A Proud Taste for Scarlet and Miniver by…

A Proud Taste for Scarlet and Miniver (original 1973; edition 1973)

by E.L. Konigsburg

Title:A Proud Taste for Scarlet and Miniver
Authors:E.L. Konigsburg
Info:Athenium, 1973. First Edition. Ex-library.

A Proud Taste for Scarlet and Miniver by E. L. Konigsburg (1973)

A really good way to get younger people in 5th/6th-high school, even beyond, to understand history. ( )
  katieloucks | Feb 26, 2016 |
Six-word review: Medieval royalty brought to vivid life.

Extended review:

It's hard for me to know how to rate this book. I almost never read young adult literature, and so I have little or no basis of comparison. On the one hand, it hardly seems fair to place it alongside major, large-scale works of serious adult fiction; on the other, it seems to me that within the YA genre I would be likely to find far more works that rank below it than above it.

So I'm giving it four stars, meaning, in this case, that I'm guessing it to be something very good within its class.

Told in a fictional style, and structured within a self-evidently fictitious frame, A Proud Taste for Scarlet and Miniver is the story of Eleanor of Aquitaine, one-time queen of France and later of England through her marriage to Henry II in 1152. Eleanor is depicted as a strong-willed, intelligent, politically savvy woman who knows her own mind and understands her worth. Her title to the great lands of Aquitaine in France gives her great power in twelfth-century Europe. It is she who has the proud taste for luxuries, among them cloth of scarlet and the white fur called miniver, which, surprisingly, is never defined or described in the book.

Author Konigsburg, of whose other work I know nothing at all, has a knack for vivid characterizations of historical figures. She knows the art of depicting complex situations and relationships in simple terms. She deals with well-known, major episodes in history--the start of the Second Crusade, the murder of Thomas Becket, the rivalry between King Richard the Lion Heart and his brother Prince John, the turning of Henry's sons against him, the imprisonment of Eleanor for treason--in engaging, straightforward language without trivializing them. The style of delivery is entertaining and readily accessible without feeling condescending.

Although the history of this period and these royal figures is not unfamiliar to me, I learned some new things from reading this book--a quick, easy read of 200 short pages. A dry recital of facts it is not. It seems likely to me that the book might succeed in furthering and even awakening a young person's interest in the time, the places, and the people who populate this charming book. ( )
2 vote Meredy | Jan 1, 2016 |
A conversation in heaven among several figures in Eleanor of Aquitaine's life awaiting King Henry's judgement after suffering hundreds of years in the afterlife. Lively dialog keeps the history interesting and light. A good overview for the young or those unfamiliar with this important figure in history. ( )
  joeydag | Jul 23, 2015 |
This book would be good to use when talking about 12th century England or the royals around that time. I think students would like this book because it is told in an interesting perspective that is not seen very often. ( )
  Kate_Schulte078 | May 4, 2015 |
Another childhood favorite. I remember checking this book out of my local branch library multiple times. Eleanor of Aquitaine waits in Heaven to see if her much beloved -- and much warred with -- husband Henry will be released from Purgatory. While she waits, she reflects on her life.

My first look at European history came with this book. Although I've read more about Eleanor and Henry since then (and who could forget Lion in Winter?), and this version is tailored for a young audience, I still recall this version of her. It contains the conflict, the difficulties, and the wonders of that period in history, and of this very unique woman. ( )
  Murphy-Jacobs | Mar 30, 2013 |

E. L. Konigsburgprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Konisburg, E.L.main authorall editionsconfirmed
For Manci and for David,
who taught me freedom from its two directions.
During her lifetime Eleanor of Aquitaine had not been a patient woman.

While waiting in heaven for divine judgement to be passed on her second husband, Eleanor of Aquitaine and three of the people who knew her well recall the events of her life.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 068984624X, Paperback)

Eleanor of Aquitaine, wife to two kings, mother to two others, has been waiting in Heaven a long time -- eight centuries, more or less -- to be reunited with her second husband, Henry II of England. Finally, the day has come when Henry will be judged for admission. While Eleanor, never a patient woman in life or afterlife, waits, three people, each of whom was close to Eleanor during a time of her life, join her. Their reminiscences do far more than help distract Eleanor -- they also paint a rich portrait of an extraordinary woman who was front and center in a remarkable period in history and whose accomplishments have had an important influence on society through the ages.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:53 -0400)

While waiting in heaven for divine judgment to be passed on her second husband, Eleanor of Aquitaine and three of the people who knew her well recall the events of her life.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,770,329 books! | Top bar: Always visible