Lone Survivor: The Eyewitness Account of…

Lone Survivor: The Eyewitness Account of Operation REDWING and the Lost… (edition 2007)

by Marcus Luttrell, Patrick Robinson

Member:dele2451
Title:Lone Survivor: The Eyewitness Account of Operation REDWING and the Lost Heroes of SEAL Team 10
Authors:Marcus Luttrell
Other authors:Patrick Robinson
Info:New York : Little, Brown, 2007.
Tags:paperback, nonfiction, current events, Marcus Luttrell, Patrick Robinson, eyewitness, hero, military, SEAL, survivor, survival, 21st Century, bestseller, combat, Matthew Gene Axelson, religion, US history, Michael Patrick Murphy, fundamentalist, autobiographical, Daniel Richard Healy, boot camp, memoir, patriot, enlisted, George W Bush, basic training, Afghanistan, Texan, Shane Patton, bombing, gungho, war, valor, communications operator, bombardment, true, adversity, James Suh, Daisy Cutter, Sean Mruk, Taliban, 9/11, retaliation, Bamiyan Buddha, never quit, service, armed forces, Rules of Engagement, Commando Vault, Pakistan, warrior, human rights, Pashtun, Middle East, Bahrain, Baluchistan, Pashtunwalai, Islamic, black flag, reconnaissance, tribal, purdah, bravery, extremist, intelligence, classified, justice, courage, al Queda, insurgent, The Count of Monte Cristo, deadly, Muslim, violence, C-130, Bagram, Beau Walsh, Arab, interrogation, teamwork, BUD/S, guilt, frogmen, Baghdad, twin, Coronado, willpower, battle, Saddam Hussein, amphibious, KIA, fight, IED, Uranium-235, Reno Alberto, fatal, brotherhood, explosive, East Texas, buddy system, mission, elite, stealth, WMD, no man left behind, American, mountainous, ranch, core values, Joe Burns, sacrifice, Osama bin Laden, country boy, ethics, confidence, casualty, terrorist, Iraq, determination, conditioning, duty, Hindu Kush, Iran, oil, special forces, rescue, grief, NCO, hate, swimmer, work ethic, Joe Maguire, special operations, marksman, Sharia, discipline, Navy, Hell Week, stranded, Flavius Vegetius Renatus, commando, Eric Kristensen, threat assessment, perseverance, border patrol, decision, behind enemy lines, life or death, goatherd, gunfire, vigil, thirst, dehydration, pinned, alone, presumed dead, opium, storm, MIA, missing, positive attitude, Monagee, vow, selfless, ordeal, US Army Ranger, ceremony, Geneva Convention, desecration, Admiral Mike Mullin, jihad, lokhay warkawal, hospitality, ancient culture, decency, shelter, haven, child abuse, war crimes, liberal press, last respects, funeral, loss, veteran

Lone Survivor : The Eyewitness Account of Operation Redwing and the Lost Heroes of SEAL Team 10 by Marcus Luttrell

Recently added bybethtech, rnbwpnt, JohnnyBlaze1122, ghsmits, minde001, private library, larocco, esleys, clandru

I really enjoyed this story of courage and commitment, but I would have found it more noteworthy if the author had eliminated his harsh critique of liberals. It added nothing to the story and shed a negative light on him. Military members should attempt to refrain from stating political opinions. ( )
  tmmeyer | May 22, 2016 |
To get five stars a book must pull me in and keep me there. I was counting the time till I could read it again. It isn't a hard read and moves pretty quick. Certainly something more teens should be exposed to so they understand a little more about the cost of freedom and how life really is. Most today do not really understand hatred or compassion, honor and decency.

