First Among Sequels by Jasper Fforde

First Among Sequels

by Jasper Fforde

Series: Thursday Next (5)

3,8031471,363 (3.97)1 / 286
    The City of Dreaming Books by Walter Moers (ljbwell)
    ljbwell: Funny, fantasy/alternative celebrations of books and writers and the magical worlds they create.
    Libriomancer by Jim C. Hines (one-horse.library)
    The Wee Musketeers by Robert Bresloff (FMRox)
    Fables, Vol. 2: Animal Farm by Bill Willingham (one-horse.library)
    Who's Afraid of Beowulf? by Tom Holt (Dr.Science)
    Dr.Science: The English author Tom Holt is relatively unknown in America, but very popular in England. If you enjoy Jasper Fforde or Christopher Moore you will most certainly enjoy Tom Holt's wry sense of English humor and the absurd. He has written a number of excellent books including Expecting Someone Taller, and Flying Dutch, but they may be difficult to find at your library or bookstore.… (more)

English (144)  French (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (147)
I struggled to see how Fforde could follow the last Thursday Next book when everything was tied up so well and unfortunately my fears were realised; I liked it the least of the Thursday books I've read so far. I don't like the time-skip (I really hate when authors do that, it often feels completely unnatural), I don't like the characterisation of her children, particularly the part where Tuesday solves Fermat's Last Theorem (why are authors so obsessed with relating intelligence back to that particular proof?), and the first hundred pages or so are just a retread of what we already know about the book world. I'll probably read the next one (hehe, Next) but I'm beginning to wonder if maybe it would have been better if he'd just stopped after four. ( )
  humblewomble | Oct 19, 2014 |
One of the best of this series. Set much later in time. I greatly enjoyed it. I was kept laughing throughout. Japser Fforde is a creative genius. ( )
  njcur | Sep 13, 2014 |
I enjoyed this latest installment in the Thursday Next series. I especially liked the interactions between Thursday and her previous incarnations, Thursday5 and Thursday1-4. I look forward to reading the next book in the series, One of Our Thursdays is Missing. ( )
  krin5292 | Aug 6, 2014 |
Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next books remind me of Dr. Who meets Monty Python meets British Literature. There's time travel and travel into the world of fiction. While I appreciated Fforde's humor and creativity, I have enjoyed other books in the series more than this one, which felt a little flat to me. I definitely recommend earlier volumes to anybody that loves the written word and a bit of wacky British humor. ( )
  MzzArts | Aug 2, 2014 |
There is more tap-dancing up and down the timeline than the usual excursions into the seamier side of novel life. While the future is saved from itself, and Thursday's son Friday gets a job. Thursday herself has to train another Thursday, fresh to the police, a real drippy one. Still funny, but less than the best Thursday novels. ( )
  DinadansFriend | Jul 30, 2014 |
By the time we reach the fifth volume, First Among Sequels, Fforde has firmly regained his footing, and the plot moves along like a well-turned simile.
added by Katya0133 | editYale Review, David Galef (Oct 1, 2008)

First Among Sequels is for adults who want sophisticated wit with their fantasy, but who still possess an appreciation for the intricate worldbuilding of a well-imagined children’s novel.
added by Katya0133 | editNew Statesman, Jean Edelstein (Aug 13, 2007)

While Fforde's humor can be affecting, it can also grate with its self-consciousness, as the author nudges readers to admire his verbal dexterity.
added by Katya0133 | editKirkus (Jul 23, 2007)

It's an ingenious premise that makes for a thrill ride of a read. And it's not entirely necessary — though perhaps more fun — to read the books in the proper order. Fforde gives enough background in "Thursday Next" to inform readers of all they need to know to find both books hilarious, exhilarating and just a bit exhausting.

Fans of satiric literary humor are in for a treat.
added by Katya0133 | editPublishers Weekly (May 14, 2007)

Jasper Ffordeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gray, EmilyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Koen, ViktorCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Meconis, DylanIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mudron, BillIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Perez, JosephCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thomas, MarkCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Cressida,
the bestest sister in the world
The dangerously high level of the stupidity surplus was once again the lead story in The Owl that morning.

Fourteen years after she pegged out at the 1988 SuperHoop, Thursday Next is grappling with a host of problems in the BookWorld: a recalcitrant new apprentice, the death of Sherlock Holmes, and the inexplicable departure of comedy from the once-hilarious Thomas Hardy novels. The Council of Genres is trying to broker a peace deal between certain antagonistic genres: Racy Novel has been recklessly placed between Ecclesiastical and Feminist, and they are at each other's throats. Meanwhile, back in Swindon, the government is reporting a dangerously high stupidity surplus, and Thursday's idle sixteen-year-old son would rather sleep all day than follow his destiny as a member of the ChronoGuard. Not only does she captain the ship Moral Dilemma to the very limits of acceptable narrative possibilities, but Thursday also finds she must face down her most vicious enemy yet: herself.

Literary sleuth Thursday Next is out to save literature in the fifth installment of Jasper Fforde’s wildly popular series

Beloved for his prodigious imagination, his satirical gifts, his literate humor, and sheer silliness, Jasper Fforde has delighted book lovers since Thursday Next first appeared in The Eyre Affair, a genre send-up hailed as an instant classic. Since the no-nonsense literary detective from Swindon made her debut, literature has never been quite the same. Neither have nursery rhymes, for that matter. With two successful books of the Nursery Crime series under his belt, Fforde takes up once again the brilliant adventures of his signature creation in the highly anticipated fifth installment of the Thursday Next series. And it’s better than ever.

It’s been fourteen years since Thursday pegged out at the 1988 SuperHoop, and Friday is now a difficult sixteen year old. However, Thursday’s got bigger problems. Sherlock Holmes is killed at the Rheinback Falls and his series is stopped in its tracks. And before this can be corrected, Miss Marple dies suddenly in a car accident, bringing her series to a close as well. When Thursday receives a death threat clearly intended for her written self, she realizes what’s going on—there is a serial killer on the loose in the Bookworld. And that’s not all—The Goliath Corporation is trying to deregulate book travel. Naturally, Thursday must travel to the outer limits of acceptable narrative possibilities to triumph against increasing odds.

Packed with word play, bizarre and entertaining subplots, and old-fashioned suspense, Thursday’s return is sure to be celebrated by Jasper’s fanatical fans and the critics who have loved him since the beginning.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:40:39 -0400)

Fourteen years after the 1988 SuperHoop, Thursday finds herself entangled in cases involving the murders of Sherlock Holmes and Miss Marple before receiving a death threat of her own.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,505,346 books! | Top bar: Always visible