The outlaw demon wails by Kim Harrison

The outlaw demon wails (edition 2008)

by Kim Harrison

Member:DrLed
Title:The outlaw demon wails
Authors:Kim Harrison
Info:New York : EOS, c2008.
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:Paranormal

The Outlaw Demon Wails by Kim Harrison

Another good book from Kim Harrison. This is the 6th book in the series. In this instalment we get closer to finding out who murdered Kisten and what Trent's father really did when he cured Rachel as a child. We get to meet Rachel's mother who has been keeping a secret all of Rachel's life which has been affecting her mental health but once it's out in the open she seems a lot better. Rachel seems to think that her mother is harmless would be mortified if she knew anything about Rachel's life but in fact she's fiesty and surprisingly understanding.

There are a couple of threads to this book, one where Ceri falls pregnant and to ensure the child is born healthy they need a pure sample of elf DNA which can only be found in the ever-after. And the other is about Al being summoned out of his prison cell in the ever-after and set free to reek havoc every night. He comes straight for Rachel and attempts to kill her. She has to find away to keep him from hurting her and her family and friends.

I really enjoyed this one especially when we get see Trent so helpless despite all of his money.
  Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |
This installment takes the story of Rachel Morgan to new heights. Harrison does a fantastic job of showing character growth and development. Like the previous books, the plot moves rapidly with many twists and turns. The unpredictable nature of the story keeps the reader hooked to see what will happen next. Each book in the Hollows series is better than the last. A real pleasure in a crowded genre. ( )
  ficmuse | Aug 13, 2014 |
I love the whole hollows series. Rachel, Ivy and Jenks pull it off time and time again. Magic, mystery and danger follow them where ever they go.

Harrison just keepings getting better. Fantastic series for people who like urban fantasy but find the sexual overload necessary. I look forward to each and every book. ( )
  NicolefromCarmel | May 5, 2014 |
This is one of my all-time favorite series. And Marguerite Gavin is spectacular in bringing all the other books in the series to life. As you will see if you look at my reviews, you will see I own a LOT of books, and many, many on audio.

However, I can't STAND this narrator! She is, in a word, horrible. Whomever made the decision to have her do this book should be fired immediately, and the book should be redone by Marguerite. I will buy it in audio in that case. However, with this narrator, I am forced to fall back on my Nook and just read it. A shame. This is SUCH a good series, and a bad reader can turn buyers against a series just on the fact that some people should never, ever be narrators. ( )
  soireadthisbooktoday | May 4, 2014 |
This series can be hit or miss for me. I love the world that Harrison has built and there are some excellent secondary characters. Really, there's so much that I do like about it that it should be one of my absolute favorite series. But I cannot stand the Rachel/Ivy dynamic. It was a big part of the last book, so much so that I almost couldn't finish it so I went into this one with some trepidation.

But luckily, it wasn't as big a part of this story. Don't get me wrong, as soon as they start their bite me/don't bite me/sleep with me/don't sleep with me thing the whole story grinds to a halt for me. It's like quicksand, I try to read faster but it feels like I'm slowing down. Fortunately, there were only a few scenes with this dynamic. Yay!

Most of the story concerns Rachel, her demon problems and the continuation (or extinction?) of the Elves. Some of my favorite characters, Trent, Ceri, Quen, and Al have large roles. I can't say too much about what those roles are as so much has evolved with these characters over the series that anything I say may be a spoiler for someone who hasn't read this far.

Overall, for me, this one marked a return to the form of the first three books in the series, all of which I really enjoyed. And there are some revelations about Rachel's past and deals that she entered into for the future that make me more optimistic about the next one again. ( )
  CCleveland | Nov 27, 2013 |
To the guy who knows the more things change, the weirder it gets
I leaned over the glass counter, squinting at the price of the high-grade redwood rods, safe in their airtight glass coffins like Snow White.
COPYRIGHT PAGE NOTICES:

This book is a work of fiction. The characters, incidents, and dialogue are drawn from the author's imagination and are not to be construed as real. Any resemblance to actual events or persons, living or dead, is entirely coincidental.

No part of this book may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without written permission except in the case of brief quotations embodied in critical articles and reviews. For information address HarperCollins Publishers, 10 East 53rd Street, New York, NY 10022.

Library of Congress Cataloging-in-Publication Data has been applied for.
UK title: Where Demons Dare

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061149829, Mass Market Paperback)

When you dance with demons, you lay your soul on the line . . .

In the Hollows, where the natural and the supernatural co-exist—not always peacefully—desperate times often call for unorthodox measures. But bounty hunter-witch Rachel Morgan did the absolutely unthinkable to save the lives of her friends: she willingly trafficked in forbidden demon magic. And now her sins have come home to haunt her.

As Rachel hunts for the truth behind a terrifying murder, the discovery of a shocking family secret is about to throw her entire life into question. And the long-lost ancient knowledge she seeks resides in the demonic ever-after.

But there are some lines that should never be crossed—like the one Rachel Morgan's stepping over . . . again!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:15 -0400)

To save the lives of her friends, Rachel did the unthinkable: she willingly trafficked in forbidden demon magic. And now her sins are coming home to haunt her. As Rachel searches for the truth behind a terrifying murder, an even greater menace threatens, for the demon Algaliarept will stop at nothing to claim her, and the discovery of a shocking family secret throws Rachel's entire life into question. If she is ever to live free, Rachel must first walk willingly into the demonic ever-after in search of long-lost ancient knowledge. But when you dance with demons, you lay your soul on the line ... and there are some lines that should never be crossed.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,980,818 books! | Top bar: Always visible