The Castle Corona by Sharon Creech

The Castle Corona

by Sharon Creech

4791932,506 (3.32)14

A fairly classic fairy tale, but updated with active girls and plenty of humor. No magic though. I felt like a child again, so happy to be immersed in the kingdom. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Oh, so lovely. I liked everything about this book--the size of the pages, the beautiful illustrations, the writing and the characters and the story. It was nothing earth-shattering, just a really enjoyable read. I want to give it to my nieces.
  mirikayla | Feb 8, 2016 |
This story is of the old style in which the monarchy rules much the same as it always did and everyone's quirks drive the story line. It has mystery and adventure and leaves the reader feeling quite self-satisfied at the stoy's completion. I recommend it to any who read and loved Despereaux but wouldn't have minded the exclusion of talking animals. This is that kind of a story. ( )
  matthewbloome | May 19, 2013 |
Slight fairy tale with pleasant illustrations contains no surprises but serves as a welcome diversion on a train journey through the heartland. I can't recommend it due to its lack of interesting situations. ( )
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
Surprisingly abstract for something classified as a children/young adult book. I'm still not sure what happened at the end and I read it over a few times. ( )
  Krumbs | Mar 31, 2013 |
The narrative progresses like a picturesque and finely drawn puzzle that is satisfyingly pieced together and ends, tongue gently in cheek, "Mostly happily, most of the time."

Sharon Creechprimary authorall editionscalculated
Diaz, DavidIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Long ago and far away . . .

There was a castle. But not just any castle. This was a castle that glittered and sparkled and rose majestically above the banks of the winding Winono River: the Castle Corona.

And in this castle lived a family. But not just any family. This was the family of King Guido: rich and royal and . . . spoiled. And King Guido was so spoiled that neither jewels nor gold nor splendid finery could please him, for what he longed for most was . . . a nap and a gown that didn't itch.

Far below this grand, glittering castle lived two peasants. But not just any peasants. These peasants, though poor and pitiful, were plucky and proud. And in possession of a stolen pouch. But not just any pouch. A pouch whose very contents had the power to unlock secrets and transform lives . . .

And oh, there is an author. But not just any author. Sharon Creech is a Newbery Medal-winning author whose tantalizing tale will not only dazzle and delight but also entertain and excite.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:15 -0400)

Two orphaned peasant children discover a mysterious pouch, the contents of which lead them to the majestic Castle Corona, where their lives may be transformed forever.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,549,997 books! | Top bar: Always visible