The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar and Six…

The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar and Six More (1977)

by Roald Dahl

English (36)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (38)
Awesome book! This book is one of the books I read growing up that surfaces in my mind almost every time I'm in a library, bookstore or dealing with books. I guess the stories were just so weird and so deep thought inducing. I think I tired the card and candle tricks to help improve my ability to concentrate but I never did learn to see through cards. Highly recommend. ( )
  adriel623 | Nov 29, 2018 |
Recommended by Lauren B.

ToC
The boy who talked with animals
The hitchhiker
The Mildenhall treasure
The swan
The wonderful story of Henry Sugar
Lucky break
A piece of cake

These stories are fiction, except "Lucky Break" (autobiographical; familiar to those who have read "Boy") and "A piece of cake" (first published in an American magazine in 1942); "The Mildenhall Treasure" is also presented as nonfiction. "The Swan" was absolutely brutal, with a touch of magical realism at the end; Henry Sugar also had a bit of magic/mysticism to it. All of the stories are very absorbing, with Dahl's typical storytelling prowess, and the narrator Andrew Scott does an excellent job. ( )
1 vote JennyArch | Sep 18, 2018 |
In addition to several fantastic short stories, and the only 2 nonfiction short stories Dahl published, this collection has a great essay about how Dahl became a writer. I really enjoyed the stories, and reading about Dahl's life leading up to his becoming a fiction writer was inspiring and informative. ( )
1 vote JBarringer | Dec 30, 2017 |
Enjoyable read with some information on how Dahl became a writer. ( )
  stef7sa | Jan 5, 2017 |
A collection of 6 stories by Dahl. Sadly, not a funny collection, more of a rambling fiction'y whatever... ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |

Dahl, RoaldAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Blake, QuentinIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Eyzenbach, TomIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Freezer, HarriëtTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fritz-Crone, PelleTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated with affection and sympathy to all young people (including my own son and three daughters) who are going through that long and difficult metamorphosis when they are no longer children and have not yet become adults.
Not so long ago I decided to spend a few days in the West Indies.
Table of Contents:

The Boy Who Talked With Animals

The Hitchhiker

The Mildenhall Treasure

The Swan

The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar

Lucky Break: How I Became A Writer

A Piece of Cake

Seven tales of fantasy and fun "are told with the special wit, the unexpected twists that have made Roald Dahl's short stories and children's books so popular with readers of all ages."--Book-of-the-Month Club News.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:06 -0400)

Presents seven short stories by Roald Dahl, including the title work about a modern-day Robin Hood who steals from casino owners and gives to orphans.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141311495, 0241955785

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,340,645 books! | Top bar: Always visible