The Civil War: A Narrative: Volume 2:…

The Civil War: A Narrative: Volume 2: Fredericksburg to Meridian (1974)

by Shelby Foote

Recently added byprivate library, larryz223, ejmw, Tim.Roberson, Warnecke, dehora, sarahfink628, parklib, tmbomer
Legacy LibrariesNelson Algren
    The Civil War Dictionary by Mark Boatner (wildbill)
    wildbill: excellent reference work

Best intro to Civil War. ( )
  jerry-book | Jan 26, 2016 |
Reading Shelby Foote is a delight, especially when one has to suffer the bad grammar and poor sentence structure of modern authors. His way with words is quite refreshing.

I took to this book eagerly, after reading the excellent first volume of this trilogy. This one tended to drag in places, which was a bit disappointing. Nevertheless, the narrative of the battle of Gettysburg was peerless.

All told, worth a read. I am looking forward to plowing into volume 3. ( )
  oparaxenos | Nov 27, 2015 |
I read a few pages of Foote's masterpiece everyday and finished Volume 2. And Foote the master of the narrative never disappoints. His detail in coverage of the major and minor events of this war are always interesting and an absorbing read. And knowing it actually happened in our nations' past that so shaped what we have become is even more thrilling. On to Volume 3. ( )
  knightlight777 | Dec 2, 2014 |
Superlatives cannot describe this work. I've never enjoyed such a historical work more than this one. It is arguably the best work of its kind. You are transported to the events and become an involved observer of the horrific war that changed America forever. ( )
  JVioland | Jul 14, 2014 |
One of the best Civil War narratives I have ever read. Goes into amazing detail while remaining extremely interesting. A must read for any person interested in the Civil War. ( )
  ClanceyKid | Dec 28, 2011 |

AND THEIR GLORY SHALL NOT BE BLOTTED OUT

THEIR BODIES ARE BURIED IN PEACE
BUT THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE
Ecclesiasticus xliv
"After an absence of nearly two years," Jefferson Davis told the legislators assembled under the golden dome of his home-state capitol on the day after Christmas, 1862 - twenty months and two weeks, to the day, since the guns of Charleston opened fire on Sumter to inaugurate the civil war no one could know was not yet halfway over - "I again find myself among those who, from the days of my childhood, have ever been the trusted objects of my affection, those for whose good I have ever striven and whose interests I have sometimes hoped I may have contributed to subserve...I left you to assume the duties which have devolved upon me as the representative of the new Confederacy."
Let us cross over the river . . . and rest under the shade of the trees. (General Stonewall Jackson's dying words at Chancellorsville.)
THE CIVIL WAR : A NARRATIVE has been published in 3 volumes, but has also been subdivided differently to be published in 9 volumes and even 14 volumes. Consequently, there are different works numbered "volume 2". This volume 2 is for the series as subdivided into 3 volumes, and covers the battles from Fredericksburg to Meridian.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 039474621X, Paperback)

"This, then, is narrative history—a kind of history that goes back to an older literary tradition.... The writing is superb...one of the historical and literary achievements of our time." —The Washington Post Book World

"Gettysburg...is described with such meticulous attention to action, terrain, time, and the characters of the various commanders that I understand, at last, what happened in that battle.... Mr. Foote has an acute sense of the relative importance of events and a novelist's skill in directing the reader's attention to the men and the episodes that will influence the course of the whole war, without omitting items which are of momentary interest. His organization of facts could hardly be better." —Atlantic

"Though the events of this middle year of the Civil War have been recounted hundreds of times, they have rarely been re-created with such vigor and such picturesque detail." —The New York Times Book Review

"The lucidity of the battle narratives, the vigor of the prose, the strong feeling for the men from generals to privates who did the fighting, are all controlled by constant sense of how it happened and what it was all about. Foote has the novelist's feeling for character and situation, without losing the historian's scrupulous regard for recorded fact. The Civil War is likely to stand unequaled." —Walter Mills

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:34 -0400)

Months after foiling an international terrorist attack, Doctors Without Borders physician Jonathan Ransom is working under an assumed name in a remote corner of Africa. His wife, Emma, desperate to escape the wrath of Division, the secret American intelligence agency she betrayed, has been in hiding. Both look forward to sharing a stolen weekend in London--until a terrorist attack ruins their romantic rendezvous. In the aftermath, Emma disappears and Jonathan is apprehended by the police and threatened, unless he helps secure his wife's capture. He embarks on a breathless chase across Europe, searching for Emma, and keeping Division at bay . . . until he realises that all along he's been a pawn in a high-stakes game of international intrigue far beyond his imagining.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,281,553 books! | Top bar: Always visible