty Days by Jules Verne

Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea, The Mysterious Island, Journey to the Center of the Earth, Around the World in Eighty Days by Jules Verne

Amazing Journeys: Journey to the Center of the Earth, From the Earth to the Moon, Circling the Moon, 20,000 Leagues Under the Seas, and Around the World in 80 Days by Jules Verne

The Annotated Jules Verne: Twenty Thousand Leagues under the Sea by Jules Verne

Contains

Is retold in

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

The year 1866 was marked by a strange event, an unexplainable occurrence which is undoubtedly still fresh in everyone's memory.
In the year 1866 the whole maritime population of Europe and America was excited by a mysterious and inexplicable phenomenon.
We may brave human laws, but we cannot resist natural ones.
I leave you at liberty to shut yourself up; cannot I be allowed the same?
Like you, I am willing to live obscure, in the frail hope of bequeathing one day, to future time, the result of my labours.
At ten o'clock in the evening the sky was on fire. The atmosphere was streaked with vivid lightning. I could not bear the brightness of it; while the captain, looking at it, seemed to envy the spirit of the tempest.
This LT work should be editions containing the complete text of Jules Verne's 1869 novel, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea. Please do not combine it with any abridgements, adaptations, young readers' versions (see working list, below), pop-up books, Chick-fil-A editions, graphic novels, annotated editions, multi-title compendiums, single volumes of a multi-volume edition, or other, similar works based on the original.
Thank you.

Working list of abridged editions not to be combined with the standard editions - Best Loved Books for Young Children, Children's Classics, Great Illustrated Classics, Treasury of Illustrated Classics, Classics Illustrated, Classic Starts Series, Saddleback Illustrated, Stepping Stone Books, Now Age Classics, Young Collectors, (believe it or not) American Short Stories, Deans Children's Classics, anything by Malvina Vogel, Van Gool Adventure Series, Bring the Classics to Life,

Note:
The 1990 ed. of the Great Illustrated Classics contains the complete text (per L of C), ISBN 0895773473.
Please do not combine this work with either the film adaptations or with Jules Verne's original book. If you have a copy of this work, please consider supplying the name of the director (if it is a film adaptation) or the name of the author (if it is a book).
A chimera of crappy Amazon third-party reseller data that has "20,000 leagues under the sea
by Jules Verne" as the apparent author/title but the ISBN and associated cover of the Denoël/Présence du Futur french translation of "A Canticle for Leibowitz".
Annotated editions of works may include substantially more material than the original work. Thus, annotated editions generally should not be combined with un-annotated editions.

Retells the adventures of a French professor and his two companions as they sail above and below the world's oceans as prisoners on the fabulous electric submarine of the deranged Captain Nemo.

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400100704, 1400108497

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,468,793 books! | Top bar: Always visible