The Civil War: A Narrative: Volume 1: Fort…

The Civil War: A Narrative: Volume 1: Fort Sumter to Perryville (1958)

by Shelby Foote

The Civil War Dictionary by Mark Boatner (wildbill)
    wildbill: excellent reference work

If you are a Civil War history buff, this is a MUST read. Yes, it is long, but it is absolutely worth your time. I can't wait to dive into Volume 2. I HIGHLY recommend the audio book as Grover Gardner is one of the best narrators in the game. ( )
  tntbeckyford | Feb 16, 2019 |
One of the best books of history I have ever read. What a deep, comprehensive, and insightful look into the first two years of the Civil War. There is little I can say that has not already been said to honor and praise this series of books by Shelby Foote. All I can say is that I regret not discovering this book and series earlier. ( )
  msaucier818 | Apr 9, 2018 |
I've waited 20 years to read this and ... and ... it was pretty boring! Actually I listened to the audio version and the most common droning reader didn't help either. But this is all about the politicians, the generals, the geography, and the development of an ironclad navy. It is certainly a good layout of history -- but I found myself wanting the smaller story and details of the men in the trenches. The Foote series is an epic ... but now that I have a feel for it, the other parts will have to wait. (the audio version, 14 cds, is only 1/2 of book 1). ( )
  deldevries | Jan 31, 2016 |
Superlatives cannot describe this work. I've never enjoyed such a historical work more than this one. It is arguably the best work of its kind. You are transported to the events and become an involved observer of the horrific war that changed America forever. ( )
  JVioland | Jul 14, 2014 |
Volume 1 of Shelby Foote's epic narrative delivered as only he could have. I became interested in Shelby Foote from the PBS Ken Burns Civil War documentary that aired years ago. Foote's commentary throughout the series I found most entertaining and insightful. Years later I decided to purchase his boxed set of 3 volumes but like many things in ones life they sat there collecting dust before I decided maybe I should crack them.

I was not disappointed in the completion on this first volume only in that I waited so long to get at it. Shelby Foote's writing in a narrative style delivers what no doubt is the greatest event and tragedy of our nation in a great tale told as maybe only he could. Foote is able to get into much of the behind the scenes drama that played out and the human toll and sacrifice that touched every American on both sides of the line.

I am not hesitating to launch into volume two which carries on into yet the biggest battles of the war looking forward to the telling of the story to unfold from the master narrator. ( )
  knightlight777 | Jan 17, 2014 |

Shelby Footeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gardner, GroverNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It was a Monday in Washington, January 21: Jefferson Davis rose from his seat in the Senate.
The point I would make is that the novelist and the historian are seeking the same thing: the truth--not a different truth: the same truth--only they reach, or try to reach it, by different routes. Whether the event took place in a world now gone to dust, preserved by documents and evaluated by scholarship, or in the imagination, preserved by memory and distilled by the creative process, they both want to tell us how it was: to re-create it, by their separate methods, and make it live again in the world around them.
THE CIVIL WAR : A NARRATIVE has been published in 3 volumes, but has also been subdivided differently to be published in 9 volumes and even 14 volumes. Consequently, there are different works numbered "volume 1". This volume 1, FORT SUMTER TO PERRYVILLE, is for the series as subdivided into 3 volumes.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0394746236, Paperback)

In 1954, Shelby Foote was a young novelist with a contract to write a short history of the Civil War. It soon became clear, however, that he had undertaken a long-term project. Twenty years later Foote finally completed his massive and essential trilogy on the War Between the States. His three books are prose masterpieces with lively characterizations and gripping action. Although Foote never sacrifices the truth of what happened to his penchant for artistry, his skills as a novelist serve him well. Reading all three of these books will take some time, but they are worth the investment--especially if you, like Foote, have a touch of sympathy for the South's lost cause.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:35 -0400)

Here begins one of the most remarkable works of history ever fashioned. All the great battles are here, of course, from Bull Run through Shiloh, the Seven Days, Second Manassas to Antietam and Perryville in the fall of 1862, but so are the smaller and often equally important engagements on both land and sea: Ball's Bluff, Fort Donelson, Pea Ridge, Island Ten, New Orleans, Monitor versus Merrimac, and Stonewall Jackson's Valley Campaign--to mention only a few.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,421,590 books! | Top bar: Always visible