Lone Survivor: The Eyewitness Account of…

Lone Survivor: The Eyewitness Account of Operation REDWING and the Lost… (edition 2007)

by Marcus Luttrell, Patrick Robinson

Member:dele2451
Title:Lone Survivor: The Eyewitness Account of Operation REDWING and the Lost Heroes of SEAL Team 10
Authors:Marcus Luttrell
Other authors:Patrick Robinson
Info:New York : Little, Brown, 2007.
Tags:paperback, nonfiction, current events, Marcus Luttrell, Patrick Robinson, eyewitness, hero, military, SEAL, survivor, survival, 21st Century, bestseller, combat, Matthew Gene Axelson, religion, US history, Michael Patrick Murphy, fundamentalist, autobiographical, Daniel Richard Healy, boot camp, memoir, patriot, enlisted, George W Bush, basic training, Afghanistan, Texan, Shane Patton, bombing, gungho, war, valor, communications operator, bombardment, true, adversity, James Suh, Daisy Cutter, Sean Mruk, Taliban, 9/11, retaliation, Bamiyan Buddha, never quit, service, armed forces, Rules of Engagement, Commando Vault, Pakistan, warrior, human rights, Pashtun, Middle East, Bahrain, Baluchistan, Pashtunwalai, Islamic, black flag, reconnaissance, tribal, purdah, bravery, extremist, intelligence, classified, justice, courage, al Queda, insurgent, The Count of Monte Cristo, deadly, Muslim, violence, C-130, Bagram, Beau Walsh, Arab, interrogation, teamwork, BUD/S, guilt, frogmen, Baghdad, twin, Coronado, willpower, battle, Saddam Hussein, amphibious, KIA, fight, IED, Uranium-235, Reno Alberto, fatal, brotherhood, explosive, East Texas, buddy system, mission, elite, stealth, WMD, no man left behind, American, mountainous, ranch, core values, Joe Burns, sacrifice, Osama bin Laden, country boy, ethics, confidence, casualty, terrorist, Iraq, determination, conditioning, duty, Hindu Kush, Iran, oil, special forces, rescue, grief, NCO, hate, swimmer, work ethic, Joe Maguire, special operations, marksman, Sharia, discipline, Navy, Hell Week, stranded, Flavius Vegetius Renatus, commando, Eric Kristensen, threat assessment, perseverance, border patrol, decision, behind enemy lines, life or death, goatherd, gunfire, vigil, thirst, dehydration, pinned, alone, presumed dead, opium, storm, MIA, missing, positive attitude, Monagee, vow, selfless, ordeal, US Army Ranger, ceremony, Geneva Convention, desecration, Admiral Mike Mullin, jihad, lokhay warkawal, hospitality, ancient culture, decency, shelter, haven, child abuse, war crimes, liberal press, last respects, funeral, loss, veteran

Lone Survivor : The Eyewitness Account of Operation Redwing and the Lost Heroes of SEAL Team 10 by Marcus Luttrell

Marcus Luttrell may be another uber-Christian, uber-patriotic Texan and Navy Seal but he was certainly a better writer than his prother in arms, Chris Kyle. I like that he kept his book brief; just giving the necessary background in his life and telling a better story about his battle in Afghanistan. ( )
  jimocracy | Apr 18, 2015 |
In 2005 mission four members of SEAL Team 10 were assigned the mission to capture the Taliban leader, Admad Shad. Marcus Luttrell was the only member of his team to survive, so thats why the book is called "Lone Survivor." I think this is one of the most interesting war stories I've ever heard. Even though the book had a long, and boring introduction, the ending made the book an excellent read.
Patrick Robinson, the author, also did a great job of capturing the first-hand story from Marcus Luttrell. While reading this book, I had a vivid image in mid of everything that was going on. The landscape of Afghanistan was brilliantly detailed , and the battle scenes felt as though they were occurring in my mind.
This book is definitely a great read, especially if you're in to non-fiction war stories. Even though in my opinion the movie was better, mainly because it skipped most of the introduction and boring parts, I really suggest reading this book. ( )
  mofa14 | Mar 2, 2015 |
This might have been an interesting story, I don't know since I did not get past the first 50 or so pages. It was written at about a High School sophomore level. That may have been its intended audience but I found it detracted from the story. Perhaps the movie was better as it most likely would have skipped a lot of the introductory materials. ( )
  GLHufford | Sep 11, 2014 |
I always find it complicated to judge military accounts because while I do admire the courage these soldiers have, the fact that most of the military accounts always seem to patronize the US always bothers me. It really felt like reading a 300 page advertisement of the North American military rather than the story of a guy who has been through hell and survived.
I also thought that the bit of the book that told about the BUD/S training wasn't really necessary. I have already read a couple of books about the Navy SEAL training, so nothing in the first part of the book really struck me as anything new. In fact, compared to other books in the military literature, this one was actually really poor. There are several other books that describe the Navy SEAL training in a more detailed fashion. Given the context of the book, I feel that the training part could have been used to describe Marcus' bonds with his future Navy SEAL buddies.
But while this was definitely not my favorite military-themed book, there are several aspects of it that I thought were really good, mostly the accounts of Luttrell's fight for survival in Afghanistan and the cultural shock. Now THAT could use some more detail, since their culture is so unique.

I had my share of fun and informative data with this book, but it still feels like a lot of potential has been wasted here. ( )
  aryadeschain | Aug 26, 2014 |
This is story of inspiration and determination. Marcus Luttrell is a man that most of us can only hope to be. I highly recommend his story to anyone that thinks they might be even a little bit interested in it. ( )
  jsopcich | May 19, 2014 |
Just because Luttrell got his facts wrong, criticized the rules of engagement needlessly, and misunderstands counter-insurgency, that doesn’t mean his memoir is bad art. Misguided definitely, but not necessarily a poor piece of writing.

Except Lone Survivor is a bad piece of writing, and I hope it will be forgotten in twenty years.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0316044695, Mass Market Paperback)

Four US Navy SEALS departed one clear night in early July 2005 for the mountainous Afghanistan-Pakistan border for a reconnaissance mission. Their task was to document the activity of an al Qaeda leader rumored to be very close to Bin Laden with a small army in a Taliban stronghold. Five days later, only one of those Navy SEALS made it out alive.

This is the story of the only survivor of Operation Redwing, SEAL fire team leader Marcus Luttrell, and the extraordinary firefight that led to the largest loss of life in American Navy SEAL history. His squadmates fought valiantly beside him until he was the only one left alive, blasted by an RPG into a place where his pursuers could not find him. Over the next four days, terribly injured and presumed dead, Luttrell crawled for miles through the mountains and was taken in by sympathetic villagers who risked their lives to keep him safe from surrounding Taliban warriors.

A born and raised Texan, Marcus Luttrell takes us from the rigors of SEAL training, where he and his fellow SEALs discovered what it took to join the most elite of the American special forces, to a fight in the desolate hills of Afghanistan for which they never could have been prepared. His account of his squadmates' heroism and mutual support renders an experience that is both heartrending and life-affirming. In this rich chronicle of courage and sacrifice, honor and patriotism, Marcus Luttrell delivers a powerful narrative of modern war.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:59 -0400)

This is the story of fire team leader Marcus Luttrell, the sole survivor of Operation Redwing, and the desperate battle in the Afghanistan mountains in 2005, that led to the largest loss of life in Navy SEAL history.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,178,305 books! | Top bar: Always visible