The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar and Six…

The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar and Six More (1977)

by Roald Dahl

English (27)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (29)
I have always liked Roald Dahl's adult stories (well, and the kids' ones, too), and there are a few stories in this collection which really shine. However, it's a bit hit and miss.

Of particular interest to writers is his account of how he became a fiction writer. The story is not particularly useful (though there is a section of advice, but it's the usual stuff) - it is interesting, though. ( )
  darushawehm | Oct 24, 2015 |
This set of stories made me love Dahl even more! ( )
  greenscoop | Nov 15, 2014 |
I love his stories. One of the few authors where I can really enjoy a short story and not feel short changed. He has a way to his imagination that makes me want to jump into his brain for a day. ( )
  yougotamber | Aug 22, 2014 |
Sometimes, one is just not sure what category to put a Roald Dahl story. They’re written to be enjoyed, to be provocative, to bypass adults and speak directly to children’s psyches, and they certainly are birthed from a wellspring of imagination that is entirely unique in the world of children’s literature. Legions of fans no doubt have their favorites, such as James and the Giant Peach, The Fantastic Mr.Fox, and Willy Wonka. Fewer still are the Dahl connoisseurs, who likely have read this collection of short stories originally published in 1977. These are complex, compelling, and complicated stories for more mature listeners. Mature not in an age-related sense, but in literary way: there are 10 year old boys who will hear a Dahl yarn (The Swan comes to mind) and forever be moved and changed, yet others who may not have the mental acuity to stick with the story, have been suckled on the immediate gratification that is the Wimpy Kid gestalt. Dahl rewards listeners - the patient and attuned listeners - with stories that illuminate the meanness of children, the tenderness of a mother, or the greed of a Henry Sugar. The narration in this audio recording is spot on and superb: Andrew Scott’s voice with its British Isle lilt, is intimate. At times, it is as if we are all huddled together around a flashlight, long past our bedtimes, listening to Scott softly whisper these finely woven tales. And we, his engrossed audience, hang on his every word. ( )
  Mad.River.Librarian | Apr 23, 2014 |
Not a children's book ... definitely interesting, but considering the stories are about speeding, smoking, stealing, killing animals, gambling, tying someone up on train tracks and war, I wouldn't read this to my kids. Or give it to them. Until maybe ... 13? Or so? The Henry Sugar story is the most fascinating, but I was also very intrigued by his story about how he became a writer. ( )
  AmberTheHuman | Aug 30, 2013 |

Roald Dahlprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Blake, QuentinIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fritz-Crone, PelleTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated with affection and sympathy to all young people (including my own son and three daughters) who are going through that long and difficult metamorphosis when they are no longer children and have not yet become adults.
Not so long ago I decided to spend a few days in the West Indies.
Table of Contents:

The Boy Who Talked With Animals

The Hitchhiker

The Mildenhall Treasure

The Swan

The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar

Lucky Break: How I Became A Writer

A Piece of Cake

Seven tales of fantasy and fun "are told with the special wit, the unexpected twists that have made Roald Dahl's short stories and children's books so popular with readers of all ages."--Book-of-the-Month Club News.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:06 -0400)

Presents seven short stories by Roald Dahl.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141311495, 0241955785

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,886,151 books! | Top bar: Always visible