I might just have to go to the Bush Jr. library just to see that patch. ( )
  tillywern | May 12, 2016 |
There are two parts to this true-life account. Part One: Marcus Lutrell becomes a Navy S.E.A.L.: Sea Air Land. We are with him during Hell Week. We are with him every grueling, push-up doing, breath-catching, drill-sergeant-yelling-at-him moment. Part Two: Lutrell and three of his S.E.A.L. cohorts (and best friends) are dropped from helicopter into a copse of trees just outside a small Afghanistan town. Four passing goatherds stumble across the four S.E.A.L.s. Lutrell and his friends must decide, in a snap-second, whether to kill the goatherds, the youngest of whom appears to be 10 years old, or let them go. Lutrell makes the decision -- the wrong one, it turns out -- and they suffer the consequences. Hang on for the ride. ( )
  evamat72 | Mar 31, 2016 |
Talk about an amazing survival story! This was an action pact with little dry moments film in which I feel in live with the main characters. You think when all hope is lost your gonna die but as shown, you must keep moving forward. The Taliban is a devastating organization and if it wasn't for the tradition of that town to protect outsiders, everyone in operation would of been exterminated by the terrorists. I still find it unbelievable that one man can endure that much damage and still continue to fight forward and not give up. This story is truly amazing and really intrigued me and my family.
  dickards | Mar 30, 2016 |
I happened to listen to this book and had a surreal experience as I listened to the last heroic moments of the life of Danny Dietz. He graduated from Heritage High School and I happened to be driving away from Colin's choir concert when I was at that particular part. So I listened to the recounting of his brave efforts fighting for our country while driving down the streets he must have driven many times.This book was so interesting. I gained a whole new respect for the training and the missions of Navy Seals. This is a sad but remarkable story of the worst special ops incident in US history. ( )
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
Just because Luttrell got his facts wrong, criticized the rules of engagement needlessly, and misunderstands counter-insurgency, that doesn’t mean his memoir is bad art. Misguided definitely, but not necessarily a poor piece of writing.

Except Lone Survivor is a bad piece of writing, and I hope it will be forgotten in twenty years.

Marcus Luttrellprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Robinson, Patrickmain authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0316044695, Mass Market Paperback)

Four US Navy SEALS departed one clear night in early July 2005 for the mountainous Afghanistan-Pakistan border for a reconnaissance mission. Their task was to document the activity of an al Qaeda leader rumored to be very close to Bin Laden with a small army in a Taliban stronghold. Five days later, only one of those Navy SEALS made it out alive.

This is the story of the only survivor of Operation Redwing, SEAL fire team leader Marcus Luttrell, and the extraordinary firefight that led to the largest loss of life in American Navy SEAL history. His squadmates fought valiantly beside him until he was the only one left alive, blasted by an RPG into a place where his pursuers could not find him. Over the next four days, terribly injured and presumed dead, Luttrell crawled for miles through the mountains and was taken in by sympathetic villagers who risked their lives to keep him safe from surrounding Taliban warriors.

A born and raised Texan, Marcus Luttrell takes us from the rigors of SEAL training, where he and his fellow SEALs discovered what it took to join the most elite of the American special forces, to a fight in the desolate hills of Afghanistan for which they never could have been prepared. His account of his squadmates' heroism and mutual support renders an experience that is both heartrending and life-affirming. In this rich chronicle of courage and sacrifice, honor and patriotism, Marcus Luttrell delivers a powerful narrative of modern war.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:02 -0400)

"On a clear night in late June 2005, four U.S. Navy SEALs left their base in northern Afghanistan for the mountainous Pakistani border. Their mission was to capture or kill a notorious al Qaeda leader known to be ensconced in a Taliban stronghold surrounded by a small but heavily armed force. Less then twenty-four hours later, only one of those Navy SEALs remained alive.""This is the story of fire team leader Marcus Luttrell, the sole survivor of Operation Redwing, and the desperate battle in the mountains that led, ultimately, to the largest loss of life in Navy SEAL history. But it is also, more than anything, the story of his teammates, who fought ferociously beside him until he was the last one left - blasted unconscious by a rocket grenade, blown over a cliff, but still armed and still breathing. Over the next four days, badly injured and presumed dead, Luttrell fought off six al Qaeda assassins who were sent to finish him, then crawled for seven miles through the mountains before he was taken in by a Pashtun tribe, who risked everything to protect him from the encircling Taliban killers.""A six-foot-five-inch Texan, Leading Petty Officer Luttrell takes us, blow-by-blow, through the brutal training of America's warrior elite and the relentless rites of passage required by the Navy SEALs. He transports us to a monstrous battle fought in the desolate peaks of Afghanistan, where the beleaguered American team plummeted headlong a thousand feet down a mountain as they fought back through flying shale and rocks. In this chronicle of courage, honor, and patriotism, Marcus Luttrell delivers one of the most powerful narratives ever written about modern warfare - and a tribute to his teammates, who made the ultimate sacrifice for their country."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,931,888 books! | Top bar: Always visible