The outlaw demon wails by Kim Harrison

The outlaw demon wails (edition 2008)

by Kim Harrison

Member:DrLed
Title:The outlaw demon wails
Authors:Kim Harrison
Info:New York : EOS, c2008.
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:Paranormal

The Outlaw Demon Wails by Kim Harrison

2008 (21) Cincinnati (15) demons (86) ebook (20) elves (30) fantasy (154) fiction (114) hardcover (20) Hollows (26) horror (38) kim harrison (14) Kindle (20) magic (48) mystery (26) paranormal (85) paranormal romance (21) pixies (38) Rachel Morgan (103) Rachel Morgan series (14) read (29) romance (30) series (37) sff (16) supernatural (42) The Hollows (49) to-read (37) urban fantasy (183) vampires (170) werewolves (55) witches (156)

I love the whole hollows series. Rachel, Ivy and Jenks pull it off time and time again. Magic, mystery and danger follow them where ever they go.

Harrison just keepings getting better. Fantastic series for people who like urban fantasy but find the sexual overload necessary. I look forward to each and every book. ( )
  NicolefromCarmel | May 5, 2014 |
This is one of my all-time favorite series. And Marguerite Gavin is spectacular in bringing all the other books in the series to life. As you will see if you look at my reviews, you will see I own a LOT of books, and many, many on audio.

However, I can't STAND this narrator! She is, in a word, horrible. Whomever made the decision to have her do this book should be fired immediately, and the book should be redone by Marguerite. I will buy it in audio in that case. However, with this narrator, I am forced to fall back on my Nook and just read it. A shame. This is SUCH a good series, and a bad reader can turn buyers against a series just on the fact that some people should never, ever be narrators. ( )
  soireadthisbooktoday | May 4, 2014 |
This series can be hit or miss for me. I love the world that Harrison has built and there are some excellent secondary characters. Really, there's so much that I do like about it that it should be one of my absolute favorite series. But I cannot stand the Rachel/Ivy dynamic. It was a big part of the last book, so much so that I almost couldn't finish it so I went into this one with some trepidation.

But luckily, it wasn't as big a part of this story. Don't get me wrong, as soon as they start their bite me/don't bite me/sleep with me/don't sleep with me thing the whole story grinds to a halt for me. It's like quicksand, I try to read faster but it feels like I'm slowing down. Fortunately, there were only a few scenes with this dynamic. Yay!

Most of the story concerns Rachel, her demon problems and the continuation (or extinction?) of the Elves. Some of my favorite characters, Trent, Ceri, Quen, and Al have large roles. I can't say too much about what those roles are as so much has evolved with these characters over the series that anything I say may be a spoiler for someone who hasn't read this far.

Overall, for me, this one marked a return to the form of the first three books in the series, all of which I really enjoyed. And there are some revelations about Rachel's past and deals that she entered into for the future that make me more optimistic about the next one again. ( )
  CCleveland | Nov 27, 2013 |
Where do I start, this is by far my favorite book in The Hollows Series so far. It's an Urban Fantasy and nothing like anything I've read in the genre before. I always look forward to reading this series because I love reading about the characters and seeing where they'll go next.

Rachel Morgan is at it again in this one. Working with Ivy and Jenks, while trying to live with them (which is always interesting when the pixies move into the church during the cold.. haha). Trent, Al, Marshall and Rachel's Mom all have rather big parts in The Outlaw Demon Wails also. Al is trying to kill Rachel which isn't a huge surprise he has never really liked her. Trent seems to think it is Rachel's job to save the Elf species and wants her to into the Ever-After to help him. With all this going on it results in a fast-pasted story that just keeps you coming back for more. I can honestly say with this series I didn't just have one favorite character. It was like being pulled in multiple directions.. I enjoyed learning more about them all.

