The Frog Prince by Jane Porter

The Frog Prince (edition 2005)

by Jane Porter

Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:chick lit

The Frog Prince by Jane Porter

What a fun book, and do you not love the cover? The cover is as fun as the book was. This was another book I could not put down. The way the author portrays Holly makes you feel like you are her. The divorcee with nothing but yourself and your thighs that seem to be getting bigger by the day, the girl who has no friends and can not believe that her life is practically over after only being married a year. And we all can relate to the hot stuck up woman who wants to be your friend but in the end they get jealous of you coming out of your shell and making something of yourself and being happy.
I just really enjoyed this book. It was a fun read and kept you entertained. I know the book was long-371 pages- but I feel like it could have been more on her relationship at the end. The book teases you, especially with Brian. Then at the end it doesn't say what happened or what is going on. This book could have been another 100+ pages and it still would have held my interest. I think more pages would have completed the book and said where she stood guy wise. It was still a great read though! ( )
  trishalynn0708 | Jun 17, 2010 |
I was really surprised how well I liked this book. It wasn't my usual type of reading, but I found myself identifying with the character on many levels and it kept me thinking long after the book was over.

Not a romance, but a story of empowerment.

I would recommend this book to many women.
  Ilithyia | Jan 16, 2010 |
A quick, light read, I would recommend The Frog Prince to anyone who enjoys chick-lit. Holly is a great character once she gets over her self - esteem issues (and stops rambling on about fairy tales) and really starts to live for herself. I had a hard time understanding Holly's relationship with her mother and didn't really comprehend the motives of her ex-husband in seeking a divorce. I did enjoy the overall empowerment theme of creating your own happy ending. Great supporting characters and lots of funny scenes (especially the dating!) make The Frog Prince a fun read. ( )
  jedziedz | Aug 5, 2009 |
The Review

This is the third of five books by Jane Porter that I have written a review on. To date, I have reviewed Flirting With Forty, Mrs. Perfect and Odd Mom Out. I am officially a Jane Porter fan! As I’ve mentioned in prior posts, Easy On The Eyes is coming in July and it’s going to be great!

I’m guessing that The Frog Prince was Porter’s first Chick-Lit book. From what I’ve read in the “About the Author” in the back of this book, she wanted to write a book that wasn’t the typical “fairytale.” The Frog Prince is about suffering heartache and starting all over again. This book is about learning to love and accept ourselves, and our families, just for who we are. It’s about being comfortable enough to say “no” to being with a man if the timing isn’t right for you and saying “yes” when it is. It’s about accomplishing things that you set out to do, just for yourself. It’s about acting with integrity when others around you would love nothing more than to tear you down. It are these aspects of this book and Porter’s writing that draw me to her and get me excited about the next book!

As far as a review is concerned, I have to say that Odd Mom Out and Mrs. Perfect are still my two favorites. I say this although I think that Porter may have a soft spot in her heart for Flirting With Forty because that story most mirrors her life. I’m excited to see what Easy on The Eyes will bring and am happy to say that Jane Porter is one of my favorite Chick Lit authors. She’s made a life-long fan out of me!

On Sher’s “Out of Ten Scale:”

As the self-proclaimed “Queen of ChickLit,” I can say that this book is a solid read. I would recommend it for somebody in their 20’s and just out of a breakup of a long term relationship or marriage. Although, I enjoyed it even though I’m old and crusty! For the genre Fiction:Women’s Fiction/ChickLit, I am going to rate this book an 8 OUT OF 10. ( )
  ANovelMenagerie | Jun 27, 2009 |
I really liked this book. The protagonist seemed real and I like the ending. ( )
  risadabomb | Apr 3, 2009 |

WHAT HAPPENS WHEN THE FAIRY TALE IS OVER?

Once upon a time, a lovely maiden from Fresno married the man of her dreams. After the honeymoon, she waited for the “happily ever after” part…until her Prince Charming turned out to be a toad.

Now Holly Bishop is about to write a new chapter in her life. She moves to San Francisco to become an event planner—only to find she is dealing with a gorgeous fairy godmother for a boss and corporate witches wicked enough to sabotage her future. Not to mention the egomaniacal frogs Holly finds lurking at the bottom of the dating pool. With no one to save her, will Holly slay the dragons herself and stand on her own for the very first time? Will the man behind the mask at her costume ball make her believe in love again? And will she risk giving up her dreams to become the heroine of her own story?

Holly Bishop is the proverbial, small-town good girl. She always follows the rules, thinks of others first, and she never, ever makes mistakes. Until she marries the man she thought was her Prince Charming, who confesses on their honeymoon that he's not sexually attracted to her. Now, 14 months after, Holly's marriage is in the toilet, along with her self-esteem. Determined to start over, she moves to San Francisco, where she must navigate the landmines of dating in the big city. In the shadow of the Golden Gate and amid a population of wacky Bay Area eccentrics, Holly will discover that nice girls don't always finish last. In fact, they sometimes end up with everything they'd ever wanted.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:42:29 -0400)

"The story of a woman who must start a new life as an event planner in San Francisco after her fairy tale marriage falls apart"--Provided by the publisher.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,342,216 books! | Top bar: Always visible