Lone Survivor: The Eyewitness Account of…

Lone Survivor: The Eyewitness Account of Operation REDWING and the Lost… (edition 2007)

by Marcus Luttrell, Patrick Robinson

Member:dele2451
Title:Lone Survivor: The Eyewitness Account of Operation REDWING and the Lost Heroes of SEAL Team 10
Authors:Marcus Luttrell
Other authors:Patrick Robinson
Info:New York : Little, Brown, 2007.
Tags:paperback, nonfiction, current events, Marcus Luttrell, Patrick Robinson, eyewitness, hero, military, SEAL, survivor, survival, 21st Century, bestseller, combat, Matthew Gene Axelson, religion, US history, Michael Patrick Murphy, fundamentalist, autobiographical, Daniel Richard Healy, boot camp, memoir, patriot, enlisted, George W Bush, basic training, Afghanistan, Texan, Shane Patton, bombing, gungho, war, valor, communications operator, bombardment, true, adversity, James Suh, Daisy Cutter, Sean Mruk, Taliban, 9/11, retaliation, Bamiyan Buddha, never quit, service, armed forces, Rules of Engagement, Commando Vault, Pakistan, warrior, human rights, Pashtun, Middle East, Bahrain, Baluchistan, Pashtunwalai, Islamic, black flag, reconnaissance, tribal, purdah, bravery, extremist, intelligence, classified, justice, courage, al Queda, insurgent, The Count of Monte Cristo, deadly, Muslim, violence, C-130, Bagram, Beau Walsh, Arab, interrogation, teamwork, BUD/S, guilt, frogmen, Baghdad, twin, Coronado, willpower, battle, Saddam Hussein, amphibious, KIA, fight, IED, Uranium-235, Reno Alberto, fatal, brotherhood, explosive, East Texas, buddy system, mission, elite, stealth, WMD, no man left behind, American, mountainous, ranch, core values, Joe Burns, sacrifice, Osama bin Laden, country boy, ethics, confidence, casualty, terrorist, Iraq, determination, conditioning, duty, Hindu Kush, Iran, oil, special forces, rescue, grief, NCO, hate, swimmer, work ethic, Joe Maguire, special operations, marksman, Sharia, discipline, Navy, Hell Week, stranded, Flavius Vegetius Renatus, commando, Eric Kristensen, threat assessment, perseverance, border patrol, decision, behind enemy lines, life or death, goatherd, gunfire, vigil, thirst, dehydration, pinned, alone, presumed dead, opium, storm, MIA, missing, positive attitude, Monagee, vow, selfless, ordeal, US Army Ranger, ceremony, Geneva Convention, desecration, Admiral Mike Mullin, jihad, lokhay warkawal, hospitality, ancient culture, decency, shelter, haven, child abuse, war crimes, liberal press, last respects, funeral, loss, veteran

Lone Survivor : The Eyewitness Account of Operation Redwing and the Lost Heroes of SEAL Team 10 by Marcus Luttrell

I happened to listen to this book and had a surreal experience as I listened to the last heroic moments of the life of Danny Dietz. He graduated from Heritage High School and I happened to be driving away from Colin's choir concert when I was at that particular part. So I listened to the recounting of his brave efforts fighting for our country while driving down the streets he must have driven many times.This book was so interesting. I gained a whole new respect for the training and the missions of Navy Seals. This is a sad but remarkable story of the worst special ops incident in US history. ( )
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
I received a copy of this novel in exchange for an honest review.

I REALLY liked this! As a huge fan of The Walking Dead, I wasn't sure how I would react to this zombie novel, but I was oh so pleasantly surprised. The writing was clear, descriptive, and engaging. Jim, the main character, was so human it hurt. Kudos for the plot twist that makes this not-your-typical-zombie novel. Throw in several amazing action scenes, and this is a winner in my book! So, why not five stars? Well, the cursing got a little gratuitous for my taste, and there was one scene that just didn't quite work for me (more on that below). But don't let that stop you! If you like the zombie genre AT ALL, add this to your collection.

Warning: spoilers ahead.

This novel follows the story of Jim, a massive redneck who is surviving the zombie apocalypse alone. Alone, that is, until his path bumps into a few others. First, there is Bigfoot. Yup, you heard that right. Bigfoot! I couldn't believe it when that happened, and it could have gotten really cheesy, really fast. But Jensen is so good that he just makes you feel like, oh, sure, well of course Bigfoot could totally appear after the world falls apart. It's only natural right? At least, that's how I felt, and I have absolutely no tolerance for cheese. And then!, Bigfoot gets bitten by one of the undead! Jim's got to be a goner for sure now, right? But, no! Jim manages to conk the big guy out before he turns. Jim is basically my hero, and if the zombie apocalypse ever occurs (and that's inevitable AMIRIGHT) I absolutely want a guy like Jim on my side.

