The Quiet War by Paul McAuley

The Quiet War (original 2008; edition 2009)

by Paul McAuley

Member:LamSon
Title:The Quiet War
Authors:Paul McAuley
Info:Pyr (2009), Paperback, 405 pages
Tags:SF, McAuley

The Quiet War by Paul McAuley (2008)

Heart of the Comet by Gregory Benford (tetrachromat)
    tetrachromat: Both tell stories of how humanity uses genetic engineering to construct habitats and survive in space.

English (20)  Polish (1)  All (21)
THE QUIET WAR is set in the 23rd century in a fully colonised solar system. War is brewing between conservative Earth and the solar system colonists called Outers, who push the envelope on what it means to be human constantly. The protagonists of the book are very different, but they are caught in this building momentum - an ambitious geneticist whose star is rising, a genetically-engineered clone soldier, a junior scientist whose curiosity makes her a liability, a pilot who volunteers to test a dangerous new technology, and a power-hungry diplomat.

I expected THE QUIET WAR to be focused on the military, but instead it's a slow burning political book that portrays the inevitability of conflict, despite almost nobody actually wanting one. It does this rather well, hampered only by the frequent and long passages on the technical details of ecosystem building (which are fascinating, but don't add much to the story - atmosphere can be overdone).

McAuley's descriptive abilities are put to good use when he describes the colonised solar system, though - the Outers' colonies are vividly beautiful and inspire awe. It seems like a doable near-future vision of space colonisation, which is something I would love to see happen in my lifetime.

The protagonists are not terribly sympathetic, but they do a good job of illustrating how people from pretty much every walk of life are drawn into the war. Some of the protagonists' quirks (Sri's odd relationship with her son, for example) seemed like attempts to make the character multidimensional, but instead ended up feeling pointlessly uncomfortable. I think one particular viewpoint (Cash) could've been totally cut - I didn't really get what he added to the story, since Dave 8 had had the whole "engineered soldier PoV" covered.

This book is fairly standalone, but I think it could use a little closure on the war, so I'm looking forward to reading the next installment, Gardens of the Sun. ( )
  kgodey | Apr 11, 2017 |
By the 23rd century, humanity had managed to populate most of the moons and planets in the Solar system. But it had not managed to stop the petty squabbles - some time in the past a group of humans threw a comet at another group; Mars's colonies had been obliterated to teach everyone else a lesson and the humanity had split into Outers and the ones from Earth (and even that is not completely true because the different nations on Earth are still around and in disagreement). Climate changes had not help matters and as a result of a really bad event a few decades earlier, Earth had lost most of its bioforms. And now the gene wizards are working to restore what was lost on Earth and to build anew in the new worlds. And you would have thought that this would keep the world busy. But it being humanity, nothing is that easy.

The Greater Brazil is controlled by the families and it wants world domination. But the families, especially the one that seems to be in charge (Peixoto) are divided between wanting a war and wanting a coalition with the Outers. Things get a bit worrisome when the people that support the alliance start dying and when one of the biggest projects, a biodome that was supposed to be built as a sign of the cooperation, is targeted and sabotaged. Add to this some clones (although they spent 3/4th of the book doing pretty much nothing and barely being mentioned, the book opens with them and they become pretty important later on), pilots that had been changed to feel their spaceships, genetic and other cuts (anything from genetic manipulation to plastic surgery) and a diplomat who seems to be always getting in the right place at the right time to cause mischief.

The book moves from very technical to character driven and back and the sections are uneven. Most of the technical parts are dry - the style is getting better as the book is going (or maybe I got used to it). It drags a bit during the big battle at the end and then it ends... with all the major characters either dead (or are they?) or running or spinning their own stories. It feels like a part one of a book, not as a complete book.

It takes a while to start caring about any of the characters - any time you think you know on what side everyone is, thing shift. Betrayal and second chances run through the story and change the idea of what is really going on. And in some cases the motives are a bit unbelievable - a man starved for love risks everything he had worked for a woman, a woman almost sacrifices her child chasing a professional success. And the whole war starts because an overreaction. But once it starts, there isn't too much anyone can do about that.

