The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar and Six…

The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar and Six More (1977)

by Roald Dahl

English (25)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (27)
Sometimes, one is just not sure what category to put a Roald Dahl story. They’re written to be enjoyed, to be provocative, to bypass adults and speak directly to children’s psyches, and they certainly are birthed from a wellspring of imagination that is entirely unique in the world of children’s literature. Legions of fans no doubt have their favorites, such as James and the Giant Peach, The Fantastic Mr.Fox, and Willy Wonka. Fewer still are the Dahl connoisseurs, who likely have read this collection of short stories originally published in 1977. These are complex, compelling, and complicated stories for more mature listeners. Mature not in an age-related sense, but in literary way: there are 10 year old boys who will hear a Dahl yarn (The Swan comes to mind) and forever be moved and changed, yet others who may not have the mental acuity to stick with the story, have been suckled on the immediate gratification that is the Wimpy Kid gestalt. Dahl rewards listeners - the patient and attuned listeners - with stories that illuminate the meanness of children, the tenderness of a mother, or the greed of a Henry Sugar. The narration in this audio recording is spot on and superb: Andrew Scott’s voice with its British Isle lilt, is intimate. At times, it is as if we are all huddled together around a flashlight, long past our bedtimes, listening to Scott softly whisper these finely woven tales. And we, his engrossed audience, hang on his every word. ( )
  Mad.River.Librarian | Apr 23, 2014 |
Not a children's book ... definitely interesting, but considering the stories are about speeding, smoking, stealing, killing animals, gambling, tying someone up on train tracks and war, I wouldn't read this to my kids. Or give it to them. Until maybe ... 13? Or so? The Henry Sugar story is the most fascinating, but I was also very intrigued by his story about how he became a writer. ( )
  AmberTheHuman | Aug 30, 2013 |
Roald Dahl is one of my all time favourite authors, and this book is just incredible with short stories that each shine of their own accord. He writes with such a uniqueness that no one can hold a candle to his humour and love for big words.
The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar is one that has the ability to make you believe in the presence of magic and other unexplainable things.
The Boy who talked to animals is a wonderfully crafted beautiful story that pulls at your heartstrings and makes you feel proud of the people willing to stand up for what they think is right.
The Hitchhiker; is my one of my favourites within this book, because I too wish I knew the art of a being a fingersmith (Read the book if you want to know what a fingersmith is ... and it is probably not at all what you are thinking :P)
The Mildenhall Treasure is an amazing true story about a treasure that was indeed found and Mr Dahl was able to interview the families involved to get the real story, which is absolutely brilliant.
The Swan is an extremely sad story that features a lot of bullying down by two fifteen year old boys, one which has been given a rifle for his birthday and decides to use to harass Peter, it features animal cruelty as well and even though these are things that extremely upsetting and would not sit right with a lot of people it happens all the time and sometimes people need to see it in a book to understand it and to have an emotional attachment to the issue and for making a point out of something as horrendous as this I applaud Mr Dahl.

I love every single Roald Dahl book I have ever read and this one is no different :D
  MikkyZ | Aug 29, 2013 |

MikkyZ | Aug 29, 2013 |
this was great! i loved every second of it...as soon as i'm back in the states, i intend to purchase my very own copy. dahl is a great writer: concise and powerful and immensely descriptive. i hope to learn a few things from him...and read much, much more! ( )
  anya_b | Dec 21, 2010 |

Roald Dahlprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Blake, QuentinIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fritz-Crone, PelleTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated with affection and sympathy to all young people (including my own son and three daughters) who are going through that long and difficult metamorphosis when they are no longer children and have not yet become adults.
Not so long ago I decided to spend a few days in the West Indies.
Table of Contents:

The Boy Who Talked With Animals

The Hitchhiker

The Mildenhall Treasure

The Swan

The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar

Lucky Break: How I Became A Writer

A Piece of Cake

Seven tales of fantasy and fun "are told with the special wit, the unexpected twists that have made Roald Dahl's short stories and children's books so popular with readers of all ages."--Book-of-the-Month Club News.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:57 -0400)

Presents seven short stories by Roald Dahl.

Two editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141311495, 0241955785

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,111,387 books! | Top bar: Always visible