The outlaw demon wails by Kim Harrison

The outlaw demon wails (edition 2008)

by Kim Harrison

Member:DrLed
Title:The outlaw demon wails
Authors:Kim Harrison
Info:New York : EOS, c2008.
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:Paranormal

The Outlaw Demon Wails by Kim Harrison

This review shall start with full nods to the book by even discussing the title. Kim Harrison's love of Clint Eastwood spawned her humorous title twists for each Hollows book. The Outlaw Demon Wails is a more easily-noticed tribute title. Right on.

I will always think of this novel as a massive turning point in the series for Rachel, with one of the best endings, and the biggest edge-on-your-seats-have-to-read-more-NOW resolution.

Plot wise, it's a goodie. Seems Al is in trouble even worse than before and not being shy about telling Rachel about it. He needs her help to get him out of the gutters, of course planning to torture and kill her afterward. I can see why the girl says no. Meanwhile Rachel is encountering a situation she thought would NEVER happen to her in a thousand years – her own counsel, community, whatever, is turning it's back on her, labeling her a “big bad.” Always seeing herself as acting for the good of others and following a moral code, this stings. Prepped up by the support of constant friends, she embarks on a new, dangerous journey to end Al's terror over her once and for all, tossing in the bone of helping another species out.

Let's just say that the twists and turns in this one make roller coasters look amateurish. Rachel finds out mega news about her father, discovers a surprising revelation about herself, and ends up having to pair with unlikely allies to get the job done. There's some massive character interaction changes in this one.

Rachel and Ivy again try to “bond” - really it's nothing more than beating a dead horse now and tries the reader's patience rather than progress the storyline.

We get a lot of Trent time, which is great at the end but sucky at the beginning. He again irritates me with his smugness and I turned a cold shoulder to him when he cruelly reveals something to Rachel about the most painful part of her life and childhood just to be petty. I get he was grieving, but still, Rachel herself wouldn't sink that low. If she was that kind, I wouldn't be such a fan of her as a protagonist. He was amusing in the Halloween get-up and endearing in a the skating rink, however, and their discussions while on the “voyage” after the climax intrigued me. He then irritated me again by being unreasonably ungrateful for Rachel's sacrifices.

Marshall just isn't that exciting, folks. He's a nice guy who's kind of just there. I never saw Kim as putting him as a huge love interest or anything for Rachel. It's too soon as Kisten. But a hot enough scene did erupt. Not because of Marshall himself though (anyone else turned off by growing in eyebrows and basically being hairless?), but because of the exploration of the power pull. I hold no anger toward him for how it turns out when she is let down by the witch community, and it's clear Rachel didn't either. He didn't have enough invested to sacrifice everything by that point.

I will admit the very beginning of the book with Al in the charm store was a little too cheesy and forced, especially with the caliber Kim's writing style usually is, but the other scenes with the demon mesmerized me as usual. There is especially a potent kitchen scene where the changes start shifting, and the end and how it all turns out almost made me do a literal high five and cheer. Their conversation in the park turned out to be one of my favorite scenes in the entire series.

Toss in Newt, Minias, and additional demon law and exploration of the Ever After, and this book climbed even further up my reading happy pole.

Ryn Cormel's entrance was also one of my favorite scenes of the series. I'm referring to Ivy once again obliviously embarrassing Rachel to death with the mention of the “vamp guide” in front of him. She has run into the funniest moments because of that book (enter two awkward bus conversations.) It would be neat if there could be a companion guide to the series published, “The Vampire Dating Guide.” Of course this could never happen since so much of it is clearly...ahem...pretty graphic.

The Outlaw Demon Wails is one of the best of the series. The characters shine, it's constant turns and twists and excitement. The ending rocks and the change isn't something I could have anticipated, but loved it when it arrived. It feels now so natural I couldn't imagine the series of ever having gone any other path. The only bad thing I can think of is the slightly cheesy beginning and that the Quen scene was a bit too drawn out and melodramatic. If you're a fan of the series and have read 1-5, it would be mentally damaging to not grab this one ASAP. ( )
  ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |

The Outlaw Demon Wails is one of the best of the series. The characters shine, it's constant turns and twists and excitement. The ending rocks and the change isn't something I could have anticipated, but loved it when it arrived. It feels now so natural I couldn't imagine the series of ever having gone any other path. If you're a fan of the series and have read 1-5, it would be mentally damaging to not grab this one ASAP. ( )
  ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
I absolutely adored Rachel in this installment! She's finally growing up, learning from her poor decisions and carrying herself with more confidence. She's also going through a LOT of changes. There wasn't quite as much action in this book compared to the others, but it was an important installment plot wise for the series and still highly entertaining. Rachel learns the truth about her father along with a few more surprises concerning her family. I thought she handled it well and could identify with the mixture of confusion, grief, and betrayal she felt. She kept her chin up and forged ahead. I was proud of her for a change, if one can be proud of a fictional character.