It is a dark novel about the future. But there is also hope somewhere there. I will be reading the next novel to see what happens to everyone and I will be interested to see any other stories in this world. I just hope that the technical parts will be a little less dry. ( )
1 vote AnnieMod | May 1, 2016 |
The Quiet War, by Paul J McAuley.
This was the book I read over Christmas, and I like McAuley, so that wan't a problem, but do you know what I prefer? For years I'd save books by a particular author for my Christmas book, the one I actually dipped into on Christmas Day, and lay about in front of the fireplace with on Stephen's Day, and that was Kim Newman. Paul McAuley won't mind, they're good mates. But there hasn't been a Kim Newman novel in years! Where's my new Kim Newman novel? Fair enough, there was The Man From The Diogenes Club and Secret Files Of The Diogenes Club, fix-up novels with more than enough new material to justify their purchase, but, frankly, I devoured them as soon as I got them. No will power, me. But where's the English Ghost Story book or the new Anno Dracula book? I want them! I want them noooooow! So I can put them aside for eleven months until next Christmas.
McAuley, on the other hand, well, his last two books were relatively poor. Cowboy Angels wasn't up to much and Players was downright mediocre. For heaven's sake, Paul! You wrote Fairyland! FAIRYLAND! One of the best science fiction novels of the nineties! Not to mention White Devils, whch was, amongst other things, a Michael Crichton book by someone who isn't scared shitless of science and who didn't structure their entire book around that fear.
The Quiet War is a return to form, a space opera about the growing schism between a conservative, ruthless Earth-based society and the more adventurous, genetically advanced but fatally complacent settlements scattered throughout the solar system. The book charts the slow buildup to war through the eyes of an ambitious geneticist, a hard-nosed bio-engineer, a gung ho fighter pilot, a genetically engineered sleeper agent and a ruthlessly ambitious diplomat.
McAuley's a reliably good writer, and this stuff is potter's clay in his hands. An entertaining mix of hard science fiction, espionage, social upheaval, political intrigue and high tech warfare, it turned out to be a damned fine Christmas Day book. ( )
  Nigel_Quinlan | Oct 21, 2015 |
I picked this book up from recommendations saying that it would be a "similar" book to Peter F. Hamilton's sprawling space operas, which I adore. However, I guess I just wasn't in the mood for this book -- I found it tedious and frustrating, and just wasn't getting into the politics. Maybe the infodump at the beginning spoiled me, since I found myself skimming it quickly.

I do want to try this again when I'm more in the mood for it -- I saw a lot of promise in its pages, but they just weren't clicking with me when I was reading it. Quit about 40% of the way through. ( )
  lyrrael | Oct 17, 2015 |
This novel is one of the best SF novels of the past couple of years. It is fullthroatedly SFnal, distinctly "hard."
added by sdobie | editSF Site, Rich Horton (Dec 1, 2009)

Though flawed, The Quiet War makes you want more precisely because there's so much promise in its primary characters and settings. McAuley makes science incredibly exciting, and you'll have his weird images and ideas in your brain for days after you put the book down. War may not have been the best plot device to get this story in motion, but the vacuum organisms and communes on Uranus make this a novel well worth your time.
added by PhoenixTerran | editio9, Annalee Newitz (May 6, 2009)

Paul McAuleyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cooke, Jacqueline NassoCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"The Herr Doctor does not know about peoples."

-- William Golding, Free Fall
For Russell Schecter,

and for Georgina, naturellement

Twenty-third century Earth, ravaged by climate change, looks backwards to the holy ideal of a pre-industrial Eden. Political power has been grabbed by a few powerful families and their green saints. Millions of people are imprisoned in teeming cities; millions more labour on Pharaonic projects to rebuild ruined ecosystems. On the moons of Jupiter and Saturn, the Outers, descendants of refugees from Earth's repressive regimes, have constructed a wild variety of self-sufficient cities and settlements: scientific utopias crammed with exuberant creations of the genetic arts; the last outposts of every kind of democratic tradition. The fragile detente between the Outer cities and the dynasties of Earth is threatened by the ambitions of the rising generation of Outers, who want to break free of their cosy, inward-looking pocket paradises, colonise the rest of the Solar System, and drive human evolution in a hundred new directions. On Earth, many demand pre-emptive action against the Outers before it's too late; others want to exploit the talents of their scientists and gene wizards. Amid campaigns for peace and reconciliation, political machinations, crude displays of military might, and espionage by cunningly wrought agents, the two branches of humanity edge towards war.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,787,650 books! | Top bar: Always visible