Some time after Jim leaves Bigfoot (hopefully dead) he runs into two very damaged young women. After some internal battling on both sides they decide to remain a group. Then, they manage to pick up another young girl who was in desperate need of their help. The world after the apocalypse is a very grungy and disgustingly rapey place (yes, I just used rapey as a word). The whole time Jim is trying to survive with these three girls, he is constantly thinking of his old friend Bigfoot. He knows it is only a matter of time before the big guy finds him and kills them all, so he decides to go on the offensive. They have a very intense battle royale (a wonderfully descriptive scene) at the end of the book.

My only two complaints: 1)Sometimes the cursing felt unnecessary BUT who am I to know how we will talk after the world literally goes to hell. 2) There was one scene where Jim turns on a car radio to distract the dead. I'm thinking the whole time I'm reading this page (and for several pages after), how would there be any sound if there are no longer any radio stations? So that led me down this tangent: maybe one of the radio stations was hooked up to a generator (that is somehow miraculously still functioning) and maybe they put a broadcast on repeat and that is what is coming through the car radio. Anyway, I just got very distracted by that little element and it took away from some of the awesome.

So, who is going to like this book? Zombie fans (duh), but this does sometimes feel like a guy's guy view of the zombie apocalypse. There's nothing wrong with that, but ladies if you don't like gore, rape scenes described in detail, or a lot of cursing you might want to steer clear. I thought it was fantastic, and I'm hoping (*clasps hands together with a plaintive look on her face*) that there will be a sequel. ( )
  Raeleigh | Jan 14, 2016 |
What an eye-opening, incredible story. There's more cussing in it that I care to read, but I can get over that...I'm in awe of what this man survived, what other SEALS go through, and the incredible loyalty and love for country that they have. Powerful read... ( )
  Desdelyn | Jan 13, 2016 |
This is my 3rd Seal book in the past couple of months. This one to me was the bst. To be the lone survivor of a group that is as close as as they are that would have been a tough thing to deal with. Thank goodness for the Afghan locals that rescued him. ( )
  JWarrenBenton | Jan 4, 2016 |
Just because Luttrell got his facts wrong, criticized the rules of engagement needlessly, and misunderstands counter-insurgency, that doesn’t mean his memoir is bad art. Misguided definitely, but not necessarily a poor piece of writing.

Except Lone Survivor is a bad piece of writing, and I hope it will be forgotten in twenty years.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0316044695, Mass Market Paperback)

Four US Navy SEALS departed one clear night in early July 2005 for the mountainous Afghanistan-Pakistan border for a reconnaissance mission. Their task was to document the activity of an al Qaeda leader rumored to be very close to Bin Laden with a small army in a Taliban stronghold. Five days later, only one of those Navy SEALS made it out alive.

This is the story of the only survivor of Operation Redwing, SEAL fire team leader Marcus Luttrell, and the extraordinary firefight that led to the largest loss of life in American Navy SEAL history. His squadmates fought valiantly beside him until he was the only one left alive, blasted by an RPG into a place where his pursuers could not find him. Over the next four days, terribly injured and presumed dead, Luttrell crawled for miles through the mountains and was taken in by sympathetic villagers who risked their lives to keep him safe from surrounding Taliban warriors.

A born and raised Texan, Marcus Luttrell takes us from the rigors of SEAL training, where he and his fellow SEALs discovered what it took to join the most elite of the American special forces, to a fight in the desolate hills of Afghanistan for which they never could have been prepared. His account of his squadmates' heroism and mutual support renders an experience that is both heartrending and life-affirming. In this rich chronicle of courage and sacrifice, honor and patriotism, Marcus Luttrell delivers a powerful narrative of modern war.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:02 -0400)

"On a clear night in late June 2005, four U.S. Navy SEALs left their base in northern Afghanistan for the mountainous Pakistani border. Their mission was to capture or kill a notorious al Qaeda leader known to be ensconced in a Taliban stronghold surrounded by a small but heavily armed force. Less then twenty-four hours later, only one of those Navy SEALs remained alive.""This is the story of fire team leader Marcus Luttrell, the sole survivor of Operation Redwing, and the desperate battle in the mountains that led, ultimately, to the largest loss of life in Navy SEAL history. But it is also, more than anything, the story of his teammates, who fought ferociously beside him until he was the last one left - blasted unconscious by a rocket grenade, blown over a cliff, but still armed and still breathing. Over the next four days, badly injured and presumed dead, Luttrell fought off six al Qaeda assassins who were sent to finish him, then crawled for seven miles through the mountains before he was taken in by a Pashtun tribe, who risked everything to protect him from the encircling Taliban killers.""A six-foot-five-inch Texan, Leading Petty Officer Luttrell takes us, blow-by-blow, through the brutal training of America's warrior elite and the relentless rites of passage required by the Navy SEALs. He transports us to a monstrous battle fought in the desolate peaks of Afghanistan, where the beleaguered American team plummeted headlong a thousand feet down a mountain as they fought back through flying shale and rocks. In this chronicle of courage, honor, and patriotism, Marcus Luttrell delivers one of the most powerful narratives ever written about modern warfare - and a tribute to his teammates, who made the ultimate sacrifice for their country."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,036,949 books! | Top bar: Always visible