Meanwhile, it's all hands on deck. We see almost all of the characters (at least for a little while). I do hope Harrison addresses Kisten's murder in the future so Ivy and Rachel get a little resolution revenge for him. It was great to see Marshal and I was tickled to death that Rachel didn't screw everything up by sleeping with him. That would've really destroyed any warm fuzzies I had left for her after so much waffling between Nick/Kist/Ivy and back again.

This is not a book you want to skip in the series. We are given so many answers, or partial answers, to our questions. Things are set up now to take Rachel in a new direction, yet the door is wide open for all kinds of trouble and excitement. Loved the scenes with Rachel's mother, thrilled about Ceri's surprise, a little worried about Rachel's latest bargain, but it'll make things interesting. I still don't care that much for Ivy, but at least she's not quite as mental as she has been. Trent ticked me off. I've always thought of him as a "bad guy" with "good intentions." Either he's hiding something really big, or his true character is coming out. He was so selfish and abrasive and in some place downright mean! I've been harboring hope that somehow, in the crazy scheme of things, Rachel and he would have a crazy, passionate, life changing romance. Now he'll be lucky if she doesn't kill him in the next book! Ah, well... I can dream.

This would've been a five star read for me if it hadn't been for the narrator. I couldn't tell some of her voices apart and she did nothing to try and mimic what Marguerite had created in previous books. It was like space aliens had replaced the characters with different inflections and attitudes. Listening to Jenks dialogue was a PAINFUL shriek. I almost sent it back to the library in lieu of the e-book. Thank goodness they went back to the original narrator for the next book.
  Becky_McKenna | Mar 10, 2016 |
I mistakenly thought that she had another book just published. The title kept sounding familiar and I forgot all about her saying that they were printing in hardbound her older books. So anyway I didn't want to be behind so I jumped in and started reading the first chapter of this. Of course it's awesome! But I really do need to finish Elijah because Damien is coming from the library this week.

Awesome read! So looking forward to the next one to see how Rachel deals with Al and Trent. ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Feb 7, 2016 |
Another awesome Rachel Morgan book! A LOT of past questions are answered, which gave this book a different feel than some of her previous works, which tended to open more doors than close them. Even though many questions were answered, there are definitely more out there that are still a mystery, so it's clear this series has no end in sight. Which is fine by me! It's by far my favorite of the genre. :D ( )
  chessakat | Feb 5, 2016 |
To the guy who knows the more things change, the weirder it gets
I leaned over the glass counter, squinting at the price of the high-grade redwood rods, safe in their airtight glass coffins like Snow White.
COPYRIGHT PAGE NOTICES:

This book is a work of fiction. The characters, incidents, and dialogue are drawn from the author's imagination and are not to be construed as real. Any resemblance to actual events or persons, living or dead, is entirely coincidental.

No part of this book may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without written permission except in the case of brief quotations embodied in critical articles and reviews. For information address HarperCollins Publishers, 10 East 53rd Street, New York, NY 10022.

Library of Congress Cataloging-in-Publication Data has been applied for.
UK title: Where Demons Dare

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061149829, Mass Market Paperback)

When you dance with demons, you lay your soul on the line . . .

In the Hollows, where the natural and the supernatural co-exist—not always peacefully—desperate times often call for unorthodox measures. But bounty hunter-witch Rachel Morgan did the absolutely unthinkable to save the lives of her friends: she willingly trafficked in forbidden demon magic. And now her sins have come home to haunt her.

As Rachel hunts for the truth behind a terrifying murder, the discovery of a shocking family secret is about to throw her entire life into question. And the long-lost ancient knowledge she seeks resides in the demonic ever-after.

But there are some lines that should never be crossed—like the one Rachel Morgan's stepping over . . . again!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:34 -0400)

To save the lives of her friends, Rachel did the unthinkable: she willingly trafficked in forbidden demon magic. And now her sins are coming home to haunt her. As Rachel searches for the truth behind a terrifying murder, an even greater menace threatens, for the demon Algaliarept will stop at nothing to claim her, and the discovery of a shocking family secret throws Rachel's entire life into question. If she is ever to live free, Rachel must first walk willingly into the demonic ever-after in search of long-lost ancient knowledge. But when you dance with demons, you lay your soul on the line ... and there are some lines that should never be crossed.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,634,283 books! | Top bar: Always visible