There were a couple scenes that seemed to have a really big impact. Rachel and Ivy came to a turning point in their relationship and I was actually happy when it happened because I never really cared for that part of the story anyways. Also Rachel found out something about her parents that helped her understand why she could do what she was can. I'm loving where this series is going. All of the twists thrown into this book were interesting. I look forward to reading where it leads the characters.

Kim Harrison's writing style is really smooth and seems to have a natural flow to it. There isn't anything about her style that I don't like. I was a little shocked while reading with all the twists and such, but it's a good shocked. i will for sure continue with The Hollows. Rachel is a very interesting character and I can't wait to see what happens next. I would recommend The Outlaw Demon Wails to anyone that loves a well built world chalk full of supernatural elements. ( )
  Krisrich85 | Oct 8, 2013 |
I can tell if a book is good if I almost miss my metro stops on the way to and from work. I really like this series but this one has me confused. Parts of it I really liked and parts I kept getting distracted by things going on around me while commuting to and from work.

I loved the blood drinking scene between Ivy and Rachel. Seriously, will they ever hook up?? Seriously need a good lesbian vampire story. I didn't like all the crap with Al the demon as it seems so rehashed from previous books in the series. But I suppose there always has to be characters you don't like. Fortunately, the parts with Al are limited and when it goes to the back burner, the story line gets better.

Another thing I liked was more filling in of Rachel's history including information on her father. I also liked the hopefully new character Bis, who is a Gargoyle. Lots of potential there. I'm going to give this book 4 stars despite the issue with Al that I have because the series is really good. But I'd prefer to give it 3 1/2 stars as I kept getting distracted while reading it.

Quotes from the book that I like:

"You little will-o'-wisp of a ghost fart."
"Damn, that's more freaky than a fairy's third birthday party"
"No one in the movies ever looks up until the saliva starts dripping down."
"Tink's Dildo, I'm leaking enough dust to be a lighting rod"
"Tink's Tampons"
"Twitterpated"
"Oh for the sweet humpin love of Tink"
  MerryMeerkat | Sep 26, 2013 |
To the guy who knows the more things change, the weirder it gets
I leaned over the glass counter, squinting at the price of the high-grade redwood rods, safe in their airtight glass coffins like Snow White.
COPYRIGHT PAGE NOTICES:

This book is a work of fiction. The characters, incidents, and dialogue are drawn from the author's imagination and are not to be construed as real. Any resemblance to actual events or persons, living or dead, is entirely coincidental.

No part of this book may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without written permission except in the case of brief quotations embodied in critical articles and reviews. For information address HarperCollins Publishers, 10 East 53rd Street, New York, NY 10022.

Library of Congress Cataloging-in-Publication Data has been applied for.
UK title: Where Demons Dare

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061149829, Mass Market Paperback)

When you dance with demons, you lay your soul on the line . . .

In the Hollows, where the natural and the supernatural co-exist—not always peacefully—desperate times often call for unorthodox measures. But bounty hunter-witch Rachel Morgan did the absolutely unthinkable to save the lives of her friends: she willingly trafficked in forbidden demon magic. And now her sins have come home to haunt her.

As Rachel hunts for the truth behind a terrifying murder, the discovery of a shocking family secret is about to throw her entire life into question. And the long-lost ancient knowledge she seeks resides in the demonic ever-after.

But there are some lines that should never be crossed—like the one Rachel Morgan's stepping over . . . again!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:15 -0400)

To save the lives of her friends, Rachel did the unthinkable: she willingly trafficked in forbidden demon magic. And now her sins are coming home to haunt her. As Rachel searches for the truth behind a terrifying murder, an even greater menace threatens, for the demon Algaliarept will stop at nothing to claim her, and the discovery of a shocking family secret throws Rachel's entire life into question. If she is ever to live free, Rachel must first walk willingly into the demonic ever-after in search of long-lost ancient knowledge. But when you dance with demons, you lay your soul on the line ... and there are some lines that should never be crossed.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,250,152 books! | Top bar: Always visible